WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Who is your favorite Watchmen character?
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs) 49%  49%  [ 109 ]
Dr. Manhattan (Jon Osterman) 11%  11%  [ 25 ]
Nite-Owl (Dan Dreiberg) 11%  11%  [ 24 ]
The Silk Spectre (Laurie Juspeczyk) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Ozymandias (Adrian Vedit) 7%  7%  [ 16 ]
The Comedian (Edward Blake) 15%  15%  [ 34 ]
Sally Jupiter 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Hollis Mason 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Dr. Malcolm Long 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 223
 Post subject: Re: Favorite character?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:31 pm 
I DID IT!

I think it's interesting that anyone would pick Ozymandias as a favorite. He's a fascinating character, but I can't really say I especially liked him, even before the end of the book when we realize how much downright evil he's responsible for.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:04 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Circusdog wrote:
I think it's interesting that anyone would pick Ozymandias as a favorite. He's a fascinating character, but I can't really say I especially liked him, even before the end of the book when we realize how much downright evil he's responsible for.

Well I voted for Ozymandias, and I'm drawn to his character from the very first scene he appears. He's the most successful among all the retired superheroes, having amassing massive wealth all by himself, and the only ex-masked adventurer who is well-loved by the people. He's the only one who seems respectable and lacks any obvious personality disorders (at least in the beginning of the GN), unlike Rorschach who is a psychopath, Dr Manhattan who is completely apathetic, and Nite Owl who is so... impotent, I guess.

The ending only makes me admire him even more, Ozymandias being the only one who truly strive to save the world. The others just do it to serve their own needs/interests/obsessions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Nostalgia wrote:

The ending only makes me admire him even more, Ozymandias being the only one who truly strive to save the world. The others just do it to serve their own needs/interests/obsessions.

Yeah, but don't you think (referencing all the debates we've had on this topic) that Ozzy was serving his own needs/interests/obsessions when he pulled his coup de grace on new york?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:44 pm 
I DID IT!

Nostalgia wrote:
Circusdog wrote:

Well I voted for Ozymandias, and I'm drawn to his character from the very first scene he appears. He's the most successful among all the retired superheroes, having amassing massive wealth all by himself, and the only ex-masked adventurer who is well-loved by the people. He's the only one who seems respectable and lacks any obvious personality disorders (at least in the beginning of the GN), unlike Rorschach who is a psychopath, Dr Manhattan who is completely apathetic, and Nite Owl who is so... impotent, I guess.

The thing about Watchmen was that it made it very, very easy to forgive people who did very bad things (for example, I couldn't make myself hate the Comedian even though he's a pretty dreadful person). Just about everyone started out as a jerk and redeemed themselves on some level later--but Ozymandias started out looking good (too good and clearly arrogant about it, and I think that was the initial turn-off for me) and wound up firmly and unrepentantly in a pretty dark moral gray area.

You can't kill three million innocent people and inflict terrible suffering on millions of others without putting a bad taste in the audience's mouth. Veidt decided that he had a right to choose who lived and who died, in the interest of saving the planet. He effectively placed himself as humanity's god, above governments and any legal authority or accountability, and he used that self-imposed authority to destroy life (in the name of saving life, of course, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions). He's a bit like Jon in that individual human lives don't seem to mean that much to him.

I can admire Veidt's genius, but what he wound up doing was so horrifying that his overall lack of remorse inspired a visceral disgust reaction in me. He makes Rorschach look like a boy scout by comparison.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Rorschach by a mile. I like his ideas and his way of handling things.

Dan comes second. It's a regular guy looking to find his way in the world. You just can't help to like him.

"Do it for meat."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:19 pm 
So impotent.

Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:20 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Circusdog wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:
Circusdog wrote:

The thing about Watchmen was that it made it very, very easy to forgive people who did very bad things (for example, I couldn't make myself hate the Comedian even though he's a pretty dreadful person). Just about everyone started out as a jerk and redeemed themselves on some level later--but Ozymandias started out looking good (too good and clearly arrogant about it, and I think that was the initial turn-off for me) and wound up firmly and unrepentantly in a pretty dark moral gray area.

You can't kill three million innocent people and inflict terrible suffering on millions of others without putting a bad taste in the audience's mouth. Veidt decided that he had a right to choose who lived and who died, in the interest of saving the planet. He effectively placed himself as humanity's god, above governments and any legal authority or accountability, and he used that self-imposed authority to destroy life (in the name of saving life, of course, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions). He's a bit like Jon in that individual human lives don't seem to mean that much to him.

I can admire Veidt's genius, but what he wound up doing was so horrifying that his overall lack of remorse inspired a visceral disgust reaction in me. He makes Rorschach look like a boy scout by comparison.

