WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 44
Exact;y as ther title says, what exactly was the Comedians point when he said this?

"America has problems that need tackling ... and it takes a moron to think they're small enough for clowns like you guys to handle. What's going down in this world, you got no idea. Believe me ... you people are a joke. You hear Moloch's back in town, you think 'Oh, boy! Let's gang up and bust him!' You think that matters? You think that solves anything?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
He means that in a world where global superpowers are on the brink of war, capable of wiping out all humanity in a radioactive mushroom cloud in the process, what difference does it make to put a few purse-snatchers behind bars?

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 pm
Posts: 44
^ I guess that answers that but I can see the point behind that statement. I know it is a Cold War era thing but can the quote be applied to the Post Cold War Era world?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:11 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
GAP wrote:
^ I guess that answers that but I can see the point behind that statement. I know it is a Cold War era thing but can the quote be applied to the Post Cold War Era world?


Most definitely, like in today's world of global terrorism, is putting a mugger in abrs really making the world a better place when Hamas is blowing up buildings left and right? That's up for debate

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
GAP wrote:
^ I guess that answers that but I can see the point behind that statement. I know it is a Cold War era thing but can the quote be applied to the Post Cold War Era world?


Most definitely, like in today's world of global terrorism, is putting a mugger in abrs really making the world a better place when Hamas is blowing up buildings left and right? That's up for debate


The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Most definitely, like in today's world of global terrorism, is putting a mugger in abrs really making the world a better place when Hamas is blowing up buildings left and right? That's up for debate


I think the sentiment of The Comedian, and of the comic as whole, was always "Thinking that you saved the world by putting a madman behind bars", I find that more accurate.

Because if putting muggers in jail is up for debate, then so is the need of the police.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.


Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.


Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).


Fuck I hate America

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:33 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Smutty wrote:
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.


Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).


Fuck I hate America


*High five*

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.


Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).


And in the process spreading radiation into the gulfstreams and around the world. And sorry to break this to you, but if iran gets a nuke they'll toss it at Israel long before us.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


In which we'll shoot down their nuke with one of our nukes, along with sending 10,000 right back at them and hitting their nuke factories, thus pretty much eradicating Iran.


Of course, that's only if they manage to get a nuke that can make it over here (unlike North Korea).


And in the process spreading radiation into the gulfstreams and around the world. And sorry to break this to you, but if iran gets a nuke they'll toss it at Israel long before us.


I like this guy

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Smutty wrote:
I like this guy


everyone does, puddin' pop

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Image

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
feliciano182 wrote:
Because if putting muggers in jail is up for debate, then so is the need of the police.

I really shouldn't touch that, since it's a whole 'nother kettle of fish... oh, all right.

There are a lot of differences between superheroes and the police. Perhaps the most important difference as far as this thread is concerned is that there are way more policemen than there are supermen. As our crew of Crimebusters learned during the '77 riots, it takes an army to maintain a civilization.

A single individual solving crimes one at a time isn't enough. Even half a dozen individuals pooling their efforts won't make a dent. It really does take a crew the size of the NYPD to keep New York City at least partly clean. By the same principle, anyone hoping to affect international matters had better have a group as big and powerful as the US military.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
A single individual solving crimes one at a time isn't enough. Even half a dozen individuals pooling their efforts won't make a dent. It really does take a crew the size of the NYPD to keep New York City at least partly clean. By the same principle, anyone hoping to affect international matters had better have a group as big and powerful as the US military.


So the answer to Watchmen was always.................more supers ?

The way I see it, even if there was an army of supers, things wouldn't change because their quests, according to their modus operandi and logic exemplified in the novel, would be to chase petty criminals, instead of exercising REAL change and tackling REAL threats in the world.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
A single individual solving crimes one at a time isn't enough. Even half a dozen individuals pooling their efforts won't make a dent. It really does take a crew the size of the NYPD to keep New York City at least partly clean. By the same principle, anyone hoping to affect international matters had better have a group as big and powerful as the US military.


So the answer to Watchmen was always.................more supers ?

The way I see it, even if there was an army of supers, things wouldn't change because their quests, according to their modus operandi and logic exemplified in the novel, would be to chase petty criminals, instead of exercising REAL change and tackling REAL threats in the world.


Which is where Moore's criticism of Government comes into play

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Which is where Moore's criticism of Government comes into play


Maybe, but it's still prerogative of the supers to tackle, or not tackle, world-threatening events.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
WJK wrote:
The only real difference being the threat of nuclear war removed.


If Iran gets a nuke... I think there will be threats


emphasised for emphasis.

regardless of how much iran wants nukes, they are still several years, and a lot of capital, away from having one, and even when they do, all they'll have is one, comparing that to the threat of nuclear war present during the cold war when both sides had many many nukes, it's not really the same level of threat.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
AvatarIII wrote:
regardless of how much iran wants nukes, they are still several years, and a lot of capital, away from having one, and even when they do, all they'll have is one, comparing that to the threat of nuclear war present during the cold war when both sides had many many nukes, it's not really the same level of threat.


But, with the strength of today's nukes and how small their target (Israel) is, they would have a very real chance of wipng out israel, and then there would be major retaliation from America and probably some others.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.100s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]