WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Veidt and Oppenheimer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 am 
Alien Squid Monster

The character of Adrian Veidt has many similarities with J. Robert Oppenheimer, "The Father of the Atomic Bomb".
Both were geniuses and both were egotistical and arrogant. They both saw themselves as superior beings and they looked down on the rest of humanity. They also both sought to end war by killing millions by inventing horrific and terrible creations. Both also used war as an excuse to focus on their own selfish needs, as Oppenheimer wanted to further his scientific knowledge and work on Nuclear Physics and the Manhattan project enabled him to do this, and Veidt wanted to raise himself to the global dominance of his idols Alexander and Ramesses, and creating his monster allowed him to do this.
I wonder if Moore used Oppenheimer as some of the inspiration that went into creating the character of Veidt.

- OZYMANDIAS - interview in NOVA/EXPRESS
Aug. 1977

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

To me, this is kind of like saying that Moore modeled Nite Owl after Batman. It's not inaccurate, but it's not the complete picture, either.

I think that Ozymandias was crafted as an illustration of how intelligence, ego and good intentions can lead to gross abuses of power. Oppenheimer is certainly a good real-life case in point, but definitely not the only one.