WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Who is your favorite Watchmen character?
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs) 49%  49%  [ 109 ]
Dr. Manhattan (Jon Osterman) 11%  11%  [ 25 ]
Nite-Owl (Dan Dreiberg) 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
The Silk Spectre (Laurie Juspeczyk) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Ozymandias (Adrian Vedit) 7%  7%  [ 16 ]
The Comedian (Edward Blake) 15%  15%  [ 34 ]
Sally Jupiter 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Hollis Mason 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Dr. Malcolm Long 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 223
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:22 pm 
Offline
So impotent.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 4
In response to crime, or Big Figure for instance, it doesn't seem to matter to Rorschach what happens to them, maybe I said it in the wrong way, what I meant was how, ever since the kidnapping, he doesn't hold any kind of... relativity over lives of the criminals, and acts emotionless even to people closest to him.

I guess lack of any sort of morals on any level was the wrong thing to say.

But he is still the best character.

_________________
But Doctor, I am Pagliacci.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 45
The_Jackal wrote:
In response to crime, or Big Figure for instance, it doesn't seem to matter to Rorschach what happens to them, maybe I said it in the wrong way, what I meant was how, ever since the kidnapping, he doesn't hold any kind of... relativity over lives of the criminals, and acts emotionless even to people closest to him.

I guess lack of any sort of morals on any level was the wrong thing to say.

But he is still the best character.



I think what you mean Jackal (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Rorschach is so morally rigid he can use his "morals" to justify being a violent fascist. Which itself, isn't very moral.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:33 pm 
Offline
So impotent.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 4
Chiffon Phantom wrote:
The_Jackal wrote:
In response to crime, or Big Figure for instance, it doesn't seem to matter to Rorschach what happens to them, maybe I said it in the wrong way, what I meant was how, ever since the kidnapping, he doesn't hold any kind of... relativity over lives of the criminals, and acts emotionless even to people closest to him.

I guess lack of any sort of morals on any level was the wrong thing to say.

But he is still the best character.



I think what you mean Jackal (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Rorschach is so morally rigid he can use his "morals" to justify being a violent fascist. Which itself, isn't very moral.


That's right, I just wasn't sure how I should put it, but that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for putting it into words for me! :D

_________________
But Doctor, I am Pagliacci.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:15 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:06 pm
Posts: 38
Rorschach. I love his dry sense of humor, his completely black and white view of the world, and he gets some of the best lines in the book.

_________________
Mr. Moore, will you sign my copy of Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:20 pm
Posts: 789
Location: United States
Dr. Manhattan. Not someone I would want to have lunch with, but he's a really interesting character. He's so unpredictable, and yet nothing he does surprises me. The way he experiences time, and how he acts surprised about things even though he knows they're going to happen...so weird but interesting.

(first post)

_________________
"Computer unnecessary."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 317
Hi.

Quote:
He's so unpredictable

He is? You might want to make your (second post) here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:20 pm
Posts: 789
Location: United States
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
He is? You might want to make your (second post) here.


Ahh, thanks for that. A better way of putting it would indeed be that he's "impossible to understand." He has a robotic kind of personality, and yet I can't tell what his next move is going to be. I find that interesting.

_________________
"Computer unnecessary."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:41 pm 
Offline
Vigilante
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 76
New Frontiersman wrote:
Rorschach. I love his dry sense of humor, his completely black and white view of the world, and he gets some of the best lines in the book.


"Hello, Rorschach. How are you today?"
"In prison. Yourself?"

Amen. Dry humour is fantastic, especially when employed by a very bitter, hate-filled character. I chose Rorschach because he is the most complex, and, an absolute dream to analyse psychosexually. No pun intended there! Also, I love intense characters, people who have an interest in subjects like literature and philosophy, people who have minds capable of being blunt and yet profound at the same time


....and, well, I have always had an odd fetish for red hair.

_________________
In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes!
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:20 pm
Posts: 789
Location: United States
After my second reading, I think my new character character is Nite Owl (Dan). I like his arc. Through the whole book you know he aches to return to adventuring, but just can't bring himself to do it until the end. Love his immediate resolve after he has that dream.

