WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 am 
New Frontiersman

I think it’s fair to say that the Rorschach/NiteOwl II partnership serves as an analogy for Batman; they both represent two sides of Batman’s personality, the flip sides of the coin:

NiteOwl II has obvious similarities costume-wise; he is the crusader for justice, he has funds to support his crusade; he has gadgets and a hi-tech vehicle. He uses violence only when needed.

Rorschach could be said to represent the darker, more driven side of Batman; traumatic childhood; has detective skills, but does not shy away from violence to get what he wants. You could say he represents an extreme view of what Batman could have become.

But despite the fantastic analogy, I find it very surprising that Rorschach would work with ANYONE, let alone Dan, as their methods and personalities differ so much. Dan does not seem comfortable with Rorschach’s methods at all, and if anything, Rorschach seems to hold The Comedian in much higher regard than NiteOwl II.

I am not suggesting that Rorschach and The Comedian would have been a better partnership, and I certainly don’t think the Comedian would associate with Rorschach, but other than Rorschach/NiteOwl II serving as an analogy, are they really suited to work together?

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:29 am 
Tired of Earth.

Rorschach was working with Dan before he cracked, and before the Crimebusters happened. After Blair Roche he started to work more alone, hence why he was containing the riots by himself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 am 
New Frontiersman

WJK wrote:
Rorschach was working with Dan before he cracked, and before the Crimebusters happened. After Blair Roche he started to work more alone, hence why he was containing the riots by himself.

Even so, it's suggested/hinted that Rorschach has always been overly violent, which would not really sit with Dan's approach. Also, Rorschach/Kovacs is portrayed as a friendless loner for the majority of his life/career; any partnership seems somewhat against character.

My point is that Rorschach does not seem predisposed to 'professionally' partnering anybody - especially Dan.

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 am 
Vigilante

Satan's Slut wrote:
I am not suggesting that Rorschach and The Comedian would have been a better partnership, and I certainly don’t think the Comedian would associate with Rorschach, but other than Rorschach/NiteOwl II serving as an analogy, are they really suited to work together?

well if The Comedian had worked with Rorschach, he would probaby think that Rorschach needs to get laid, and Rorschach did have alot of respect for The Comedian, mosty because The Comedian was a solider, serving his country. but you right I dont see anybody else working with Rorschach besides Niteowl.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Interesting post. The Batman type spread over the two has been discussed before on various forums, but the question you ask is relatively novel.

Why would Rorschach work with Dan in the first place?

Because, left to his own devices, he has an operating jurisdiction that constitutes foot patrol and the subway. Teamed up with Dan and the Owlship, he can go anywhere and even get Dan to make him a cool as hell grappling gun.

That both of them wear masks makes real friendship unnecessary and I'm sure it began for pragmatic reasons. Once Walter started sucking on a bent straw, he went his own way.

Perhaps a better question is: Why the hell Dan was working with Rorschach and was he stupid enough to reveal his identity to him, or did Rorschach discover it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Considering how many times Rorschach has been to the Owl lair, I'm sure he had to use the bathroom more than once on occasion. Probably kept tabs on all of the Crimebusters, like the Comedian was doing in the film.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:18 pm 
Vigilante

Vynson wrote:

Perhaps a better question is: Why the hell Dan was working with Rorschach and was he stupid enough to reveal his identity to him, or did Rorschach discover it?

always thought Dan was the type of guy who let his "teammates" know his civillan id, being a little too friendy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:14 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Matter of convenience and professional respect. Think about it -- it's the 60s. There aren't many costumed heroes active in NYC. Most are dead, incapacitated, retired, or working for the government. The only ones likely to encounter one another on duty are Nite Owl, Rorschach, and Captain Metropolis. It would be interesting if we knew anything about Cap and Rorschach or Cap and Nite Owl II ever having any connection, but we don't. Neither ever mentions it. Presumably NO and R got involved on the same case or with the same criminals and found an alliance of usefulness that developed into a more durable partnership. These stories are among the great untold tales of the WATCHMEN universe, IMO.

In the novel, the two characters look back on their adventures together with fondness and it seems apparent to me, at least, that they have genuine respect and even affection for one another. Crimefighting would be a lonely business and they no doubt found it a relief to have companionship during their dangerous work, let alone the tactical advantage provided by a duo.

I'm sure Moore found it handy to have at least some of his characters on friendly, cooperative terms for storytelling purposes, too. This is part of a great comic book tradition, after all. Think of all those team-up stories in the DC and Marvel mythoi.

Post subject: Batty as all hell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:01 am 

I think the lack of logic concerning the Rorschach/NiteOwl team-up speaks to the Batman mythos in a different way. Why the hell would Batman, a nocturnal badass, ever.......e v e r..........adopt some doof wad teenager to be his sidekick? Robin is the dumbest character in all of comicdom... and yet... he works on a certain level... because most of fandom at the time were doof wad teenagers.

I think that Moore was satirizing the nature of super-hero team-ups and sidekicks.

That we are having this conversation rather makes his point... if ... y'know... he was actually making one... and I"m not just inferring... which is certainly a hallmark of a Moore story as well.

Post subject: Re: Batty as all hell
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:11 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Vynson wrote:
Robin is the dumbest character in all of comicdom...

Really :lol: ?

I was thinking more of ...

Post subject: Batman and Groddbin?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am 

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:25 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

There are some real doozies from the marvel silver age as well.