WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Who is your favorite Watchmen character?
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs) 49%  49%  [ 109 ]
Dr. Manhattan (Jon Osterman) 11%  11%  [ 25 ]
Nite-Owl (Dan Dreiberg) 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
The Silk Spectre (Laurie Juspeczyk) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Ozymandias (Adrian Vedit) 7%  7%  [ 16 ]
The Comedian (Edward Blake) 15%  15%  [ 34 ]
Sally Jupiter 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Hollis Mason 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Dr. Malcolm Long 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 223
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:35 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

haha lol i'll have to leave you to that (though i should warn you: in any forum you should'nt ever take an admin's support for granted)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
thankfully the great admin here is lenient on things like swearing...

No worries. It's generally accepted that we're all mature enough to handle the occasional F-bomb here.

And personally, I think "H-fucking-core" describes the Comedian pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm 
The Watcher

BTW, if you're one of the two people that chose "other" tell me who they were and I'll add them to the poll list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:17 am 
Vigilante

I had an almost tie between Dan and Rorschach but in the end, I went with Rorschach.

Some of my favorite moments in the novel involve Dan and Rorschach's dysfunctional friendship and their history as crime fighting partners.

Dan is an amazing character. I love his outward 'average Joe' appearance and his kindness. I value him as a character who still maintains an innocence even after all he's seen and done and his obvious, internal, oddities.

I love Rorschach because I ALWAYS enjoy the "crazy" characters. I also have a fascination with how his mind perceives the world.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:54 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Is it any surprise? The Comedian. And though I'm fangirl enough to have squeed mightily upon finding out who had been cast as Blake, he was my 'favorite' before that.

If I meet Edward Blake as a real person, I think I would feel nothing but contempt and intense dislike. However in a work of literature where we get some insights into what ELSE the man was behind the surface, he becomes, if not exactly likable, more understandable.

Blake grew. Though he was vicious and brutal, he was more than JUST that. He had the capacity for more than that. It was mostly unrealized and unfulfilled, but it was there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:11 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

JDsgirlBev wrote:

If I meet Edward Blake as a real person, I think I would feel nothing but contempt and intense dislike. However in a work of literature where we get some insights into what ELSE the man was behind the surface, he becomes, if not exactly likable, more understandable.

yes, that pretty much sums up the character...n1!
i mean, i'd think we'd all be inclined to see him as laurie does (before her discovery)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:50 pm 
So impotent.

I voted for Ozymandias.
why?
not for sympathy votes.

Of the few people who voted, Ozymandias does not seem to be the most popular. Some might find him to be one of the least likable characters because of his ego, "wrongdoing", or what not. However, his character is quite dynamic, evolved, and not your typical stock character.

Adrian was a man of character, ideals, strong will, and of all the characters the most successful. Rorschach viewed him as a prostitute, telling him he "sold himself", when in reality Veidt was a true entrepreneur. He gave away a multi-million dollar inheritance in his early years only to regain it from scratch. Because of his immense intelligence, he was only working to better himself as not only a person but a contributer to society. Of all the characters, he was the true hero seeking peace, not involved in his own personal day to day problems. Because of his ideals, he worked on bringing peace to the world. As "wrong" and "unsympathetic" of his part to make the decision to "murder" half of New York, he was a utilitarian seeking the greater good. And the end justifies the mean because in theory, the death of the New Yorkers saved everyone else. Adrian was the only character who had a goal, stuck to it, and accomplished it. Which is something the other "watchmen" couldn't even begin to come close to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:26 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

MLG wrote:
I voted for Ozymandias.
why?
not for sympathy votes.

Of the few people who voted, Ozymandias does not seem to be the most popular. Some might find him to be one of the least likable characters because of his ego, "wrongdoing", or what not. However, his character is quite dynamic, evolved, and not your typical stock character.

Adrian was a man of character, ideals, strong will, and of all the characters the most successful. Rorschach viewed him as a prostitute, telling him he "sold himself", when in reality Veidt was a true entrepreneur. He gave away a multi-million dollar inheritance in his early years only to regain it from scratch. Because of his immense intelligence, he was only working to better himself as not only a person but a contributer to society. Of all the characters, he was the true hero seeking peace, not involved in his own personal day to day problems. Because of his ideals, he worked on bringing peace to the world. As "wrong" and "unsympathetic" of his part to make the decision to "murder" half of New York, he was a utilitarian seeking the greater good. And the end justifies the mean because in theory, the death of the New Yorkers saved everyone else. Adrian was the only character who had a goal, stuck to it, and accomplished it. Which is something the other "watchmen" couldn't even begin to come close to.

Very well said, you have some really interesting inputs. Welcome to the board ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:44 am 
New Frontiersman

ALthough I think that Adrian and John are actually a more interesting characters from a pyschological point of view, I just love Rorschach, his sense of humour and total dedication to the job.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:14 pm 
Existence is random.

Rorschach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:40 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Rorschach. Duh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

The Veidt Method wrote:
Rorschach. Duh.

Yet you're promoting Veidt!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:25 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Poncho_E wrote:
The Veidt Method wrote:
Rorschach. Duh.

Yet you're promoting Veidt!?

I agree with Veidt's ideals, but Rorschach is the most intriguing character by far. Veidt isn't anywhere near him in terms of conflict - he's essentially got one mindset that just isn't clear until the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I'm a huge fan of Dan, what he stands for, and how good of a person he is and remains in the center of the escalating shitstorm. His awkward romance with Laurie is a perfect counterpoint to the darkness that eats away at most of the book.

That said, the first time I read Rorschach's "human bean juice" quip, I knew I met an unforgettable character.

So I voted for Rorschach, like everybody, but if I could vote for another character as well, it'd be Dan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 pm 
Crimebuster

I chose Dr. Manhattan, he's got all the power in the world and yet he seems so lost (well, up until the end). It rips my little heart in twain. :cry: Of all the characters he definitely touches me the most.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:50 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Although I got sympathy for the Comedian and Rorschach, Veidt is my favoriute. With an ego of the size of Mars, he has everything under control. All events, from The Comedian murdering (by himself) and Manhattan's departure were carefully planned. A cunning plan to restore peace and preserve this World. Because what's the use of being the most intelligent being in the planet if there is no planet?

Now, I must admit that when I was reading Watchmen for first time, Veidt felt like a secondary character, with no importance through the story...and oh man, I was so wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:33 pm 
Minuteman

Chiffon Phantom wrote:
I chose Dr. Manhattan, he's got all the power in the world and yet he seems so lost (well, up until the end). It rips my little heart in twain. :cry: Of all the characters he definitely touches me the most.

>insert filthy joke here< :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:25 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The comedian is hands down the coolest character, he's a complete and utter scumbag, but we cant say ''oh the comedian sucks''. He just has this quality...not sure what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:15 pm 
So impotent.

Rorschach is blatantly the best character, but Dreiberg was a very close second, don't ask me why. Rorschach's sheer bluntness and lack of any sort of morals on any level makes his character so much better when emotions come into play with him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:18 pm 
New Frontiersman

Rorschach? Lack of any sort of morals on any level?

Have we read the same book here? He embraced death rather than compromise his morality.

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next