WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Talkin' 'Bout Bubastis.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:05 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I have decided to create a thread solely devoted to the discussion of Adrian Veidt's genetically altered lynx, Bubastis. Can I justify this? I doubt it. Hopefully we can drum up some interesting conversation regardless.

To start things off, do you prefer Orange Bubastis or Purple Bubastis?

I leave you for now to ponder this question and to gaze upon this simultaneously funny and depressing piece of art on said subject matter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:12 pm 

This is not a rhetorical thread. Someone respond to my ingenious discussion topic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:42 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Well, you didn't leave an awful lot to start with, Godziller. Let me see if I can contribute something more.

First off, Bubastis should definitely be purple.

Secondly, let's remember that Bubastis was not born, but pretty much built. Genetically engineered in one of Veidt's laboratories. Considering that Bubastis is the only living creature that Veidt seems to trust completely, this implies that Veidt is nigh-incapable of making friends unless he's literally making them.

It's also worth noting that Bubastis is pretty much an overgrown housecat, and nobody really buys a pet unless they're looking for a constant, unconditional means of love and/or entertainment. I mean, look at X.7.3. Most pet owners I know kneel for their pets on occasion (much as Laurie does in IV.21.3), but Veidt doesn't. He doesn't even move to pet her, he just allows her to eagerly lick his hand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:06 pm 

Good response. Do you like purple Bubastis because she looks more exotic? I didn't realize until now but she also fits in with Veidt's purple color scheme in the movie. She is more purple than blue right? I haven't seen the movie recently.

I refuse to let this thread not live!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:36 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Godziller66 wrote:
Good response. Do you like purple Bubastis because she looks more exotic? I didn't realize until now but she also fits in with Veidt's purple color scheme in the movie. She is more purple than blue right? I haven't seen the movie recently.

She was purple in the movie, yes. In the book, she was more of a maroon color (Watchmen is a graphic novel too, remember?).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:44 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
(Watchmen is a graphic novel too, remember?).

You said:

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
First off, Bubastis should definitely be purple.

Seeing as how Bubastis was never purple in the graphic novel, why would you say that?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
Seeing as how Bubastis was never purple in the graphic novel, why would you say that?

Well, the two choices were orange and purple, and Bubastis is definitely closer to purple in both iterations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Well, the two choices were orange and purple, and Bubastis is definitely closer to purple in both iterations.

Am I color blind or were we not reading the same novel?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:58 pm 
Minuteman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
t3cii wrote:

Looks closer to orange to me...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:45 pm 
Tired of Earth.

more red, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm 
Human Bean Juice

WJK wrote:
more red, actually.

Reddish-dark pink?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:52 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Pretty much straight up orange in that first pic. I guess I visually prefer the purple-blue color from the film...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm 

Umm lest this continue further into a "What color is Bubastis?" thread, Do you think there's any more significance to Bubastis' name other than her being named after a feline god? If so, does that have any significant connection to Rameses II aka Ozymandias?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Godziller66 wrote:
Umm lest this continue further into a "What color is Bubastis?" thread, Do you think there's any more significance to Bubastis' name other than her being named after a feline god? If so, does that have any significant connection to Rameses II aka Ozymandias?

Well, Bubastis is a city in Ancient Egypt that served as a center for Bastet worshipers. Additionally, a huge part of the city was set aside for cat cemeteries.

I don't see any connection between the city and Rameses II, so I think that's as far as the symbolism goes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm 

Hmm Cat Cemeteries=Bubastis Death?

Must remember to investigate further.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:14 pm 
Tired of Earth.

although Bubastis is a lynx, Rorschach continually called her a cat. there's something i guess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:50 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The lynxes are cats, actually medium size cats.

Her artificial color has no significance (imho), only evidencing that she is a genetically altered animal. She is also very inteligent, so this means that Adrian's scientists were able to develop a brain by 1975 (IV, 21). Curiously, in 1975 Ozymandias has retired.

If you look at Ch. XI, 18, you'll notice that Ozymandias used to have a cat as a pet. This happens after 1963 and before 1966. The cat might as well have lived for 10 to 12 years, preceding Bubastis.

Obviously both cats show that Adrian suffer a strong influence and inspiration from the pharaohs (XI, 10, 7).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 pm 

Gourmet wrote:
The lynxes are cats, actually medium size cats.

Her artificial color has no significance (imho), only evidencing that she is a genetically altered animal. She is also very inteligent, so this means that Adrian's scientists were able to develop a brain by 1975 (IV, 21). Curiously, in 1975 Ozymandias has retired.

If you look at Ch. XI, 18, you'll notice that Ozymandias used to have a cat as a pet. This happens after 1963 and before 1966. The cat might as well have lived for 10 to 12 years, preceding Bubastis.

Obviously both cats show that Adrian suffer a strong influence and inspiration from the pharaohs (XI, 10, 7).

I always forget about that panel in the book until I re-read it. I always thought that was really neat how he had a mini version of his future lair complete with tiny cat and three tv screens. I wonder what the cat's name was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:48 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Godziller66 wrote:
I wonder what the cat's name was.

Peritas, perhaps? I'm not real sure why Bubastis wasn't Peritas. Maybe it's because the previous cat was. Or maybe Ozy had a dog once, too...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:32 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I've personally always wondered why he named her after the city instead of the goddess (ie, why he called her Bubastis instead of Bast or Bastet).