WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I was reading the last chapter of Watchmen and I thought, "How would this affect the world in the aftermath of this horrible event?" I began to think about the political, social and environmental consequences and I wonder what you guys think would have or have not happened. How would modern history be different?

Personally, I don't think that 9/11 would've happened since we wouldn't have been funding the groups in Afghanistan that eventually became al Qaeda.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:38 pm 
Tired of Earth.

well yeah, if peace lasted at least until 1993, then there would have been no Gulf War. therefore, Osama and them silly towelheads in their caves wouldn't bomb our buildings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 pm 
Tired of Earth.

The answer to that question depends on a lot of things. The discovery/abandonment of Rorschach's Journal, the date of Veidt's death, the activities of Nite Owl and Silk Spectre, additional measures taken by Veidt to prolong his world peace, the day when the peace inevitably breaks... These are all factors that heavily influence the future of the Watchmen world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 am 
Minuteman

The effects of Veidt's plan are basically temporary: He simply buys more time to come up with a diplomatic solution. What happens when no more squids appear?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:32 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Ade Bamforth wrote:
The effects of Veidt's plan are basically temporary: He simply buys more time to come up with a diplomatic solution. What happens when no more squids appear?

all he has to do is make another one. the sequencing of the genes of the beast would have been the hardest bit, recreating it would be relatively simple, or he could fake some ufos or something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Some things will inevitably be out of Veidt's control, if 9/11 didn't happen, then maybe something else will, logically it wouldn't happen since the US wouldn't have any reason to fund the rebellions on Afghanistan, but something else could happen.

Besides, the ending pretty much implies that something terrible is going to happen all over again, Veidt's plan failed because of Rorschach's journal, the smiley shirt tainted by the sauce could be a representation of how it's all going to happen again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:46 pm 
New Frontiersman

This discussion reminds me a bit of the pronouncements of Francis Fukuyama in 1989 that we were witnessing the "End of History".

Moore (using Dr Manhattan as a proxy) had it right: Nothing ever ends 8-)

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:15 am 
Crimebuster

Ade Bamforth wrote:

all he has to do is make another one. the sequencing of the genes of the beast would have been the hardest bit, recreating it would be relatively simple, or he could fake some ufos or something.

One would hope that he wouldn't be maintaining this external threat. He killed 100's of millions of people. why would he continue? Even if it did prevent war's from happening at what cost. It wouldn't make any sense to keep killing people in the name of peace... that's just war isn't it? even if it is from just one man. I agree that the solution is temporary. They never really shed light as to whether or not he had a diplomatic solution. I would however guess that the second alien would be, if only slightly, less devastating then the first and so on and so on.

Thomas Grasso, executed in Oklahoma in 1995

did you know that young rorschach was played by director Zack Snyder's son? true story.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:22 am 
Tired of Earth.

littlebernie wrote:
Even if it did prevent war's from happening at what cost. It wouldn't make any sense to keep killing people in the name of peace... that's just war isn't it? even if it is from just one man.
No, I disagree. A war requires two distinct parties killing each other by the millions. When it's just one party doing all the killing, that's either mass murder or genocide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:28 am 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm 
Crimebuster

People Must Be Told. wrote:
littlebernie wrote:
One would hope that he wouldn't be maintaining this external threat. He killed 100's of millions of people. why would he continue?

To supplement the initial horror of three million being killed at a single stroke, the 'psychic shockwave' produced by Veidt's creature is the mechanism by which he specifically intends to maintain the external threat you refer to: ...sensitives worldwide will have bad dreams for years to come. No one will doubt this Earth has met a force so dreadful it must be repelled, all former enmities aside.

littlebernie wrote:
I agree that the solution is temporary. They never really shed light as to whether or not he had a diplomatic solution.

Whilst we are never explicity told what Veidt has planned in the aftermath of the attack on NYC, it is nevertheless all too apparent that he does indeed have further initiatives in store which, I guess for want of a better term, could be considered a "diplomatic solution": I saved Earth from Hell. Next, I'll help her towards Utopia.

Veidt's own arrogant total belief in his absolute intellectual right to act as mankind's self-appointed saviour makes his continuing meddling in humanity's affairs inevitable, as he strives to mould society into his image of perfection in what Rorschach himself recognises is intended to be "Veidt's new Utopia". We know that Veidt has surreptitiously tapped into all facets of everyday life; the constant, seemingly innocuous depiction of multifarious Veidt brand household products throughout is ample example of this. Together with the depiction of the prophetic Millenium advertising billboards overlooking the site where Pyramid Construction is, quite aptly, carrying out the job of rebuilding alongside the 'New Utopia' cinema, we are left in no doubt whatsoever that this brave new world is already beginning to take shape according to Veidt's overall grand scheme, influenced by his own guiding hand.

littlebernie wrote:
I would however guess that the second alien would be, if only slightly, less devastating then the first and so on and so on.

The biggest and best practical jokes only ever work the one time and this was the biggest of all. In purely practical terms, the utter destruction of the Institute For Extraspatial Studies makes the hoax unrepeatable since the supposed 'work' being carried out here was instrumental in lending credence to the whole dimensional breach aspect of explaining the creature's appearance; I doubt the world would be in too much of a hurry to repeat this so-called experiment again and risk similar consequences.

Anyway, why go to the bother of repeating the process when you've gone and ensured that half the world remains indefinitely shit scared by psychically programming their brains with a blast of concentrated ESP, knowing full well that this will then maintain the requisite climate of fear needed to keep the other half in line too? No need.

Very impressive response.

Thomas Grasso, executed in Oklahoma in 1995

did you know that young rorschach was played by director Zack Snyder's son? true story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:34 am 
A pretty butterfly.

littlebernie wrote:
Very impressive response.

Yeah, People Must Be Told. is definitely one of the most insightful members of the site.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:13 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

SMBC's take is pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:50 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

AYBGerrardo wrote:

:lol:

That's surprisingly insightful.