Haha we're clearly going off topic now if we continue to debate on this thread. There's already a LONG thread on Adrian Veidt, and you can find it here:
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=419&hilit=Adrian+Veidt

Have fun with the 25+ pages of reading! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Doesn't anyone else like Laurie? :)

Actually, I have to say I like Laurie, Dan, and Rorschach equally for their own reasons. There was recently a discussion of favorite characters over on 4chan's /co/ board, and a few of the posters said they actually felt she was a weak character, or even just "fan service." Few seemed to realize that one of Moore's points with her was to address the objectification of women in comics (and I read somewhere that he'd actually had trouble with her character before he decided to take that angle) and that she is also given the task of interceding on behalf of mankind. (She is the ex-girlfriend of the godlike figure she's interceding to, but still.) Yeah she can waver a little bit sometimes - but again, that's part of what makes these characters seem realistic.

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:47 pm 
I DID IT!

numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Doesn't anyone else like Laurie? :)

Actually, I have to say I like Laurie, Dan, and Rorschach equally for their own reasons. There was recently a discussion of favorite characters over on 4chan's /co/ board, and a few of the posters said they actually felt she was a weak character, or even just "fan service." Few seemed to realize that one of Moore's points with her was to address the objectification of women in comics (and I read somewhere that he'd actually had trouble with her character before he decided to take that angle) and that she is also given the task of interceding on behalf of mankind. (She is the ex-girlfriend of the godlike figure she's interceding to, but still.) Yeah she can waver a little bit sometimes - but again, that's part of what makes these characters seem realistic.

I like Laurie! Laurie's tough as fucking nails, man. And she's really the closest one among the masked adventurers to being a regular person without too many personality disorders (though she's got her share).

P.S. HI THERE (from /co/ and also the uh other place for people from /co/)

--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:04 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Circusdog wrote:

I like Laurie! Laurie's tough as fucking nails, man. And she's really the closest one among the masked adventurers to being a regular person without too many personality disorders (though she's got her share).

P.S. HI THERE (from /co/ and also the uh other place for people from /co/)

Hi there! I post over in the other place as The Artist Formerly Known as Edward Cullen. Nice to see other folks here. :D

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:36 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Malcolm Long. He's like the anti-Rorschach. He saw a horrible world and could've turned into a psychopath like Rorschach, but instead he opted for helping people instead of punishing them.

My second choice would be Ozymandias in that he is essentially Malcolm Long but on a larger scale; the only thing detracting from me liking from him is his callousness and complete corporate greed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:22 am 
Vigilante

Sorry for the bump. But definitely the Comedian. His amorality (as Jon described it) just makes for a really compelling character. The way he pervades so many people's lives (in a kinda mean spirited Forest Gump kinda way) is really interesting. He gets all the best lines in the book in my opinion too. Plus I love the way he was handled by Moore only being explored through flash backs due to his death at the start.

Also this:

Two coolest panels ever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:07 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Ozymandias without a doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:19 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

The Prince II wrote:
Sorry for the bump. But definitely the Comedian. His amorality (as Jon described it) just makes for a really compelling character. The way he pervades so many people's lives (in a kinda mean spirited Forest Gump kinda way) is really interesting. He gets all the best lines in the book in my opinion too. Plus I love the way he was handled by Moore only being explored through flash backs due to his death at the start.

Also this:

Two coolest panels ever.

That 2nd panel there is my favorite panel in the whole book.

And yeah, I voted in this a long while ago. Comedian is easily my favorite character now, not Rorschach.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Hard question, because I love each and every one of the characters. The first time I read Watchmen, Rorschach was my clear favorite. Veidt has slowly grown on me, and he is now my favorite.

In order:
Ozymandias
Rorschach
Nite-Owl II
Comedian
Silk Spectre II
Dr. Manhattan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:28 pm 
Vigilante

Does anyone else here think Sally is pretty underrated?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:35 pm 
Tired of Earth.

The Prince II wrote:
Does anyone else here think Sally is pretty underrated?

Oh, I absolutely agree. The problem is that we have virtually no idea what she was like in her crimefighting heyday. We know more about NO I than we do about SS I, and that's saying something.

Still, in her sunset years and out of the costume, she's every bit as strong a character as any of the mains.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:35 pm 
So impotent.

Has to be The Comedian for the simple reason that if "super-heroes " existed in the real world this is how they would be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 am 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

For me it's a tie between Dan/Nite Owl II and Dr. Manhattan.
I always love listening to Manhattan's monologues... and seeing a perspective on humanity from someone so detached. I also love Dan's character... he seems the most "ordinary" out of the bunch to me. That attempted sex scene in front of the TV is one of my favorites.

However... I will cave a bit and admit that I adore Rorschach... his "green glass bottles" monologue and "it's us, only us" monologue are two of the most beautiful pieces of writing in the book.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:24 am 
Nothing ever ends.

My favorite character is Rorschach. His psychology is fascinating. And he's badass. You ambush someone out of their fridge or drop and annoying man down an elevator shaft, and you are automatically a grade-A badass. :mrgreen:

My favorite person is Dan.

Important distinction there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next