WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:25 pm 
Vigilante

I have a question about this for the experts. I don't think it was specifically stated as to when their first fight took place. So does anyone have any educated guesses as to what year the first Comedian/Ozymandias fight happen?

I've read a few articles and forum posts about the Comedian vs Ozymandias issue. And I really wanted to find out more details about the first fight.

Blake is 61 in Watchmen and Veidt is 46. Some say that the only reason Comedian won the first time was due to Veidt being young. But how young? I mean, there is a world of difference between 46 vs 61 and 20's vs mid-late 30's. That 15 years difference isn't really on the same scale.

If Veidt was in his early 20's and blake was in his late 30's then the fight was more then fair. It was Blake's experience vs Veidt's prime physical fitness. If anything, by the events of Watchment Blake declined physically far more then Veidt. And this time Ozy had tons more combat experience.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:49 am 
Tired of Earth.

Veidt didn't take up his costume until "the closing months of '58" (Chapter II supplemental, pg. 13). In XI.18, Ozymandias talks of his fight with the Comedian and said that he didn't meet Blake again until 1960 (panel 7), at a party that took place in June of that year (IV.14.1). Given all of this, it's safe to say that the fight in question took place at some point in 1959.

Veidt was born in 1939 (XI.8.2) and Blake was born in 1924 (II.26.2). Blake would be 15 years older, wiser and -- in his mid-30's -- still in his physical prime. Veidt, on the other hand, would be just about 20. He'd certainly be a paragon of intelligence and physical fitness at that age, but certainly not as tough or experienced in his two years of crimefighting as the decorated war hero and lifetime vigilante, Edward Blake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

i would say, rather than it being in 59, i would expect it to be one of veidt's very first outings, so i would think late 58, also the fact that they fought again in 85 would show a nice symmetry. 58, 85, perhaps it was even mid october, making the "rematch" close to the 27th anniversary of their original fight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:19 am 
Tired of Earth.

i would say, rather than it being in 59, i would expect it to be one of veidt's very first outings, so i would think late 58, also the fact that they fought again in 85 would show a nice symmetry. 58, 85, perhaps it was even mid october, making the "rematch" close to the 27th anniversary of their original fight.

nah i get the feeling it was in the summer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

WJK wrote:

I love this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

WJK wrote:

lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 am 
Vigilante

Thanks for the info.

I still think that 46 vs 61 is A LOT bigger advantage then 35 vs 20. It's just no the same 15 years. Blake at 61, wile vastly experienced, would not be a physical comparison to a 20-year old Adrian. I think that Blake beating a 20-year old Adrian is a much bigger physical accomplishement then Adridan beating up a 61-year old Blake.