WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

walkercovex wrote:
This is also shown when he gives his life in tribute to thousands (or millions, in the movie version) that he will never know.

Actually, I believe it's millions in the comic as well.

Anyway, that was an extremely insightful post and a pleasure to read. I wish my first post* was that great.

any of them

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:42 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Godziller66 wrote:
walkercovex wrote:
This is also shown when he gives his life in tribute to thousands (or millions, in the movie version) that he will never know.

Anyway, that was an extremely insightful post and a pleasure to read. I wish my first post* was that great.

any of them

http://www.census.gov/population/www/do ... s0027.html

according to this site, manhattans population was only abour 1.4m in the 80s and i don't think everyone in manhattan died. you could probably say "over a million" but not millions.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:11 am 
Tired of Earth.

i thought 3mil people died in manhattan in the gn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 am 
New Frontiersman

Three million New Yorkers died; it's a big city, there's more to it than just Manhattan.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

i thought the devastation was limited to manhattan, but i guess i was wrong. i suppose it is in the movie though, but then multipled across many cities.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:14 pm 
So impotent.

Godziller66 wrote:
walkercovex wrote:

any of them

Well thanks, I was honestly suprised I was that concise. :shock: :roll:

As far as the numbering thing is concerned, that's just my fault, not a misinterpretation of the text. I guess I was half asleep and just trying to communicate the difference in the movie and gn versions by the amount of people killed, but I guess it was pretty much a moot point, not the focus of my argument. Sorry bout that. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 am 
Minuteman

I think, as part of his general hypocritical nature and contradictions of his own black-and-white ideals, Rorschach's a man of ambiguous sexuality, taking various shades. Because he'd repressed his sexuality and relationships in general all is life, he doesn't know, nor has he ever explored it. His abuse under the upbringing of his prostitute mother, having been exposed to "the worst excesses of a prostitute's lifestyle", may've been completely dulled his sexual attraction to anything, making him an asexual (fitting with his lifestyle). That's the colourless side of him.

But when he was younger, he mentioned what is clearly a wet dream about his mother and a client, and was highly disturbed by this. Also, he expresses dislike for Laurie's costume, meaning that he detests being unintentionally aroused by her in it and/or, regardless of sexuality, he disapproves of the objectification of her revealing costume. This may represent heterosexuality. This is the white side of him. Of course, his hormones and stuff may've changed as he grew older. Now, the lingering handshake with Dan. There is a parallel with Dan's lingering handshake with Laurie, and while it might simply be Rorschach's social ineptitude and/or realization of his close friendship with his only true companion (as well as the fact that he didn't know whether or not he'd die, as written in his journal before he sent it off), there's a fair case to be made that Rorschach might have feelings for Dan beyond friendship/platonic love: homosexuality. This is the black side of him.

He mentions something about "American love" as opposed to "Swedish love" or whatever else the prostitute offers him, and how they "don't make them like that anymore". As far as we know, Rorschach doesn't have any experience in sex or relationships, so what would he be talking about? Simply pansexual/platonic love? This is the grey side of him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

This has to be one of the most interesting threads on the forum.

*goes back and reads from the beginning*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 am 
So impotent.

I think he is asexual, but perhaps have a romantic orientation.
That says he is not repulsive to Platonian love, but only sex. The metaphor of coke in green glass bottles sounds romantic to me.

A brief differentiation of sexual and romantic orientations:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-70w8lCI8ESA/UdbXaCvhkMI/AAAAAAAACOg/nDrYLW8de9U/s1600/2013_05_SexualRomanticSpectrumWIDE.png

Actually this makes me like him more, as I sometimes consider myself as an asexual with romantic feelings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12