WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:16 pm 
So impotent.

Hey guys. Im new so please dont bash me :(. Anyway why does Rorscach hate the Silk Spectre's? Have they ever really done anything bad to him in the past? does he just hate women? Do you guys know?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 pm 
Vigilante

First of all, welcome!

Rorschach's attitude towards women is complicated. Thanks to his mother's career in prostitution, he has a strong disdain against women who make sort of a sexual spectacle of themselves, and towards sex in general - thus, he suppresses any lustful emotions he may have. Both Sally and Laurie had revealing costumes that accentuated their female form, and it made Rorschach uncomfortable to think about them.

I don't necessarily think he hated Laurie, just her costume. He says that he's glad to see her fighting crime again; he just doesn't like the way she dresses when she does it.

Rorshach's journal. October 16, 1985. Been waiting in Moloch's fridge for three hours. Ate two raw eggs and packet of honey mustard sauce. Just realized I am sitting on baking soda. Freezing ass off. Really have to take leak.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm 
Tired of Earth.

jbkovacs86 wrote:
Rorschach's attitude towards women is complicated. Thanks to his mother's career in prostitution, he has a strong disdain against women who make sort of a sexual spectacle of themselves, and towards sex in general - thus, he suppresses any lustful emotions he may have. Both Sally and Laurie had revealing costumes that accentuated their female form, and it made Rorschach uncomfortable to think about.

Not to mention that Silk Spectre Sr. made a career out of crimefighting for the sole purpose of finding career as a model. She was cashing in on her superheroics, much as Veidt would a few decades later. To that end, Rorschach sees them both as prostitutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
jbkovacs86 wrote:
Rorschach's attitude towards women is complicated. Thanks to his mother's career in prostitution, he has a strong disdain against women who make sort of a sexual spectacle of themselves, and towards sex in general - thus, he suppresses any lustful emotions he may have. Both Sally and Laurie had revealing costumes that accentuated their female form, and it made Rorschach uncomfortable to think about.

Not to mention that Silk Spectre Sr. made a career out of crimefighting for the sole purpose of finding career as a model. She was cashing in on her superheroics, much as Veidt would a few decades later. To that end, Rorschach sees them both as prostitutes.

And a further example to support this: In The Last Samurai, Ken Watanabe's character states that the country and government of Japan is a whore for selling herself to the military training of the United States.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:27 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I don't think Rorschach hates Silk Spectre. He just says she is a "whore", in a figurative way: "The first Silk Spectre is a bloated aging whore, dying in a californian rest resort." (I, 19).

He just believes that she acts and dresses like a whore. This doesn't mean that he hates Silk Spectre.

I suspect that Rorschach believes Silk Spectre is responsible for being raped, due to her sexual behavior. When Kovaks was just a kid he saw his mother having sex with a client and thought she was suffering an injury. "I thought he was hurting you." (VI, 4). To him, sex and pain are strongly connected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:00 pm 
Crimebuster

Rorschach may not hate Laurie, but she sure hates him. When he visits Dr.M to warn him about the "Mask killer" she calls him a maggot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:04 pm 
Crimebuster

I'd like to also point out how Rorschach calls his job working with women's clothing was "unpleasant" and how this could relate to his dislike of the Silk Spectres

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

He doesn't hate them....just the way they dress makes him uneasy and reminds him of his mother since the outfits are revealing.

I think the outfits might also turn him on a bit which bothers him because he tries to keep those feelings out of his mind but it's harder to keep them out when women are walking around in those outfits. Rorschach wears an outfit that hides if he gets turned on. LOL.

Anyway, there was a part in the comic where Rorchach says to Dan something like "Too bad miss Jupiter couldn't be with us." and Dan says something like "Yes....yes it's too bad."

So Rorschach wanted her to be there for some reason. He definitly doesn't hate her.

His trust in women is kind of bad though due to what happened with his mother. He told Dan that he's too trusting of women. I think Rorschach likes females and is actually attracted to females but he feels very uncomfortable around them.

Saying that Rorschach hates females is definitly not the right answer. And I mean, Rorschach never physically harms any females.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:59 am 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

People Must Be Told. wrote:
Arguably the most pivotal moments in Walter Kovacs's life hinge upon his feelings towards females... two in particular that he never even knew personally.

Would a confirmed misogynist have given enough of a shit about poor Kitty Genovese to then take to a life of costumed crimefighting as a reaction to the tragedy that befell her? Then consider little Blair Roche; whilst Walter's obvious empathy towards the plight of a frightened abused child and corresponding hatred of those who indulge in such abuse was a major factor in the emergence of the extreme and uncompromising Rorschach persona, here is undeniably another example of it being the fate of a member of the fairer sex that represents the type of injustice that provides Kovacs with his very reason for living.

It's interesting that you say that. It seems that Rorschach cares greatly for females.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm 
Crimebuster

With the exception of the whores of course, I had the feeling he wanted to give his landlady a peice of his mind, and there's the famouse "And all the whores and polititions will look up and shout 'Save us!' ans I will look down and whisper 'No'".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:18 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Bernard wrote:
With the exception of the whores of course, I had the feeling he wanted to give his landlady a peice of his mind, and there's the famouse "And all the whores and polititions will look up and shout 'Save us!' ans I will look down and whisper 'No'".

