WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why the "Minute Men"?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:24 pm 
Crimebuster

In WM the two crime fighting organisations are the (rather cheesy and 50's sounding) "Crime Busters" and the original "Minute Men".

I was wondering what is the meaning behind the term "Minute Men"?

Is it simply a suggestion that they'll save the world in less than 60 seconds - or is there a deeper meaning?

Discuss.

1000 words on my desk by Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The Minutemen were British colonials who had an organized militia that could be ready for the call of duty at a moments notice. They'd be ready to go with musket, powder and supplies. I'm not exactly sure if this was pre-U.S. Revolutionary War or a response to the British invasion.

The Minutemen of the Watchmen world used this name for their vigiliante activities, as an organized group, of course. In Captain Metropolis' letter to Sally Jupiter, he proposes that vigiantes unite, suggesting the name "The New Minutemen" and others. Surely, this was used to invoke the idea that where there is crime hapening, a hero was right around the corner ready to stop it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:50 pm 
Crimebuster

Minutemen were militia men ready to fight against the brits within a minute's notice, during the American Revolution. The term has been used in a somewhat patriotic way, though not so much recently

Interesting sidenote, Freedom Force, the rpg game that parodied 1960s comic books, features the character of Minuteman as a homage to Captain America.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Name ties in so very well with the watch/clock motif.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:14 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Soupdragon wrote:
Name ties in so very well with the watch/clock motif.

Wow, I've never even thought about that! Thanks Soups!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:40 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

ManOWar wrote:
The Minutemen were British colonials who had an organized militia that could be ready for the call of duty at a moments notice. They'd be ready to go with musket, powder and supplies. I'm not exactly sure if this was pre-U.S. Revolutionary War or a response to the British invasion.

The term goes back into the 1640's, so pre-revolution. I think Massachusetts was the first colony to have 'minute men', who were a special group within the ranks of the regulars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:42 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

i once spotted a video on youtube called minutemen
i clicked eagerly awaiting watchmen goodies and then sat bored at my comp for 8 minutes waiting........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:06 am 
New Frontiersman

I believe that Minutemen was also a slang term for military personell who work on the Ballastic missiles systems in the 50's and 60's in the US defence systems. The guys who were actually in the silos who were meant to launch the ICBMs. They coined the term Minutemen as a reference to both the early colonial militias, and also the fact that they would only have minutes to react to any first strike by the then Soviet Russia.

I don't know if Moore was also potentially referencing this bit of slang, but it also ties in with the Doomsday clock theme and the impending nuclear war.....

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:24 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

It's also the name for a kind of nuclear warhead carrying ICBM.

Quote:
The Minuteman-I and Minuteman-II were in service from 1960 until 1997. The Minuteman-III was first deployed in 1969 and with the latest upgrades is expected to remain in service through the year 2025.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:35 am 
The Watcher

Soupdragon wrote:
It's also the name for a kind of nuclear warhead carrying ICBM.

Oh, that multi-layered text that Moore weaves so well. It's like the "artichoke" of graphic novels, too, I guess.