WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Watchmen Issue 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 pm 
Crimebuster

Today while at Hasting's, they had a bunch of vintage comic books. Captain America, Batman, Superman, etc, all for 99 cents.

While wading through the endless abyss of comics, I spot Issue 2 of our beloved Watchmen, in perfect condition. A vintage copy.

Surely this is a mistake, I think to myself. There's no way this...THIS...could be here for 99 cents. That's just impossible. It's even been bagged! Surely there's some mistake.

I grab it and take it to the cashier, and sure enough, it rings up at $1.07. Holy crap!!! I think to myself. I'm not letting these people know this is worth way more than that.

On my way home, though, my inner greed starts to build up. Do I want to keep this for myself, or try to sell it for more? Checking eBay, this issue goes for almost $20. That's 20 times what I paid for it.

I'm just stuck right now between my inner nerd and my inner greed. I was at Wizard Con last year, and couldn't afford any of these (already spent my money on a Mooby's tshirt and an autograph/picture with Danny Trejo). And here it is!! For a dollar!!

What would you do in my position? Keep the comic, or sell it?

Post subject: Re: Watchmen Issue 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Twenty dollars is chump change compared to this. Unless you're living from paycheck to paycheck and desperately need the money to buy food and/or electricity then I suggest you keep it.

That's what I would do anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am 
Tired of Earth.

keep.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:56 am 
Minuteman

Godziller66 wrote:
Unless you're living from paycheck to paycheck and desperately need the money to buy food and/or electricity then I suggest you keep it.

^this

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 pm 
Crimebuster

I collected baseball cards for eight years as a kid. The book value of my collection was about $70,000 from five years ago. I went to some card dealers to see what they would buy them for. The most I was offered was about $5000, or $2000 for my Stars, HOF's, and Rarities, which would render my commons and doubles as worthless as a collection. One dealer was cool and said keep them, don't sell it.

The point is, that the cards have a inherent value more than what you can sell them for. The Book or Ebay price only matters if you can find someone to buy them at that price. Ebay has lots of baseball card offers that don't sell. My Baseball card collection was also part of my youth. I'd rather give them to my grandkids (when/if they ever might arrive), then sell it for cash that I don't need.

You're either a Dealer or a Collector. If you went to estate sale, and they had a Picasso drawing worth $5000 and you bought it for $500, you could sell it and make $4500 profit... But then again, how many people can claim that they own a Picasso?

Feel free to sell Watchman #2 and make $19 profit after it sits on Ebay for 3 months. Then you can buy two 3 topping pizzas with that money in celebration... (Yes, I am being sarcastic, forgive me).

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

If you want to sell it I would seriously pay you the $20 for it, as I assumed that they would go for way more than that. But if it was me I would no question be keeping it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:28 pm 
Crimebuster

tbone wrote:
If you want to sell it I would seriously pay you the $20 for it, as I assumed that they would go for way more than that. But if it was me I would no question be keeping it.

Thanks, but I think that I'm going to listen to my heart (and everyone else here) and hold on to it. It's something I've wanted to have a for a while.

I just wish that Hasting's would get more issues in. If I could get all of them for roughly 12 dollars, that would just be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:03 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Keep it.

I have all 12 issues and I don't ever plan on selling them.