_________________
"Computer unnecessary."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:02 pm
Posts: 45
The Comedian/Edward Blake for all the reasons previously given and also he sort of reminds me Sir Brian Bois-Guilbert in Ivanhoe, and George Clooney's character Bob Barnes in 'Syriana'.....the loyal government operative who has seen, participated in, and covertly influenced so much, and for so many years, on behalf of his government....the government that changed it's policies with every new president....that in it's self has to be a royal mindf**k....and to some extent he does exhibit the typical qualities of the warrior/mercenary/hero in his own mind attitudes...he is a very complex, enigmatic and compelling character who walked the fine line between criminal and crime-fighter (but weren't most of the Watchmen guilty of this...dirty deeds sanctioned by...somebody....The ends justify the means so to speak, and keep quiet about the bad stuff?) I was intrigued by The Comedian from my very first read....and I still don't have him figured out. But I also have a strange admiration for the very twisted & cunningly demented Richard III.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:35 am 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:36 am
Posts: 783
Location: your refrigerator
Rorschach! Duh! ^_^ He's the most interesting character!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:07 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 am
Posts: 775
Location: Brandon, FL
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Vynson wrote:
Dr. Malcolm Long. I love this guy. I love his intelligence and his humanity. I love that he's in love with his wife and trying to understand her point of view while trying to hold on to his own and help her understand him. I love how important his marriage is to him and how important it is to him to contribute to the world... even in the face of armegeddon.

A great character.

Personally, I prefer Malcolm and Gloria at the end. Embracing each other, dead. They were bickering through the entire graphic novel, but in the face of World's End, they forgive each other.


Yeah, same here, but I especially like it when Bernard (news guy) holds Bernard because they know they're going to die and they can't do anything about it.

_________________
"It would be a stronger world, a stronger loving world, to die in."

-John Cale


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:03 am 
Offline
Minuteman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Mars
This changes for me with every reading, but right now it's Adrian. I don't like the guy, but he's an incredible character; the detached, egomaniacal self made god-king dealing out death and judgment under no authority but his own. Just what a "Superhero" is.

_________________
"Here's one about flouride turning people into homos..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:36 am
Posts: 783
Location: your refrigerator
Dr. Malc, you might as well say you like all characters. :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:03 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:13 am
Posts: 163
for me, strangely enough it´s a tie between rorschach and dan. strange, because they are polar opposites. dan is everything that rorschach isn´t - compassionate, understanding, moderate, balanced, able to love. rorschach is completely borderline, a sociopath who nevertheless fights evil. those two have a great dynamic and i would love to read more stories about the time they were partners. could make for some great adventures.
eventually i chose rorschach, because ass-kicking is just cool. and i love his outfit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 am 
Offline
So impotent.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Arkham Asylum
Rorschach, definitely! He was always the character I found to be the most intriguing. And the 'do it!' scene is one of my favorite parts of Watchmen. And of course I like that dry humor bit, just as some others were saying earlier.

By the way, this is my first post here! I've read Watchmen two times now, and will get around to re-reading it yet again (once I get the time, ha) soon enough. The Watchmen trailer rebooted my interest, and that's when I found this forum by the way. Nice forum, too! Good, thoughtful conversations, as it should be. Anyway, so yep, I'm new here and...hello! Haha :D

_________________
--
"That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?" -Rorschach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:44 am 
Offline
Minuteman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 22
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Veidt is definitely my favorite character. He orchestrated everything so perfectly up until the very end and had some of my favorite lines in the novel. Also, the man caught a bullet and we share the same first name, that breaks a tie with Dr.Manhattan any day.

_________________
That night, I slept badly beneath cold, distant stars, pondering upon the cold, distant God in whose hands the fate of Davidstown rested. Was he really there? Had he been there once, but now departed?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:18 am
Posts: 291
Alexander Nevermind wrote:
Veidt.

But he was using that to save humanity. The ending of Watchmen blew me away, it was everything I hoped for. In fact it was exactly how I envisioned some sort of world peace (lasting or not). Veidt figured it out, and it was something I pondered too. If an alien invasion occured, would the world unite? According to Watchmen it seemed so, but it was still uncertain how long it will last. Then there's the ambiguity of Rorschach's journal.



I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before but that's the same story line Macross (Robotech) has for uniting the earth after a prolong global conflict.

MLG wrote:
I voted for Ozymandias.
why? not for sympathy votes.

Of the few people who voted, Ozymandias does not seem to be the most popular. Some might find him to be one of the least likable characters because of his ego, "wrongdoing", or what not. However, his character is quite dynamic, evolved, and not your typical stock character.

