WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:44 pm 
Vigilante

What are some of the specific things you liked or disliked that were different between the movie and the novel?

Pro Movie

> The elaboration on the Comedian’s death scene. I think it was much needed in the novel and the fight was probably one of the most memorable movie fight scenes ever. Totally great!

> The Comedian was older (67 in the movie vs 61 in the novel). I liked him being older. Made the Veidt fight more appropriate IMO.

> Veidt’s plan of using Dr. Manhattan’s energy signature instead of the alien idea in the novel. The movie version was just so much more sound and intelligent. Fake aliens? Just seemed to cartoony and lame. The movie version idea was better.

Pro Book

> I won’t point out the obvious advantage of much more detail about EVERYTHING. LOL That’s a given.

> The ending. I just liked it more than the movie. I think the movie version was more dramatic (Dan seeing his friend die), but the novel version was more satisfying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

A.G. wrote:
> The elaboration on the Comedian’s death scene. I think it was much needed in the novel and the fight was probably one of the most memorable movie fight scenes ever. Totally great!

I agree that was a good thing to elaborate more on that. But one of the most memorable movie fight scenes ever? No, man, not by a long shot.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Ghondar wrote:
A.G. wrote:

I agree that was a good thing to elaborate more on that. But one of the most memorable movie fight scenes ever? No, man, not by a long shot.

For me it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

A.G. wrote:
> Veidt’s plan of using Dr. Manhattan’s energy signature instead of the alien idea in the novel. The movie version was just so much more sound and intelligent. Fake aliens? Just seemed to cartoony and lame. The movie version idea was better.

Massive Disagreement Alert

The alien plan from the novel was much better, the overall idea of Ozymandias' plan resonates with humanity's history, sure, there's a weird and creepy gigantic squid, but the symbolism is very powerful and meaningful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
A.G. wrote:

The alien plan from the novel was much better, the overall idea of Ozymandias' plan resonates with humanity's history, sure, there's a weird and creepy gigantic squid, but the symbolism is very powerful and meaningful.

it's also like what makes watchmen watchmen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I specifically like that the novel is on printed pages that you turn one by one, reading as you go... and you can take as long as you like to do this.

I specifically like the movie for it's immersive motion-picture and sound experience, and the way the story is contained, and it's dynamics intrinsically bound, by a specific period of experiential time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:00 pm 

I liked that the movie had a soundtrack. What was Alan Moore thinking when he left that out? Kudos to Snyder on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Godziller66 wrote:
Ghondar wrote:
A.G. wrote:

For me it is.

depends on how many memorable fight scenes you consider it part of.
is it one of the top 50 most memorable fight scenes ever? probably.
top 10? debatable.
top 5? probably not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:19 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

A.G. wrote:
Fake aliens? Just seemed to cartoony and lame. The movie version idea was better.

"I occasionally think how quickly our differences, worldwide, would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world"

~~RONALD REAGAN... From a speech with President Mikhail Gorbachev, in 1988

Aliens are something that Hollywood does way better than comics. Snyder missed a golden opportunity.

And, really, why the hell would Jon need Adrian to synthesize an energy source. He'd blink and there it would be... kinda like the way it happened in the comic. Adrian merely capitalized on the spark hydrants to deliver the power at street level.

But Jon needing Adrian on a project like this? Please... talk about lame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am 
Vigilante

Quote:

The movie symbolism is "more powerful and meaningful". Think about it. The world is forced to unite against a being most consider to be god-like. As opposed to some "alien monsters" that only appreared once and show no trace of being around again. Manhattan was well known. Some liked him, some didn't. Some worshipped him, some feared him. That's a much more intelligent target that fake monster aliens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

how about a combined ending - making it seem like Manhattan attacked Earth with an alien force? it works better than either ending by itself. imo. because i just made it up lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I submit that the single greatest improvement that Zack Snyder made over the GN was in Big Figure's attempt to kill Rorschach. For starters, cutting off the goon's arms was a big step up from just slitting his throat, since it was more graphic and actually got the big lug out of the way.

Then came the second goon. I don't know about you, but I personally think that Rorschach bashing the guy's head into a toilet and then standing aside for the electrocution is much more fun to watch than just Rorschach kicking in the toilet and expecting the electrocution to happen just in time.

Finally, there's Big Figure himself. I just know that when Snyder first screened that shot of Rorschach and Big Figure through the moving bathroom door, Dave Gibbons was sitting there going "Why didn't I think of that?!" I will admit that the costume satire accompanying that scene in the graphic novel was good and I'm not sure how much sense it would make for Rorschach to stop chasing Big Figure long enough to get his costume back. But visually, there's no denying that scene was so much better in the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm 

Agreed. ^ ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:50 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
Agreed. ^ ;)

Agree with the agreement.

Snyder did an amazing job, but once again, he fucked up a couple of things that mattered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:15 am 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Snyder did an amazing job, but once again, he fucked up a couple of things that mattered.

Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Wouldn't like to repeat myself, but if I must, then it's cutting the Hollis death scene and changing the squid, I AM aware that with Hollis's death scene something had to go because of studio pressure, on another matter, I really wanted to see the squid and the whole theme of "humanity united against one threat".

Still, Snyder did a fantastic job even when he had Warner Brother's looming over him and Alan Moore's curse :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm 
Tired of Earth.

the theme of humanity united against one threat was still in there, silly.

they just changed it from aliens to dr. manhattan.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:13 pm 

WJK wrote:
they just changed it from aliens to dr. manhattan.

It's not the same, Manhattan only represents one man, while the aliens symbolized civilizations clashing with each other in a never-ending loop of constant war, hence "Nothing Ever Ends".

Even though the Manhattan ending is effective, it's not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 am 
Vigilante

Quote:
Even though the Manhattan ending is effective, it's not the same.

Yep, it's not the same. It's better. It makes FAR more sense than an Alien invasion. Nobody knows anything about the one-time occurance of the alient threat. On the other hand, everyone knew Manhattan and his abilities. Some feared him some worshipped him. Him being the "threat" is far more realistic and long-lasting then a fake alien invasion.

As far as Hollis goes, you really should not compare the Theatrical version to the novel. Go with the Ultimate Cut vs the Novel. And the Ultimate Cut is a damn good adaptation. Damn good!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 pm 

A.G. wrote:
Go with the Ultimate Cut vs the Novel. And the Ultimate Cut is a damn good adaptation. Damn good!

QFT