WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 am 
Crimebuster

how did Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns start the Dark Age? I know the Comedian and rorschach are cool but still, I don't know how they contributed to the mess that was the Dark Age of comic books. How did that happen so easily?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

What happened was that the comic book industry tried to replicate the successes of Watchmen and DKR. Unfortunately, they concluded that the books succeeded because they were dark and gritty, rather than because they were intelligent. It also didn't help that the collector craze was big back then, with new comic book series getting shoved out constantly so that "Collector's Edition #1" issues could be released.

So, yeah: Forced grittiness + Holofoil covers + Rob Liefeld = The Dark Age

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Yeah, it's kind of like what Superhero movies are doing in response to TDK, it is realistic, therefore it did well, so now every hero is getting the "realism" treatment but guys like Superman, Green Lantern, Deadpool, The X-Men and most major heroes can't be placed in a realistic world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Yeah, it's kind of like what Superhero movies are doing in response to TDK, it is realistic, therefore it did well, so now every hero is getting the "realism" treatment but guys like Superman, Green Lantern, Deadpool, The X-Men and most major heroes can't be placed in a realistic world.

not without removing all the good villains. hence why every superman movie has lex luthor. seriously, they need to throw in braniac or darkseid. if chris nolan makes The Man of Steel, i want supes to fly to other planets and not defend earth for a sixth time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 pm 
Crimebuster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
What happened was that the comic book industry tried to replicate the successes of Watchmen and DKR. Unfortunately, they concluded that the books succeeded because they were dark and gritty, rather than because they were intelligent. It also didn't help that the collector craze was big back then, with new comic book series getting shoved out constantly so that "Collector's Edition #1" issues could be released.

So, yeah: Forced grittiness + Holofoil covers + Rob Liefeld = The Dark Age

I see follow the leader and they didn't really do it well chunring out only muck and mud.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Quote:
not without removing all the good villains. hence why every superman movie has lex luthor. seriously, they need to throw in braniac or darkseid. if chris nolan makes The Man of Steel, i want supes to fly to other planets and not defend earth for a sixth time.

"Realism" isn't possible with such heroes erspecialy with all that goes on in their stories. I do enjoy some comics but superheroes aew all about being being heroic, defeating the villain, saving the world and basically being demigods. Even Batman is fantastic in some circles especially in how his rogues gallery is formed, in Watchmen the characters felt so mortal and human that it feels more believable than any book in the mainstream nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 pm 

GAP wrote:
the characters felt so mortal and human that it feels more believable than any book in the mainstream nowadays.

did you miss the nigh omnipotent blue dude?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
Crimebuster

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:
the characters felt so mortal and human that it feels more believable than any book in the mainstream nowadays.

Maybe not Dr.Manhattan. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 am 

GAP wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:

Then I would turn your attention to Kick-Ass and to a much lesser extent Invincible. Kick-Ass (the book) none of them have powers (the movie can be argued that Hit-Girl is actually neo) and Invincible even though the main character has powers, he is very human in everything he does

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:27 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:

Then I would turn your attention to Kick-Ass and to a much lesser extent Invincible. Kick-Ass (the book) none of them have powers (the movie can be argued that Hit-Girl is actually neo) and Invincible even though the main character has powers, he is very human in everything he does

i don't know if i'd call being hit by a car and having to have loads of metal plates and stuff put in, and nerve damage a "power" as such.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:15 am 

i don't know if i'd call being hit by a car and having to have loads of metal plates and stuff put in, and nerve damage a "power" as such.

I didn't call it a power and I don't expect you to. I said movie Hit-Girl ahs borderline superpowers when she like flipps clips in the air and catches them at a full run, and her over all just Neo atmosphere. I never said Kick-Ass has powers, because he doesn't

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I didn't call it a power and I don't expect you to. I said movie Hit-Girl ahs borderline superpowers when she like flipps clips in the air and catches them at a full run, and her over all just Neo atmosphere. I never said Kick-Ass has powers, because he doesn't

i misunderstood, i read your post wrong, i thought you were calling hit girl invincible then saying "the main character has powers" still thinking you were talking about kick-ass, rather than talking about the series "Invincible"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 pm 

i misunderstood, i read your post wrong, i thought you were calling hit girl invincible then saying "the main character has powers" still thinking you were talking about kick-ass, rather than talking about the series "Invincible"

it's all good, I actually reread your post and mine and it dawned on me where you were coming from

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:25 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

it's all good, I actually reread your post and mine and it dawned on me where you were coming from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0 ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:34 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:

But we can be friends... because we both admitted we were wrong... hooray for admittance of errors!