WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Crimebuster

Exact;y as ther title says, what exactly was the Comedians point when he said this?

"America has problems that need tackling ... and it takes a moron to think they're small enough for clowns like you guys to handle. What's going down in this world, you got no idea. Believe me ... you people are a joke. You hear Moloch's back in town, you think 'Oh, boy! Let's gang up and bust him!' You think that matters? You think that solves anything?"

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

He means that in a world where global superpowers are on the brink of war, capable of wiping out all humanity in a radioactive mushroom cloud in the process, what difference does it make to put a few purse-snatchers behind bars?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm 
Crimebuster

^ I guess that answers that but I can see the point behind that statement. I know it is a Cold War era thing but can the quote be applied to the Post Cold War Era world?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:11 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

GAP wrote:
^ I guess that answers that but I can see the point behind that statement. I know it is a Cold War era thing but can the quote be applied to the Post Cold War Era world?

Most definitely, like in today's world of global terrorism, is putting a mugger in abrs really making the world a better place when Hamas is blowing up buildings left and right? That's up for debate

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:

Most definitely, like in today's world of global terrorism, is putting a mugger in abrs really making the world a better place when Hamas is blowing up buildings left and right? That's up for debate

The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I think the sentiment of The Comedian, and of the comic as whole, was always "Thinking that you saved the world by putting a madman behind bars", I find that more accurate.

Because if putting muggers in jail is up for debate, then so is the need of the police.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm 

WJK wrote:

If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.

Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.

Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).

Fuck I hate America

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:33 pm 

Smutty wrote:
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

Fuck I hate America

*High five*

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm 

WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

And in the process spreading radiation into the gulfstreams and around the world. And sorry to break this to you, but if iran gets a nuke they'll toss it at Israel long before us.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

And in the process spreading radiation into the gulfstreams and around the world. And sorry to break this to you, but if iran gets a nuke they'll toss it at Israel long before us.

I like this guy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm 

Smutty wrote:
I like this guy

everyone does, puddin' pop

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Because if putting muggers in jail is up for debate, then so is the need of the police.

I really shouldn't touch that, since it's a whole 'nother kettle of fish... oh, all right.

There are a lot of differences between superheroes and the police. Perhaps the most important difference as far as this thread is concerned is that there are way more policemen than there are supermen. As our crew of Crimebusters learned during the '77 riots, it takes an army to maintain a civilization.

A single individual solving crimes one at a time isn't enough. Even half a dozen individuals pooling their efforts won't make a dent. It really does take a crew the size of the NYPD to keep New York City at least partly clean. By the same principle, anyone hoping to affect international matters had better have a group as big and powerful as the US military.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
A single individual solving crimes one at a time isn't enough. Even half a dozen individuals pooling their efforts won't make a dent. It really does take a crew the size of the NYPD to keep New York City at least partly clean. By the same principle, anyone hoping to affect international matters had better have a group as big and powerful as the US military.

So the answer to Watchmen was always.................more supers ?

The way I see it, even if there was an army of supers, things wouldn't change because their quests, according to their modus operandi and logic exemplified in the novel, would be to chase petty criminals, instead of exercising REAL change and tackling REAL threats in the world.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

So the answer to Watchmen was always.................more supers ?

The way I see it, even if there was an army of supers, things wouldn't change because their quests, according to their modus operandi and logic exemplified in the novel, would be to chase petty criminals, instead of exercising REAL change and tackling REAL threats in the world.

Which is where Moore's criticism of Government comes into play

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Which is where Moore's criticism of Government comes into play

Maybe, but it's still prerogative of the supers to tackle, or not tackle, world-threatening events.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:

emphasised for emphasis.

regardless of how much iran wants nukes, they are still several years, and a lot of capital, away from having one, and even when they do, all they'll have is one, comparing that to the threat of nuclear war present during the cold war when both sides had many many nukes, it's not really the same level of threat.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 am 

regardless of how much iran wants nukes, they are still several years, and a lot of capital, away from having one, and even when they do, all they'll have is one, comparing that to the threat of nuclear war present during the cold war when both sides had many many nukes, it's not really the same level of threat.

But, with the strength of today's nukes and how small their target (Israel) is, they would have a very real chance of wipng out israel, and then there would be major retaliation from America and probably some others.