WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
Every time I read HJ's blow-off of the Minutemen photo session:

"Frankly, Sally, I don't go in for all this razzle dazzle. I'd rather be on the streets, doing my job."

It makes me almost want to roll my eyes. I've always wondered where costumed adventurers or super-heroes get the idea that doing all the stuff they do is "their job." No one appointed them (save for the case of the Doc), they aren't being paid, and a good number of people have negative opinions of them. Does calling it their "job" make them feel better about running around on rooftops, beating people up and taking the law into their own hands? Does it make them feel more normal? I would imagine that someone who is a costumed adventurer by night wouldn't have much to talk to "regular" folks about, so perhaps it's a way to humanize the profession in their minds. Any thoughts/ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 am 
Tired of Earth.

I find your definition of the word "job" to be very narrow. There's a ton of volunteer work out there, so jobs don't necessarily require payment. A job might not need an employer, either: Just ask anyone who's self-employed.

Heck, I think that being a superhero falls under both categories. They're self-employed to an extreme degree and in volunteer work to an extreme degree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:57 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
I was just using being paid as something to throw out there. Self employed volunteer work. I like it, that's an interesting definition! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:46 am 
Alien Squid Monster

You know, sometimes I'll tell one of my kids, "that's my job" (in reference to helping them, say, straighten out a mess they've made or come up with a solution to a problem they're having or whatever). It is my job -- being their mom -- even though nobody appointed me to it, I'm not gettin paid, and, well, there are always people who have negative opinions of one's parenting :roll: .

Some of the vigilantes (like Hollis) see it as a calling, just the same way that some people feel called to be ministers, doctors, firefighters, whatever. That's all I think HJ was saying -- it's his job to do this; to go out and help people. It's his true calling in life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:33 am 
Alien Squid Monster

However, if a guy in tights walked up to me and threatened to beat me up, telling me it was his "job," I think I might roll my eyes too. And if, to draw a near historical parallel, a guy with a white pillowcase on his head started burning crosses on my lawn under the pretense that it was his job, I might accuse him of using the diction as a transparent excuse to indulge in his personal passions - sadism and racism. So yes, when Hooded Justice - ominous name - starts speaking about his "job" clobbering bad guys and objecting to the "razzle dazzle" of organized gangs of vigilantes, I tend to think that the "self-employed volunteer" description is a little forgiving. And if one were to link vigilantism to parenting, I'd say the logic were completely spurious, since Hooded Justice didn't father the so-called criminals he likes to beat into pulp. "Yes, criminal scum, I believe in spanking. I call it tough love."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:30 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Maybe because of the way the public generally reacted to the Minutemen (the newspaper articles, the interviews, all that jazz) plus the flattery of the "razzle-dazzle", HJ was deluded into thinking that it really was his job? Maybe he'd convinced himself that the people really did want them to protect the city.

You play with my world
Like it's your little toy - Bob Dylan