WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:59 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Looked perfectly coherent to me. I guess The Last Airbender didn't fry your brain that bad.

Of course everything SHE says will always seem coherent to you :) !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

^ Funny how the punched guy looks like you, but the puncher doesn't look like Jester :lol:

And in an attempt to keep on topic --> Whatever happened to The Veidt Method ? he would've made some great discussion in this topic !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

feliciano182 wrote:
^ Funny how the punched guy looks like you, but the puncher doesn't look like Jester :lol:

Well, the punched guy is supposed to be you....and I guess I'm supposed to be pink haired girl.

But yeah, I think you knew that.

feliciano182 wrote:
And in an attempt to keep on topic --> Whatever happened to The Veidt Method ? he would've made some great discussion in this topic !

Biceps exploded. Dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:28 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Well, the punched guy is supposed to be you....and I guess I'm supposed to be pink haired girl.

Indeed 8-)

Godziller66 wrote:
Biceps exploded. Dead.

Good one :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 am 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Indeed 8-)

Godziller66 wrote:
Biceps exploded. Dead.

Good one :lol:

Everybody laughs. Roll on snare. Curtains.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:42 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Alan Moore doesn't write in the Tales of the Black Freighter just because he thinks a pirate comic might be cool. He uses it as an allegory to have the mariner in the story represent Veidt. The mariner has convinced himself that a lethal tragedy will befall his family, and sets out to prevent it. He kills everything in his path in the name of what he perceives is the greater good. Not only does he wind up being mistaken, but kills his own family needlessly. He is then taken in by the very people he set out to destroy. He battled monsters, and in the end became one.

The armageddon that Veidt saves is 1) created by Veidt himself, or 2)not sure to happen anyway, or 3) very temporary.

Could Veidt be the savior, akin to the numerous Jesus references -- eh, maybe. But it's also not hard to "hate" a guy who sits on his parents tombstone casually chewing on some straw as if he were the one responsible for their death.

Veidt as hero -- Veidt as villian. Nice job Mr Moore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:36 am 

^ That's been said before, and that's certainly not a bad thing, I've always liked that theory.

Then again, I thought "Tales Of The Black Freighter" was just a creative exercise, Moore did wonder what comics would be if real superheroes were an every day sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:42 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

The bit with the sharks and also the imagery in a couple of frames are straightforward references to veidt's story.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:01 am 
Tired of Earth.

the shark is meant to apparently represent rorschach or something, like the description of the shark also matches rorschach as well, idk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:06 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

WJK wrote:
the shark is meant to apparently represent rorschach or something, like the description of the shark also matches rorschach as well, idk.

The sharks are the whole gang coming to karnak. So yeah, one is meant to be rorschach.
Get bnb or vynson to explain that sorta stuff though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Tired of Earth.

V.20.3-6

Quote:
How shall I describe it? It was massive, like no shark I'd ever heard tell of, with skin neither black nor wholly white, but a pale and mottled yellow.
The "neither black nor wholly white" line could easily refer to Rorschach, but I think that this shark in particular is actually a symbol of both the Comedian and Rorschach. Just watch.

Quote:
Further, it was entangled in my ropes. Terrified, lest it should re-submerge and drag me with it, I fell to my knees clutching a splinter of mast that had snapped off in my hand.
The Comedian got tangled up in Veidt's plot. Afraid that Blake would ruin everything, Veidt killed him.

Quote:
The shark's stained marble eye looked up at me... and, in that instant, we knew each other.
The first part may reference Rorschach. The second part could be an interesting comment on what was going through the respective heads of Veidt and Blake at the time.

In panel 20, we see that the shark's blood is forming a distinct arrow of blood. In V.21.7, the 11 o'clock bloody arrow is clearly visible. The Comedian's murder was the creation of the bloody arrow and since Rorschach himself ended up as a giant bloody arrow.

I think this is enough to establish that this shark represents the two heroes who learned of Veidt's plot and were killed so that it would succeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:58 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

I didnt hate him, i rather liked him.
In fact I made a video tribute to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqSRf72wwXk

"no man could understand"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:26 am 
Crimebuster

i don't hate veidt. he was misguided sure, but he wasn't your standard comic book villain. and sure he may have been evil, but you can't deny that his motives were good. you could probably say that he is an anti-villain, to mirror Rorchachs role as anti-hero.

even the characters don't hate him in the end, apart from rorchach, perhaps it is only rorschach fans who hate veidt. an interesting thought.

That's a great Idea! :D :D
I'm totally obsessed with Rorschach :oops: so I hated Adrian the virst time I saw the movie....
But in time I understood that he did what he thought was necesarry.....but besides the so called God Complex, :roll: I'm not sure if he thought this would end war as it is or just end the thought of a nuclear war at the time?

'Cus he sure understood that self-destruction is human nature....so he therefor just wanted to postpone it. :P

And I'm sure as hell that there were other ways to do that. :!:
Though I don't see them. :)

All of them in different mesure have the HERO complex...they feel like they have a duty to other people duty to use their potencials completely.
And his potentials are amazing, bigger than anyone else's.....so imagine what pain it brings him to accept that there's nothing he can do when the world around you is falling apart.
Like Rorschach did, in a way.He gave up on humanity.

We are simple folk, we can't really do much if we wanted to. :|
He can. 8-)

That's not easy to live with.
And not reasonable to condemn.

Fire, walk with me