WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 pm 
Crimebuster

When Rorschach goes to warn Veidt about his mask killer theory, he stands with his hat off the whole time, putting it on only as he leaves through the window into the rain.

Why do you peeps think this is? Especially in light of Rorschach's general abhorrence of liberals and politicians, and his comment about Veidt prostituting himself, not to mention his being "possibly homosexual".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Because Veidt is "a better class of person"...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Because Veidt is "a better class of person"...

AKA respect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

WJK wrote:
AKA respect.

I don't think that's it. Especially when he's sitting on Veidt's desk messing it all up. I don't think there's a deep answer. But if there is, I'd say it's the opposite of respect. I mean look at him. He's sitting on top of the guy's desk. Imagine visiting a friend at work and doing that. It's a little too relaxed, a little too familiar. He's just sitting there with his hat off, making himself at home. It's all part of his shtick. This casualness masks his main purpose, getting potential information out of Veidt. He's like Columbo in how he's being cordial, yet slightly pestering at the same time. (Imagine Peter Falk as Rorschach).

Rorschach: Well that's a lovely painting Adrian....very lovely indeed. Very interesting....whose that of?

Veidt: Oh...yes. It's of Alexander the Great. As he cut the Gordian knot.

Rorschach: Ah! Of course. Well, I better get out of your hair...oh, that reminds me....The Comedian died....you hear about that?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:16 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Another theory: Veidt's air conditioning is off and Ror's just coolin' down. u_u

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:26 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Bilious wrote:
Another theory: Veidt's air conditioning is off and Ror's just coolin' down. u_u

"No need. Fine like this."

t3cii wrote:
This casualness masks his main purpose, getting potential information out of Veidt. He's like Columbo in how he's being cordial, yet slightly pestering at the same time.

Maybe. But he kind of does the same thing with Dan beforehand, and with Jon and Laurie after. He's generally cordial and poses some leading questions, but leaves his hat on (and yep, now I can't Joe Cocker out of my head).

My guess: He does it on a whim, more or less. From a writing standpoint, Moore and Gibbons probably did it just to give the reader a better sense of what Rorschach looks like, being the first chapter of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:15 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I think t3cii hit it on the head. He's being deferential in a shallow, facetious way much like Columbo. Everything else he's doing is annoying and irksome. It's pretty damn funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:28 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I always kind of thought it was because he was inside and people generally take their hats off when they're indoors but he never takes it off indoors anywhere else in the book. He takes his hat off in the movie while in the Owl Cave but I guess that's just because he's scratching his head. I like the idea that he is just being cordial in a facetious way.