WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Rorschach's Sexuality
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

He's cool, unpredictable,phsycopathic, and is much cooler than the question..but is he homosexual.

clue 1) he holds on to dan's hand pretty long
clue 2) his complete dislike for women and their clothing....the only real gender he is known to hangout eith is men...meaning Nite owl.
He treats Dan like an ex-lover and Rorschach acts like the bust down who pops in to visit and eats his food..........voice your opinions

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
The Watcher

Mothman wrote:
He's cool, unpredictable,phsycopathic, and is much cooler than the question..but is he homosexual.

I think we've covered this in another thread. My feeling is that he is asexual, and has certain issues with women and sex mostly stemmming from his prostitute mother. I honestly think your "clues" are way off. Here's where I'm having problems with your comments...

Mothman wrote:
clue 1) he holds on to dan's hand pretty long

Where does this happen in the book? I never noticed that before.

Mothman wrote:
clue 2) his complete dislike for women and their clothing....the only real gender he is known to hangout eith is men...meaning Nite owl.

A complete dislike for women's clothing? I've never seen any evidence to support that. His mask is a woman's dress, but where does dislike come into it? Also, to say that he only hangs out with men? When does Rorschach ever "hang out" in the book. He's always "working."

Mothman wrote:
He treats Dan like an ex-lover and Rorschach acts like the bust down who pops in to visit and eats his food..........voice your opinions

Again, how does he treat Dan like an ex-lover? I'm not seeing that either. And busting in and eating his food? Not making the ex-lover connection there either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rorschach regards Veidt as a possible homosexual, and he absolutely hates Veidt.

No, Rorschach is asexual. He's uncomfortable about intimacy with either men or women and he doesn't seem to have any sex drive at all. And given his mother, can you blame him?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 pm 
New Frontiersman

I don't think he's homosexual. Yes, he hangs on to Dan's hand for an embarassingly long time... but that could just be his awkward way of showing affection. (DD.. it's in the owlship...Dan has to extricate his hand... hilarious) Physical affection (even tough guys have been known to hug...) hasn't been something he's seen much in his lifetime.

He does dislike women, but that does not a fag make. There are lots of guys who hate women who are also married to them and control them in domineering, hateful ways. They're called mysogynists.

Rorschach also has a distaste for sex... he romanticizes love (the pepsi in green glass bottles thing) but the beast with two backs (as illustrated in his essay at the Charlton home) is utterly repugnant to him. Icky. Poo. Bleaaaaagh!

The correct word to describe Walter's sexuality is Asexual.

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:03 pm 
A brother to dragons.

There's a possibility that Rorschach is gay, but if he is, he suppresses it strongly. It just doesn't mesh at all with his ultra-conservative ideology. Still, I don't think he's physically attracted to men - there's no hint to that anywhere - but comraderie is the strongest positive emotion he knows, and that's what he has with Nite Owl.

And he is absolutely repulsed by women. Maybe if he met the right one, but he seems to presume they're all terrible people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:49 pm 
I DID IT!

Interesting...
I would have never even suspected...not even a thought of him being considored homosexual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:03 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Absolutely 100% asexual. He doesn't have the time to care about intimacy for either men or women. He doesn't even have friends, nor has he ever. His "friendship" with Nite Owl when they were partners was merely circumstantial. To Rorschach, there is only work... and Dan just happened to be a part of that work, so they paired by default.

Though, his character does break in the apocalyptic and hectic scenes of escape, rescue, and arctic retreat. His extra-long handshake with Dan comes across to me as Rorschach realizing that it's the end of days and Dan has really been the only person he's ever really been around for a great deal of time. Rorschach's character breaks for the first time here, which makes him all the more interesting, imo.

It also sets up his final, glorious, powerful "DO IT!"

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:35 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

mike_tyson wrote:
Absolutely 100% asexual.

