WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Watchmen's NY map
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:57 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm not sure if I am able to comprehend Moore's and Gibbon's map of NY.

According to Rorschach, Gunga Diner is located at 'Fortieth and Seventh' (V, 11, 6), presumably the 40th st. and 7th ave.

At the opposite side of 7th, we find find the Promethean Cab. In front of Gunga, at the oposite side of 40th st. there's the Utopia cine. In front of Promethean, we can see the Institute for Extraspatial Studies. From this intersection we can see the Chrysler Building (XI, 27, 7 and XII, 7, 1).

There's only one problem: the real Madison Square Garden can not be seen from this intersection. Moore's MSG is located at the 39th with 7th ave.

I'm don't know why Moore and Gibbons conceived this distorted map. Can someone explain this?

Post subject: Re: Watchmen's NY map
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

You'd think that Moore and Gibbons would be more meticulous about that sort of thing, but maybe they just didn't care if the geography worked out.

I mean, how many people really caught that? I don't think most would.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
Tired of Earth.

It is an alternate Earth after all, so maybe some bits of NYC were built differently (and to adjust to the comic's story). Veidt Tower is just down the street from the Empire State Building (so is MSG), and judging on its location (as seen in the film), Veidt Tower stands roughly at where MSG is in real life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

WJK wrote:
It is an alternate Earth after all, so maybe some bits of NYC were built differently (and to adjust to the comic's story). Veidt Tower is just down the street from the Empire State Building (so is MSG), and judging on its location (as seen in the film), Veidt Tower stands roughly at where MSG is in real life.

Probably this, like Marvel's NY has to be different from ours because things like The Baxter building don't exist in nothingness, they need space and that would displace some stuff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:33 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

WJK might be right. The MSG opening event occured on 1968...

Quote:
History of Madison Square Garden

The current Madison Square Garden is actually the 4th building to be called Madison Square Garden. The opening event was held on February 11, 1968 with a gala salute to the USO starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. Over the last 4 decades, MSG has hosted tens of thousands of world-class events.

Just a curiosity: using google maps, I noticed that intersection at the 40th st. and 7th ave has the comic shop 'Midtown Comics', a restaurant called 'Sunrise Deli' and the 'Fashion Institute of Technology'.