WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:56 am 
Crimebuster

When I first posted on this Forum, I expressed how I had decided to try and figure the Watchmen GN out. Well basically I already believed that I had (at least a big chunk of it), and I hope that creating this thread exposes a big part of it. I had researched different essays, and have read lots of posts on this Forum, and other Forums to see if anybody else had noticed what I believe Veidt’s error was in his Plan, but I haven’t found any other references to my conclusions. There are many tangents to how I had discovered this, but I don’t want to get too crazy because it offshoots into multiple theories. What’s funny about it is that is actually there in the text and pictures, but Moore and Gibbons used techniques to obscure its obviousness. What’s also funny is that I believe that Alan and Dave actually tell you how to discover it, by telling the reader how to read the GN, and I also believe that was intentional.

As with the Marooned Sailor’s story, and how the error in his “Flawless” plan made his world “Lost Beyond Recall”, if Veidt’s plan parallels the story, what was his error? In (CH.XI.1.1-7), Veidt gives his observations about how William Burroughs’ (Real life author of the novel “Nova Express”) cut-up technique, and how multi-viewing can give subliminal “Hints of the Future”, but they must be “Grasped Quickly”. He is basically stating how the Watchmen GN itself is written with its overlapping narratives and dialogue, but also being a GN, panels and pages can be examined individually back and forth to look for those subliminal hints that might have been missed.

Now with Veidt’s interest in Futurology, (from his interview with Nova Express in the supplement of Ch.XI), Futurology depends on like he also says (Ch.XI.1.6) where the “Conceivable can be made Concrete”, or in other words, what is possible can become reality. When Einstein discovered E=MC2, the conversion of matter into energy theoretically became a possibility providing a fantastic energy source, but the need to make it a reality was hastened by WWII, because it could also become a horrific bomb that the Allies needed to make before the Axis powers could. Futurology could have predicted that Atomic Fusion could be done, and eventually it became reality.

The reason I explained all that is because you have to use Futurology to discover the error in Veidt’s plan. I believe that the possibility of Rorschach’s Journal being published by Seymour is actually a Red Herring. It is put there to ponder “What if” it getting published is Veidt’s miscalculation or error, but Futurology is not a “What if”. If either Seymour does or doesn’t publish it, or what may happen or not after it is published, there is no way to predict that future because we don’t know what he actually does. Anyway, before explaining my conclusions, here are a few of the pertinent panels that I feel explain the flaw in his plan, in case someone might see it themselves. I will explain it right afterwards, but here they are...

(Ch.XI.24.2-3), (Ch.XI.25.1), (Ch.XI.26.3-4), (Ch.XII.8.1), (Ch.XII.27.6)

From the panels above (plus some other indicators) I believe that Veidt’s error in his plan for Utopia is this. When Dr. Manhattan showed that Teleportation was possible, Veidt’s researchers tried to re-create it, but it had a limitation. The limitation is that an object that teleports into an occupied space, explodes. That is a definitive limitation unless you want the object to actually "explode upon arrival”. That is the breakthrough, as also illustrated by the Comedian (Breaking through the Glass) as Veidt says it (Ch.XI.26.4). Just like when the U.S. hastened to use the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima to save lives, Veidt hastened to teleport the Squid to save the World, but in doing so, he EXPOSED Teleportation to the World. Using Futurology, now the World is united to fend off the Alien Invasion, and to find out how the Squid got there, some nation, or researchers, or even scientists maybe hired by a Billionaire Republic Serial Villain are bound to learn about Teleportation, and eventually be able to duplicate it because it can be re-created.

The thing is, to make an Atomic Bomb, you need fissionable material (uranium, etc), a way to detonate it (warhead, etc), and a delivery system such as a missile within range of target, but now that is obsolete. With Teleportation, any OBJECT is a potential Bomb; it has Unlimited Range; and an Instantaneous Delivery System that isn’t traceable to its origin. If you want to assassinate someone, just teleport a rock inside his head, and have it explode; to take down a Sky Scraper, teleport a 100 ton object into its foundations, and have it explode; how about a Mountaintop into the heart of a City; instantaneous and untraceable. Who needs a Squid? As Laurie says in (Ch.XII.8.1) “How can anyone protect themselves in a World where this happens?” Indeed, where could anyone hide or escape to?

