WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Who is your favorite Watchmen character?
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs) 49%  49%  [ 109 ]
Dr. Manhattan (Jon Osterman) 11%  11%  [ 25 ]
Nite-Owl (Dan Dreiberg) 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
The Silk Spectre (Laurie Juspeczyk) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Ozymandias (Adrian Vedit) 7%  7%  [ 16 ]
The Comedian (Edward Blake) 15%  15%  [ 34 ]
Sally Jupiter 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Hollis Mason 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Dr. Malcolm Long 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 223
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm 
A brother to dragons.

GhettoBSD wrote:
Nellodee wrote:
here i disagree. it´s interesting to compare veidt and rorschach, but i always understood that veidt was the one with a vision, a hope for humanity - rorschach has given up on it. he walks through the bottomless pit, and punishes evil, because "evil must be punished" - not to make the world a better place, not because he believes in human goodness.

I think they both still wish to accomplish the same thing in the end, but they go about it differently. One kills only those who are "guilty" of whatever, the other kills half of NYC (innocents) to try to stop "Armageddon."

Rors might have given up on people, but only Vedit kills innocents.

But Rorschach doesn't accomplish anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:19 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The Veidt Method wrote:
But Rorschach doesn't accomplish anything.

He finds out who killed Blake (amongst others) and threw a spanner in the workings of Veidts plan with his Journal. True, it might come to nothing, and between Veidt and Rorschach they both wanted a kind of Utopia - getting rid of scum, stopping war. I saw Veidt as logical and unconcerned with the individual to achieve his goal, and Rorschach more focused on the individual but working on a smaller scale to achieve a better world. They were both willing to kill to achieve their goals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:39 pm 
Crimebuster

I would have to say that Dan is my favorite character, because he really expresses to the fullest extent what the background theme of this novel is. He is a hero going through a mid-life crisis just like any other guy would. He represents the real side of super heroes.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:40 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I too believe Rors accomplished something, and possibly one thing that Vedit didn't... In the end Rors knew himself, and he knew what he was doing was right. Vedit had self doubt, and with what DM told him, it couldn't have helped his confidence that he took the right course of action.

I want to say it's like a coming of age where rors met it and passed with flying colors, while vedit got stuck. dunno, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
A brother to dragons.

GhettoBSD wrote:
I too believe Rors accomplished something, and possibly one thing that Vedit didn't... In the end Rors knew himself, and he knew what he was doing was right. Vedit had self doubt, and with what DM told him, it couldn't have helped his confidence that he took the right course of action.

I want to say it's like a coming of age where rors met it and passed with flying colors, while vedit got stuck. dunno, what do you guys think?

Well, Rorschach thought he was doing right. Then again, you can even twist that by saying that he knew he had to die for Veidt's plan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:49 pm 
Vigilante

My sig and avi says it all. I love Rorschach, not really because of his politics, but because of his philosophy, the "no compromise" philosophy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

After my 3rd reading, I think Dan has become my favorite character. I think there's a part of him that regrets complying with the Keene Act, but he tries to make himself believe what Laruie says: "The Keene act was the best thing that ever happened to us." He tells himself that, but deep down, he doesn't really believe it. It's the threat of nuclear war and the realization that there might be no tomorrow that brings him back to adventuring. Being a hero again lifts him back up and gives him a sense of purpose. It's a really great character arc.

And he has a cool costume.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:29 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

The Veidt Method wrote:
[
Well, Rorschach thought he was doing right. Then again, you can even twist that by saying that he knew he had to die for Veidt's plan.

Well, if that was true he would have never sent his journal in. But he didn't know the truth then. Hmm i don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:08 pm 
Crimebuster

moonwalkerwiz wrote:
My sig and avi says it all. I love Rorschach, not really because of his politics, but because of his philosophy, the "no compromise" philosophy.

I've never understood why so many people identify with that. Is compromise really such a terrible thing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Chiffon Phantom wrote:
moonwalkerwiz wrote:

I've never understood why so many people identify with that. Is compromise really such a terrible thing?

