WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 pm 
Minuteman

To me, wishing for a sequel to watchmen is like hoping the Beatles would get back together in 1979. It's never gonna happen, and why would you want it to? It would never be the same, just appreciate something special for what it is. To me, the detail level in Watchmen already makes it the gift that keeps on giving. Like Alan Moore said, he and Dave set out to create the comic people needed, not the one they wanted. Thats why it's so awesome, but I think any spinoff would be... vulgar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:34 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

To my mind, the only Watchmen spin-off possible would be Alan Moore's suggested prequel detailing the adventures of the Minutemen. This would, however, probably be a pretty depressing read given all the stuff that happens to them (but we would get to see more of our favorite Comedian!). Or, even better, it could detail the Minutemen as well as Rorschach's adventures with Nite Owl. However, this could prove to be a tricky prospect because many scenes that would appear in the book also appear in Watchmen, and it might be difficult to establish a new and exciting story that fits perfectly with what we know from Watchmen. (I hope that wasn't the most poorly-worded sentence you all have ever read.)

As for a sequel, I think that's one of the worst ideas ever proposed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:29 pm 
Crimebuster

I think they should have a mini series for each major character ( Rorschach, Comedian, Nite Owl 2, ect.)

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...and I'll look down, and whisper 'No'." October 12th, 1985

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:39 pm 
So impotent.

I'd love to see a story about what made The Comedian the way he is... or was I should say.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:48 pm 
Vigilante

out of most the characters in Watchmen, The Comedian should have a spin-off. I mean Blake was 16 when become an costumed adventure till the end of his life at 61. Blake was the Comedian for 47 years, maybe see some of His missions as Black-Ops/CIA agent, or his time serving in WW2. I mean there most be tons of stories they could do.

also what kind of home life did Blake have to grow up the way he was, or maybe he was just born born bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

TheDude311 wrote:
out of most the characters in Watchmen, The Comedian should have a spin-off. I mean Blake was 16 when become an costumed adventure till the end of his life at 61. Blake was the Comedian for 47 years, maybe see some of His missions as Black-Ops/CIA agent, or his time serving in WW2. I mean there most be tons of stories they could do.

also what kind of home life did Blake have to grow up the way he was, or maybe he was just born born bad.

Oh, I have tons of conjecture about the Comedian personally, but this is probably the wrong thread (as well as the wrong forum) for that.

As for a real sequel...didn't Moore once say somewhere that The Twilight Of the Superheroes was sort of meant to be like a sequel?

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Oh, I have tons of conjecture about the Comedian personally, but this is probably the wrong thread (as well as the wrong forum) for that.

As for a real sequel...didn't Moore once say somewhere that The Twilight Of the Superheroes was sort of meant to be like a sequel?

Never heard of "Twilight of the Superheroes" and went looking it up. Just went through this website and the plot summary that may or may not have been Alan Moore's actual proposal.

MY.

GOD.

My respect for Moore has just reached insane levels. I can't even-I don't-I-wow. Sheer brilliance.

The man is THE genius of his medium. :shock:

The only two things that make me sad is that this project will probably never see the light of day...

...and that everybody always seems to pick on Billy Batson/Captain Marvel (my favorite DC character) in these kinds of "future" stories. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

JiangWei23 wrote:
numb3r5ev3n wrote:

Never heard of "Twilight of the Superheroes" and went looking it up. Just went through this website and the plot summary that may or may not have been Alan Moore's actual proposal.

MY.

GOD.

My respect for Moore has just reached insane levels. I can't even-I don't-I-wow. Sheer brilliance.

The man is THE genius of his medium. :shock:

The only two things that make me sad is that this project will probably never see the light of day...

...and that everybody always seems to pick on Billy Batson/Captain Marvel (my favorite DC character) in these kinds of "future" stories. :cry:

I know. ;_; I'd love to see this actually make it to print.

Also, I tried to imagine what it would be like if they tried to pull off this storyline in the JLU cartoon, and my brain broke.

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59 pm 
Human Bean Juice

numb3r5ev3n wrote:

I know. ;_; I'd love to see this actually make it to print.

Also, I tried to imagine what it would be like if they tried to pull off this storyline in the JLU cartoon, and my brain broke.

Holy shit...I tried thinking that too...and my head was metaphorically split in half by a meat cleaver...damn...it's just not humanly possible. Just like my secret wish to have DUEL remade...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:35 pm 
So impotent.

I'm really glad u brought this up what about a story arc chronicling Nite Owl II and Rorschach during their partner days or the comedian and DOc Manhattan in Vietnam?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:42 pm 
Human Bean Juice

itsallajoke wrote:
I'm really glad u brought this up what about a story arc chronicling Nite Owl II and Rorschach during their partner days or the comedian and DOc Manhattan in Vietnam?

I think that's what THE END IS NIGH video game is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:39 pm 
Tired of Earth.

itsallajoke wrote:

If you want those, you'll find them in the video game tie-ins.

Seriously, though, I wish they had left the GN as it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
For me, a sequel is absolutely out of the question. The last panel of the series is meant to be ambiguous; if you set a definite outcome and make it canon, the ending is ruined. It's best if every reader makes up his/her own ending, based on his/her own morals.