There is also the duality of the graffiti meanings (Ch.XII.31.1-7). “Watch the Skies” could also be “Watch the Ruskies”, for unless the Russians develop it first. “Quantum Jump” is now the “New Deal”. “Mmeltdowns” are now “Sunbursts”, like the symbolism of Dr. Manhattan Teleporting out of the Solar Globe, (Ch.XII.27.6). “One in 3 Go Mad” brings new meaning as its either Veidt going Mad at Karnak, realizing the Horror that he has brought to the World, or every third person going mad because they live in a World in which anywhere you go, or try to hide, anyone with a Teleportation Weapon can make you explode at anytime.

Anyways, as with the Marooned Sailor’s error bringing Horror to Davidstown, that is the parallel Horror that I see Veidt bringing to the World. Needless to say, that my point of view is that the Watchmen World is doomed because it couldn’t withstand the terror that that Teleportation will bring. There is a lot more too it, but I really needed to get this theory out there. Agree or disagree, I thought that this might add a different angle to the GN that could be discussed, and if believed that it is true, maybe it might change some minds about the ending.

Also, when I thought of this, it reminded me of a movie scene that is in the link below. Hence it became my moniker in this Forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoT-h0S1gkE

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Wait...
I don't get it.

How do you figure that Veidt's plan will allow...wait...I think I know what you're saying.

You're saying that he made his plan work by creating teleportation machines which will now be the ultimate weapon and all hell's going to break loose.

I think that makes sense...

Lazlo 1985 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoT-h0S1gkE

Oh snap!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:23 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Yea, those are interesting thoughts.

I just don't think Moore intended this to be the only possible ending after the ending. I actually doubt that he spent any thought on what you bring up at all. The ending of Watchmen is meant to be ambiguous, as far as I can tell, and whatever happens next is left entirely to our minds.

And having said that: what your mind came up with does make a lot of sense.
I mean, I don't dig the Super Villain, but existing technology will be used. After the squid, teleportation is existing technology in the Watchmen world.

One can assume that Veidt will not want this technology to be known by anyone but him alone. But can he kill everyone involved in his project?
Sooner or later something's going to leak.

And to prevent that he might become a paranoid Stalin-like despot. We can see hints of that in the end of the book.

Ugly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:04 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Except for Veidt to teleport the monster to New York, he put something in the institute for extra-spatial studies. It seems like you can't teleport something anywhere you want. You need a pre-existing end point.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:44 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:16 pm 
Crimebuster

Wow…that’s a lot of responses in 12 hours

DCR wrote:
just don't think Moore intended this to be the only possible ending after the ending. I actually doubt that he spent any thought on what you bring up at all. The ending of Watchmen is meant to be ambiguous, as far as I can tell, and whatever happens next is left entirely to our minds.

I actually think that is what Moore intended to be discovered. The deception was that everyone is so fascinated by the Monstrous Squid, and its psychic message, that nobody actually considers a lot about how it actually got there. This is what teleportation does. It can make things explode upon arrival, and it exits in the Watchman world. You don’t even need a Squid.

DCR wrote:
And having said that: what your mind came up with does make a lot of sense. I mean, I don't dig the Super Villain, but existing technology will be used. After the squid, teleportation is existing technology in the Watchmen world.

The Republic Serial Villain was a play on what Ozymandias said to Rorschach and Dreiberg (XI.27.1). The point being that Veidt doesn’t have exclusivity on funding or research. The fact is that teleportation was proven possible, and re-created by Veidt, and his researchers. If it can be re-created, then it can be duplicated by any Nation’s scientists, or individual (like Veidt) with enough funding/resources to try and duplicate it… even a Villain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:35 pm 
Crimebuster

InfinityQuantum wrote:
Except for Veidt to teleport the monster to New York, he put something in the institute for extra-spatial studies. It seems like you can't teleport something anywhere you want. You need a pre-existing end point.

Dr. Manhattan didn't have any pre-existing end point, and there's no reference to anything put into IESS, only the fact that it was teleported there, and it exploded. Anything else is just assumed. It could just be that the coordinates of the IESS were needed to teleport there, and if it could be teleported there, it could be teleported anywhere, instantly, and untraceably, where it could explode just the same if you "wanted it to explode upon arrival".