Well he wouldn't want to save a whore but would he physically hurt one?

I wonder what Rorschach would think of my sister.....she is very prude. XD Back when we were in highschool and had to wear uniforms some other girls would be rolling their skirts up but my sister would actually wear SHORTS under her skirt so that no one could ever see up it no matter what. She also added some sewing to a shirt she got recently to prevent people from looking down it and about 2 years ago when my sister and I were in a store, she called some shirts "Scandalous." I lol'd so hard. XD I mean I will at least wear my mini-skirts....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:14 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

You know, for a long time I wondered why he didn't idolize Hollis Mason like Dan did. I thought Rorschach would certainly agree with Hollis' values. But he doesn't because Hollis wrote a book about the experience, and in Rorschach's mind, that's whoring himself out, too. (Mind you, Hollis doesn't seem to have made a lot of money off the book, but any money at all destroys the purity of the calling for Rors, I think.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Janx wrote:
You know, for a long time I wondered why he didn't idolize Hollis Mason like Dan did.

Hollis quit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:49 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Janx wrote:
You know, for a long time I wondered why he didn't idolize Hollis Mason like Dan did.

Hollis quit.

Well, yeah...there is that. Somehow, though, I would think even Rorschach would admit (on some level) that when you're not physically up to it anymore, it's okay to leave the field of battle. He'd never allow that for himself, but I think he'd grudgingly admit that for someone like Hollis who'd gotten older and presumably slower. (I wish Rors could have seen Hollis' last moments. He would have been proud of him for going down fighting.) Dan quit when he was still in his prime, and was so capable he could still take down thugs after years of inaction. I think that's what disgusts Rorschach about Dan -- he still could, but he doesn't bother. He lets his fear stop him.

Another thing -- Dan quit when he was told to. Rorschach remarks about the Comedian, "Didn't let anyone retire him". Hollis picked his own time to quit. (On the other hand, as I recall, he, like Dan, quit not only because it was time, but because he'd become disillusioned.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:00 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Janx wrote:

Hollis quit.

Compromised.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:10 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Raine Summerfly wrote:
I wonder what Rorschach would think of my sister... she called some shirts "Scandalous." I lol'd so hard. XD I mean I will at least wear my mini-skirts....

That's actually kind of cute (and I don't mean that pervy or sarcastically)

I don't think Rorschach hates the SS's, for many of the above reasons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:06 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Janx wrote:
You know, for a long time I wondered why he didn't idolize Hollis Mason like Dan did. I thought Rorschach would certainly agree with Hollis' values. But he doesn't because Hollis wrote a book about the experience, and in Rorschach's mind, that's whoring himself out, too. (Mind you, Hollis doesn't seem to have made a lot of money off the book, but any money at all destroys the purity of the calling for Rors, I think.)

I wonder if Rorschach thinks that people whore themselves out in a sense just by wearing revealing clothes even if they aren't actually selling themselves?

Even though I'm a virgin, I wonder if wearing mini-skirts would make him see me as whoring myself out. o_o You know it gets really hot in the summer....I don't want to wear pants and even longer skirts aren't as cool as a shorter one. LOL.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Raine Summerfly wrote:
I wonder what Rorschach would think of my sister... she called some shirts "Scandalous." I lol'd so hard. XD I mean I will at least wear my mini-skirts....

That's actually kind of cute (and I don't mean that pervy or sarcastically)

I don't think Rorschach hates the SS's, for many of the above reasons
[/quote]

You mean it's cute that my sister said that or it's cute that I still wear mini-skirts? LOL. I assume you mean the comment my sister made though.

Actually recently when I was wearing one of my mini-skirts my sister and I were sitting on a bench and she was just like "When you sit down in a mini-skirt, don't your panties end up actually touching the seat....or on the subway, touching the seat."

And I was just like....."Yes, that happens." And she was just like "I could never do that. That's kind of disgusting."

LOL. XD Sometimes she's also like "Careful, you almost flashed me." LOL.

I never go commando without underwear though....but I'm surprised by how many people do. o_O

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:58 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

People Must Be Told. wrote:
Arguably the most pivotal moments in Walter Kovacs's life hinge upon his feelings towards females... two in particular that he never even knew personally.

Would a confirmed misogynist have given enough of a shit about poor Kitty Genovese to then take to a life of costumed crimefighting as a reaction to the tragedy that befell her? Then consider little Blair Roche; whilst Walter's obvious empathy towards the plight of a frightened abused child and corresponding hatred of those who indulge in such abuse was a major factor in the emergence of the extreme and uncompromising Rorschach persona, here is undeniably another example of it being the fate of a member of the fairer sex that represents the type of injustice that provides Kovacs with his very reason for living.

Genovese's story was "moving to him" in reference to the people who watched her getting killed, he never expresses empathy towards her, he was more concerned about the people who did nothing, even the prison psicoanalyst accurately deduces that Genovese was not what created Rorschach.

And about Blair Roche, i don't think Rory cared that the bone was from a boy or a girl :lol:

Rorschach had several issues with women, and like always he manages to turn those issues into thoughts about how society is corrupted to the core, blah blah blah.