Same. Rorschach is really a sort of revolting neo-con.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:42 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Kovacs/ Rorschach. Because in the end, when he found out what was really going on. he was the only one that did not conform to the others and stood by his own beliefs. All the other characters go along with it. he was the only one with any balls in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:33 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

You know, compromise is a great thing to have as a virtue, necessary to live and socialize with others (as is evident with Rars). But very few people stand up for their own beliefs now a days, that Rors is refreshing to US.

I wrote a whole thing but ended up going off on a tangent hahaha. But basically, no one can stand up for what they believe anymore, they have to compromise. I used an example of older movies using VERY racist terminology. They don't use that anymore - a wise compromise. I'm guessing it was racist terminology Vs. more audience members.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:56 pm 
Crimebuster

Nite-Owl II is my favorite character, by far. The first time I read Watchmen I didn't like him at all, or the entire book for that matter, but upon my second reading he grew on me and now he the character I like the most.

He's already in me.
I wanna be adored,
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
"I Wanna Be Adored"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:00 pm 
Vigilante

I agree that Rorschach is really a refreshing character. I feel like the global world is really heading toward democracy. It's just a necessary consequence of modern technology. People from different worlds interact with each other, mixing their beliefs, their cultures, etc. But in that process, they tend to compromise more and more, so you got people losing their "identities." There's nothing wrong with that, really. Some would even say the world is more moral now than ever, or that people today understand each other better. But Rorschach just brings this great nostalgic feeling of believing in something no matter what the world says about you. It's like he's standing alone amidst people who's ready to compromise and move on. I think it shows fortitude, will, and just inner strength. So yeah, I think he's cool.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:28 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Chiffon Phantom wrote:
moonwalkerwiz wrote:

To be honest, I see Rorschach as an example of how many things can go wrong when someone in power refuses to compromise. No, I admire Rorschach more for his tenacity, intellect and resourcefulness.

Dreiberg is still my favorite, though. You can't help but empathize with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Dan is deffinatly my favorite. He's just such a cool guy, i dont see how you couldnt love him ;) and i think his role is very important, of the main bunch, he is the most normal and reaonable, he is supposed to be sympathised with and you are supposed to be able to relate to him i think. but then you see that he still wants to dress up and 'play cowboys and indians' (i guess the comedian will say that to him in the movie?). so for me, he was the character that really defined the story for me, he shows just how silly superheroes are by being completely normal otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:45 pm 
So impotent.

It's a tough choice but I'm going to go with Dr Manhattan. All that power, how he views the world and humanity, the struggle to continue to relate to people and his detachment, I find him very interesting.

I still like Rorschach, The Comedian and Nite-Owl a whole lot too, all very intriguing in there own way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:22 am 
I DID IT!

Weighing in here:

For me it was a tie between Dan and Rorschach.

I started out at the beginning of the book REALLY not liking Rorschach, but he grew on me. I mean, the guy disagrees with my politics and my morals in most ways, so I had the initial visceral reaction of "holy crap this guy is a superior breed of jerk." But as the book built on him, I saw these little scraps of humanity that were left in him, and all the things I disliked about him in the beginning kind of became less important. It's the weird little acts of arbitrary decency on his part and this kind of wistful almost-poetry in a few of his journal entries, combined with the knowledge of how fundamentally broken he is, that endear him to me. The man's a walking tragedy, really. I was totally playing my violins for him (read: crying) by the end.

Also, I have to admit to loving his dry sense of humor.

Now Dan is a more likable person in the regular sense, he's a lovable pervo who can't get it up out of costume. But I think what inched him above Laurie (who I also really liked) was that he was the only person who was actually nice to Rorschach instead of just putting up with him. The fact that he only lost his temper with the guy once is testament to just how NICE Dan is.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 am 
Alien Squid Monster

My favourite character is Ozymandias. His intellect, persona and views on humanity and morals make him an immensely interesting character to me.

- OZYMANDIAS - interview in NOVA/EXPRESS
Aug. 1977

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rorschach and Nite Owl II.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next