Very true. I wasn't thinking of a "direct" sequel or seemless continuation of the original Watchmen plot, but an entirely new plot that may include some of the same characters. Reference to the previous story could remain cryptic and intentionally ignored. But, Curiousity, maybe your right. I'm still for prequel spin-offs. Rorschach by Frank Miller anyone?

Keep Frank Miller as far away from these characters and this story as possible. Miller has mined his particular brand of noir-on-steroids so much that it's completely stale and teetering on self-parody.

I can just see it now: "Who am I? I'm the goddamn Rorschach."

Blech.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 pm 
Vigilante

Captain Carnage wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
For me, a sequel is absolutely out of the question. The last panel of the series is meant to be ambiguous; if you set a definite outcome and make it canon, the ending is ruined. It's best if every reader makes up his/her own ending, based on his/her own morals.

Very true. I wasn't thinking of a "direct" sequel or seemless continuation of the original Watchmen plot, but an entirely new plot that may include some of the same characters. Reference to the previous story could remain cryptic and intentionally ignored. But, Curiousity, maybe your right. I'm still for prequel spin-offs. Rorschach by Frank Miller anyone?

Keep Frank Miller as far away from these characters and this story as possible. Miller has mined his particular brand of noir-on-steroids so much that it's completely stale and teetering on self-parody.

I can just see it now: "Who am I? I'm the goddamn Rorschach."

Blech.

no no it should have been "Who am I? I'm The Goddamn Comedian"

Post subject: sequel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

I've had this nagging idea of "what if" about a sequel to Watchmen, and for now im talking about the story itself, not the comic or the movie. Like the biggest dissapointment for me was rorschach''s death, and the second dissapointment was the story ended. I was so engrossed in the world of watchmen it was entremely bittersweet by the end. So, being that i have a wildly creative mind, i began formulating a plot idea.

What if Jon went off the deep end, like for instance, he obviously has emotions and is subject to being provoked.
What if after a long absence (5-6+ years) he begins to (for lack of a better word) fester over what adrian did. And in order to stop himself from exacting due justice on Adrian, he reaches into the "space between space" and creates a being.
But the being itself is devoid of life. Because no matter how godly Jon is he cannot create a soul. But what if in that space between spaces is the essence(? spirit? soul?) of Kovacs; who Jon believes is the only one he trusts to look at the situation in 'black and white'. So he infuses Kovac's essence into the lifeless shell (a body like doctor m's but black and for a face, white 'ink blots') and sends him to earth to warn Adrian and Dan and Laurie of the impending horror.

I even had the opening narration by Kovacs worked out.
"The politicians, beaureucrats, and philosiphers got it all wrong. They look for an allmighty, deeper meaning to life. I've seen life, the dark parts of it, the kind you can't turn your back on. I died defending the truth. And in my final moments i knew: "Its not how your die, its what you died for."

Am I just being juvenille to think this could ever possibly see the light of day?
Cause I'm tired of prequels and flashbacks. I desperately want to see more.

I mean even anything, if not this story, some story. I dont pretend to be an alan moore, but are we going to wait forever for him to stop being so bitter. I swear... the day he DOES sanction a sequel he'll be 97 and he'll die from a heart attack.

Post subject: Re: sequel
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:05 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i saw watchmen 2 the other day, it was great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

WJK wrote:
i saw watchmen 2 the other day, it was great

ha ha
im not talking about a movie. Just a story in general

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:24 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

NiteOwl wrote:
Like the biggest dissapointment for me was rorschach''s death, and the second dissapointment was the story ended.

Would you elaborate on those two ? usually I've met people who have misunderstood the story and have quoted both Rorschach's death and the ending as what they didn't like.

NiteOwl wrote:
I mean even anything, if not this story, some story. I dont pretend to be an alan moore, but are we going to wait forever for him to stop being so bitter. I swear... the day he DOES sanction a sequel he'll be 97 and he'll die from a heart attack.

Have you heard about the deal that DC recently offered to Alan Moore ?, if you do, then that's why he is right in being as bitter as he is, he has been fucked several times over by a lot of people in both industries, I think he has actually taken it quite well, if I was him I would go Keyser Soze on DC's ass.

And I personally see no point in a Watchmen sequel other than the love for some of the characters, mostly, I would be afraid of somehow fucking it up simply because of the idea of continuing the series, if I had any editorial rights to continue Watchmen, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have anything to say with Manhattan, Laurie, Dan & Ozy, no not Rorschach, because he is DEAD :P !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:34 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

feliciano182 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Like the biggest dissapointment for me was rorschach''s death, and the second dissapointment was the story ended.

Would you elaborate on those two ? usually I've met people who have misunderstood the story and have quoted both Rorschach's death and the ending as what they didn't like.

No; he was just disappointed that it ended.

I was too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

No; he was just disappointed that it ended.

I was too.

Somehow in my mind it sounded like "How it ended" :lol:

But if the former's the case, then yes, I am sad that it ended too :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next