WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:41 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

A while ago i was remembering when i read "Civil War" about the part where Captain America is being brought to trial, when he is murdered, and when the american citizens mourn his passing.

I felt that all of that was a very long ordeal for a character i really couldn't care about, after a while and some thought i came to the conclussion that those scenes did not have any emotional impact on me because maybe they were meant for the fans of Captain America.

But later, while reading Watchmen, i saw how The Comedian was the poster boy for the US, the representation of the soldier, the hero, the patriot, etc.

In the Marvel universe this is the same case for Captain America, the latter is also the poster boy for a nation, he also represents the soldier, the hero and the patriot. But it was only when i made that comparison with the comedian that it hit me.

What bothered me about "Civil War" was how naive it all seemed, the people mourned a hero that received nothing but honest propaganda, a pure, and brave soldier with absolutely no dirt and no fault to be pinned on him.

That certainly is what bothered me the first time i read those scenes on "Civil War", it was too unreal, too fantasic. Contrary to the case of The Comedian, the latter died and was mourned in a very similarly way to Cap, but unlike Cap, The Comedian was not really a hero, he was a product, a creation that was exploited by the government in order to become a sympathetic institution to it's citizens.

Does anyone feel the same way ? did anyone felt that Watchmen was "more real" because of how The Comedian was represented by the government ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:35 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Fuckin' A man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm 
Tired of Earth.

you could say they are the same. both are products of the government, made to go fight for the country. makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

To my mind, the primary difference is that Captain America represents America's best traits, while The Comedian represents America's worst.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
To my mind, the primary difference is that Captain America represents America's best traits, while The Comedian represents America's worst.
Agreed.

Although, the Cap'n has his "moments"...

(His first issue.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:52 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Who would've thought that "Captain America's Young Ally" would eventually become Captain America.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:20 pm 
Vigilante

I always thought that The Comedian was the darkside of Captian America, if The Cap had a dark side.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:13 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

The more that I think about it the more right you seem. The way his funeral takes place and the fact that the character's who attend reminisce of his "glory days" in 'nam or fighting on US soil. However, the memories are negative ones. The thing about the Cap is the the man and the image are one and the same, whereas the image of the comedian, is totally different to the comedian himself. fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 pm 
Crimebuster

TheDude311 wrote:
I always thought that The Comedian was the darkside of Captian America, if The Cap had a dark side.

My sentiments exactly