WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:26 pm 
Crimebuster

What amakes Watchmen so endearing not only as a comicbook but as a renowned piece of work in general? What makes a particular comicbook like this worthy of being dissected endlessly out of all the other works created in comicbook history?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:03 am 
Tired of Earth.

Can you be any more specific, GAP?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:55 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

GAP wrote:
What amakes Watchmen so endearing not only as a comicbook but as a renowned piece of work in general? What makes a particular comicbook like this worthy of being dissected endlessly out of all the other works created in comicbook history?

(See entire forum)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:23 pm 
Crimebuster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

I would like to know what makes Watchmen so special that it completely changed the genre and comics in general.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:24 pm 

GAP wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

I would like to know what makes Watchmen so special that it completely changed the genre and comics in general.

(See entire forum)

Well, it has extremely odd characters for the time. Superheroes who aren't heroes or even super in most cases.

I guess it's filled with detail and it's themes are resonant. The characters are extremely interesting and complex. It goes against the accepted conventions.

uhhh see entire forum for details?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:18 pm 
Vigilante

well what makes it endearing to me is the complexing of it, no easy answers, no so-called happy ending, its messy like life, no black and white absolutes.

and the ideas of it, what makes a person put on a costume and beat "bad" people up?, is it worth it to clean up and make neigborhood safe while the whole wide could be blown to bloody hell? and half a million other questions that this comic asks. thats why it endures

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:24 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

It creates an absorbing and complete alternate reality, and although the ending is pretty conclusive, the story does not feel in any way linear or limited because there is the whole history of the alternative reality, the rewriting of historical events, and then there is life in the world after the end. The end poses just as many questions as it answers, the story could continue (but it shouldn't) and it is endearing because you re-read it to get absorbed, hoping to learn more about the alternative reality in which the books are set. The quality of Watchmen that makes it so endearing is that it is obviously finite, but can seen to be infinite in so many ways. It clearly has a past, a present and a future. You get the feeling that the events of Watchmen, although seeming to be big, are actually small within the universe itself. (clearly it had a major impact on the universe, but there is so much more going on in it).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm 

tbone wrote:
It creates an absorbing and complete alternate reality

tbone wrote:
it is endearing because you re-read it to get absorbed

It's like a sponge!

Seriously, it looks like one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

GAP wrote:

because it is written by a writer who is reknowned for writing complex comics, and drawn by an artist reknowned for complex, detailed art.

GAP wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

i would say the fact that it is highly respected, and therefore people in the comics industry are likely to heave read it, and therefore been influenced by it in some way. everything anyone does or sees or reads will influence them in some way or another, to some degree.
i think the fact that on first glace it appears almost mainstream, with the kind of art that you expect from a comic book, (admittedly a very well drawn comic book, but not like v for vendetta for example) and standard looking superheroes, it's not until you read it that you realise that it is not your standard comic book. and i think this is what AM and DG aimed for when making the series, something that a standard comic buyer will pick up expecting standard comic book fare, but getting something much more complex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
Watchmen is a satire of the modern day superhero. A dissection, if you will, of what a world with these type of people might be like. It's not just a comic book, but more of a introspective look into the human psyche. The book continues to be discussed because its undertones remain relevant to current times, as well as being a plain old good read. Anyone who does not know a lick of comic book lore can pick up and read Watchmen, and seasoned comic book veterans love it, too. It really is something for everyone, something that anyone can find something they like in. The story challenges our perception of right and wrong, what it means to be human, and the dark VS. light side of human nature.

Watchmen is one of the few all encompassing genre bending stories out there. It was, is, and will continue to be revolutionary for these reasons, and will still be one of the top 3 works by which many things to come will be judged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Blue. Penis.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Because it's a damn good story. One that throws so many curve balls at you from so many directions. You have the murder mystery, but then suddenly you have the pre-apocalyptic intrigue, you have a love triangle, etc. It helps that all the characters are fascinatingly complex, you just want to know more about them and given that its a murder mystery, you aren't completely sure about them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:07 pm 
Tired of Earth.

TheMovieDude wrote:
Because it's a damn good story. One that throws so many curve balls at you from so many directions. You have the murder mystery, but then suddenly you have the pre-apocalyptic intrigue, you have a love triangle, etc. It helps that all the characters are fascinatingly complex, you just want to know more about them and given that its a murder mystery, you aren't completely sure about them.

and blue penis