WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm 
Crimebuster

I felt Rorschach was not intentionally wanted to save others

Quote:
The World Will Look Up and Shout, “Save Us!” And I'll Look Down and Whisper, “No!”

in that he sees his actions as a personal salvation, a process of preserving individual integrity,

Quote:
Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do

by making the 'right' choice on his own account, disregarding others feelings. That could very possible be the nature of his vigilantism.

Many interprete his actions as enforcing his own 'consistent' morality, thus making him a fascist, this is terribly wrong in that someone enforcing a morality will essentially require others to behave according certain principles, while Rorschach doesn't give a s**t about how others would act.

A sheer juxtaposition is Ozymandias, who in nature actually *believe* that he can help the world. His belief inevitably leads him to the point that he feels he can make the right choice in favor of the entire mankind, and I don't inherently believe Hitler or Stalin or Mao has killed so much only because they are selfish. That kind of mass murder desperately needs something *other* than selfishness.

To conclude my argument, I would propose a though experiment:
1.would there be many differences on the outcome of such two ideologies and actions, other than their scale;
2.what would've become if these two exchanged their positions?
following such pondering, you can answer my question at the very beginning:

How to SAVE others in the rightful way? (By ignoring is not the option, as Dr M has prooved.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Point of interest: You misquoted Rorschach. The actual line (I.1.3) is "The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and should 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'"

He doesn't want to rise above as the entire world goes down in flames, he just wants those he deems unworthy to die horrible deaths while the righteous (including him, of course) survive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:00 pm 
Crimebuster

Well that's quite a plot you mentioned there, but I don't even think he is a man of agenda.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

ancylostomiasis wrote:
Well that's quite a plot you mentioned there, but I don't even think he is a man of agenda.

He didn't, but he certainly attempted to remind himself of how much "better" he was and how fucked up everyone else was.

It's a simple jab at objectivism from Moore.