WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:38 am 
Minuteman

I've been pondering over whether this subject warrants its own thread for a while now; thinking about different ways to approach it. I didn't just want to make a "shout out" about it and leave it at that, but to actually contribute to something that would generate a discussion/activity.

We all know about the Superman "logo", in Chapter I, on the Rockefeller Military Research Center sign, and that Nite Owl II is very much a nod to Batman in the way that Dan's a wealthy person who's quite a tech-wiz and builds gadgets that are connected to his hero persona. But, how many other possible "homages" are hidden in there?

A while ago I reread Under The Hood and in Chapter III of it, the story of how Hollis chose the name Nite Owl feels very much like a homage to Daredevil, in which someone at work gave him the name "Nite Owl" out of sarcasm because Hollis didn't feel like drinking with him, and later Hollis took that name for himself when he became a costumed hero. If you're not familiar with Daredevil that's pretty much the story of how he got his name; Matt Murdock was bullied as a child and never fought back, as a result the bullies called him Daredevil. It feels very much like a homage to me.

Another one; much about Adrian Veidt feels like he's written somewhat as a homage to Tony Stark and Iron Man - self made entrepreneur, very smart, comes forward with his identity (although Adrian did it after he quit). (This one's a bit of a stretch though.)

I'm sure there are more in there - after all, pretty much everything Watchmen is built upon (and is tearing down) is related to superheroes, so why shouldn't there be homages to them in there - so I thought it'd be a cool thing to see if anyone else has noticed things like these.

So, what've you found?

(Oh, and we can "discount", Blue Beetle, The Atom, The Question and the rest of the Charlton Heroes at once, because that's the first thing you learn when you research Watchmen. Don't make it easy on yourself. :P ;))

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 pm 
A brother to dragons.

simon rohrmuller wrote:
Oh, and we can "discount", Blue Beetle, The Atom, The Question and the rest of the Charlton Heroes at once, because that's the first thing you learn when you research Watchmen. Don't make it easy on yourself. :P ;)

Before we completely discount the orignal Charlton guys, I think it's important to consider what connections are inevitable; because you're comparing archetypes based on simulacrums of homages, some overlap is inescapable. Thinking along your same lines, I once convinced myself that Moore had written Ozymandias's mystical background of eastern studies as an allusion to Dr. Strange, completely forgetting that Pete Cannon, Thunderbolt even existed.

I love the idea of this thread, and I look forward to seeing people's responses.

Here's my first:

Gold from the Metal Men might seem a bit of a stretch as an homage of Dr. Manhattan, until you consider the groovy symbol on the forehead, and the odd, seemingly tangential reminiscence/conversation Manhattan had with Janey Slater about supernovas.

Post subject: You Know What I Meant
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:36 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Broken Finger wrote:
Gold from the Metal Men might seem a bit of a stretch as an homage of Dr. Manhattan...

Strike that, reverse it, and my point remains. This is what happens when I try to use too many multisyllable words...durh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Going all the way back to 02/26/2008 and from another thread, but still originating from this site, is fan-favorite Vynson with this possible homage, just sort of casually tossed out there in the middle of another idea (because that's the kind of dude he is):

Vynson wrote:
Intersting aside. J'onn J'onzz (pronounced John Jones?) is the Martian Manhunter... and Jon ends up going to Mars... where he ends up hunting for the fate of mankind. Gotta love Alan Moore, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:15 pm 
Minuteman

The way I view things, although Rorchach are similarities to other characters such as The Question, Rorchach and Nite Owl are the two sides of Batman: Nite Owl the romantic do-gooding side of early adventures, Rorchach the borderline psychopathic side of more recent adaptations.

Post subject: Comic Homages
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I absolutely agree, Mr. Bamforth. Nite Owl fights crime with a buttload of gadgets and his deceased parent's wealth and Rorschach, unlucky bastard that he is, got the crap end of the Batman stick with all of Bruce Wayne's psychoses and neurotic self-loathing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:44 am 
Minuteman

The symbol on the power-hydrants is very similar to The Flash's symbol in that it's a bolt of lightning inside a circle. Both bolts are extending beyond the circle they're in, they're thinning at either end and pointing to five past full-, respectively half-hour. The only difference is really that whereas The Flash's bolt is three "jags", the hydrants' is only two.