Adrian was a man of character, ideals, strong will, and of all the characters the most successful. Rorschach viewed him as a prostitute, telling him he "sold himself", when in reality Veidt was a true entrepreneur. He gave away a multi-million dollar inheritance in his early years only to regain it from scratch. Because of his immense intelligence, he was only working to better himself as not only a person but a contributer to society. Of all the characters, he was the true hero seeking peace, not involved in his own personal day to day problems. Because of his ideals, he worked on bringing peace to the world. As "wrong" and "unsympathetic" of his part to make the decision to "murder" half of New York, he was a utilitarian seeking the greater good. And the end justifies the mean because in theory, the death of the New Yorkers saved everyone else. Adrian was the only character who had a goal, stuck to it, and accomplished it. Which is something the other "watchmen" couldn't even begin to come close to.


I think what's highlighted is exactly what made him more like Rorschach than anyone else. They just went about it in different ways. Rorschach wouldn't have killed/hurt so many "innocents" in order to obtain the greater good - he only mangled/killed the "bad people." Other changed their morals/ideals over time, or simply just got rid of them all together.

The_Jackal wrote:
Rorschach is blatantly the best character, but Dreiberg was a very close second, don't ask me why. Rorschach's sheer bluntness and lack of any sort of morals on any level makes his character so much better when emotions come into play with him.


This was already explained by other posts but I disagreed too. Like I said in another post, morals can really be better described by virtue.
*Both Vedit and Rorschach were virtuous - they wanted to make the world a better place any way they could.
*Both of them understood the need to hurt/kill/mangle people in order for that to happen.
*Neither would compromise their set of "morals" once they realized what their roles in life were.
*Both took on another persona not as a name, but a life style. Vedit took on the figures of ancient worlds because of what they stood for. He not only called himself one but tried to be like them as much as possible. Walter Kovacs became Rorschach because he had to, Walter couldn't accomplish what Rorschach had to do.

But me personally, I voted for Rorschach. I associate the most with him because you need to have uncompromising "morals" when trying to do what he does. You also can't be your normal/usual self. As a person who trains in MMA, I know that at least for me, learning to hit another person and learning moves that can really hurt people isn't something you (should) step into lightly. You need to learn many things, to be honest. But Walter learned that he, even with his messed up childhood/life couldn't hurt/kill/mangle people up. Rorschach solved that problem. Also he keeps it simple, wears clothes you can get anywhere, except for his choice of mask. This is what I think a real vigilante (adventurer) would wear if they were doing this out in real life. He wasn't a super genius, didn't have a lot of money to get cool toys, no super human powers, no great looks - just average looking, unremarkable.

But what he has going for him is that he's a practical person. Has clothes that work for him, not against him. Can easily stash them anywhere and not worry about them being discovered/stolen/lost because of low inherent value of items (except mask). Can replace them easily/quickly. Has 1 piece of equipment (that we know of) that would actually work in the real word: a grappling hook.

Everyone else has great attributes too, but are unrealistic although not impossible. Look at Donald Trump and his multiple fortunes. But Rorschach could almost be the common person (although he's a lot dirtier and a little messed up in the head) on the street. And one last thing, I love how he was written and drawn, i guess "created" would a better term simply because his walking around town carrying his sign, no one looks at him twice and he can be seen anywhere around town without raising suspicion. Yep, Rorschach is who I like.

I am surprised though that so many people like him, i'd figure Jon, Dan or even Vedit would have beat him out. But go Rors!

_________________
ImageYou can never say never and never say always.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:15 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:13 am
Posts: 163
GhettoBSD wrote:
*Both Vedit and Rorschach were virtuous - they wanted to make the world a better place any way they could.


here i disagree. it´s interesting to compare veidt and rorschach, but i always understood that veidt was the one with a vision, a hope for humanity - rorschach has given up on it. he walks through the bottomless pit, and punishes evil, because "evil must be punished" - not to make the world a better place, not because he believes in human goodness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:18 am
Posts: 291
Nellodee wrote:
here i disagree. it´s interesting to compare veidt and rorschach, but i always understood that veidt was the one with a vision, a hope for humanity - rorschach has given up on it. he walks through the bottomless pit, and punishes evil, because "evil must be punished" - not to make the world a better place, not because he believes in human goodness.


I think they both still wish to accomplish the same thing in the end, but they go about it differently. One kills only those who are "guilty" of whatever, the other kills half of NYC (innocents) to try to stop "Armageddon."

Rors might have given up on people, but only Vedit kills innocents.

_________________
ImageYou can never say never and never say always.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.118s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]