Not quite - I don't think he's gay, but thanks to his childhood experiences, I think he views sex etc as absolutely wrong - only the scum do it
And maybe I compare the two much but Rorschach is a lot like Travis Bickle. And the first line of the Taxi Driver script:

Quote:
Travis Bickle is pure sex

or something like that - like Travis, Rorschach is a walking talking contradiction - his repressed sexual urges contributing to his anger, etc, I'm sure
So he isn't 100% asexual, maybe just 50% ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:59 pm 
New Frontiersman

mike_tyson wrote:
His extra-long handshake with Dan comes across to me as Rorschach realizing that it's the end of days and Dan has really been the only person he's ever really been around for a great deal of time. Rorschach's character breaks for the first time here, which makes him all the more interesting, imo.

That's actually the second break in character. The first break comes about five pages before when Rorschach confronts his landlady and calls her a whore. Her response...

Quote:
Oh please, don't say that. Not in front of my kids... Please, they... they don't know!

You see the face of her crying child clinging to her skirts.

The next panel, you see Walter's face. The jaw is set firmly but his eyes, full of a knowing sadness, give him away. This is the first time you see him soften.

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm 

dandreiberg wrote:
The next panel, you see Walter's face. The jaw is set firmly but his eyes, full of a knowing sadness, give him away. This is the first time you see him soften.

I don't think that's much to do with his sexuality. IMO, he sympathises with those kids, and perhaps wishes that his mother was there for him
It's not only him softer, but also it shows he regrets his past, maybe/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I think he's trying to save the kids from being turned against women like he was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Mothman wrote:

A complete dislike for women's clothing? I've never seen any evidence to support that. His mask is a woman's dress, but where does dislike come into it?

Chapter VI, page 10.1 Rorschach tells Malcolm: "Job bearable but unpleasant. Had to handle female clothing." In that panel, Walter has a horrified look on his face as his boss, who has his hand draped on Walter's shoulder, is pointing out bras. Hurm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Also, 'when I cut it enough, it didn't look like a woman anymore.'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 pm 

But I think this is really distinguishable from homosexuality, or even asexuality
it's more of a fear than anything

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm 
The Watcher

Burgers N Borscht wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Mothman wrote:

A complete dislike for women's clothing? I've never seen any evidence to support that. His mask is a woman's dress, but where does dislike come into it?

Chapter VI, page 10.1 Rorschach tells Malcolm: "Job bearable but unpleasant. Had to handle female clothing." In that panel, Walter has a horrified look on his face as his boss, who has his hand draped on Walter's shoulder, is pointing out bras. Hurm.

Thank you, sir...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:19 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Asexual -- a lack of desire or interest for sex

Genophobia -- fear of sex

Either of these could apply to Walter. Heck, Walter could be an asexual homosexual -- someone who has/had homosexual feelings, but just doesn't care anymore.

Which is it? Lots of good arguments. Moore leaves it entirely in our hands.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:31 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I think it's more likely that Rorschach has simply never considered his sexuality. He's far too afraid of becoming immoral like his mother or like (in a conservative viewpoint) homosexuals; which is, of course, his curse throughout the graphic novel.

Post subject: Seeing spots
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:27 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Unfortunately for young Walter, we do not always get to ignore our sexuality. Please note in the extra materials Dr. Long managed to gather, we observe young Walter's essay on a very disturbing dream. You don't have to be a genius to read between the lines. Upon entering puberty, Walter had a wet dream starring his mother. Not because he wanted her, but because that was his only exposure to sexuality.

This caused him to link sexuality with prostitution and with his mother and horrified him.

We have to realize that he is still a male animal and likely has to do battle within himself over such issues. His lifestyle is asexual. His psyche? Who the hell knows?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:01 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I doubt he's homosexual. In my opinion, he's more asexual but, I really do see him as a straight man.

He did have a wet dream of his mother after all. . .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:32 am 
New Frontiersman

Poncho_E wrote:
Poncho_E wrote:
I doubt he's homosexual. In my opinion, he's more asexual but, I really do see him as a straight man.

He did have a wet dream of his mother after all. . .

He had a wet dream about his mother and an unidentified man joined at the front... Walter, via Gibbons, draws us a picture of a beast with two backs. Figure it out. ;)

-Juvenal

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next