WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Comedian's Gimp mask
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 pm 
Minuteman

It can't be just me that thinks that, in the Comedian's latest costume (adopted in the 1970s), it looks like he's wearing a Gimp mask. But why? He's not homosexual and/or into BDSM (presumably). Was it merely to showcase his brutality? But with how delicately Moore and Gibbons detailed practically every aspect of the story and art, with hidden subtexts that you may only notice the fifth read around, it'd be strange if it was only some strangely coincidental resemblance. And if anything, a Gimp mask would imply masochism and submission, not dominance and sadism (which is what the Comedian's character entails).

Or was it meant to be some kind of ironic joke?

Last edited by Prophet of Doom on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:00 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Prophet of Doom wrote:
Why is it that, in the Comedian's latest costume (adopted in the 1970s), it looks like he's wearing a Gimp mask?

It can't be just me that thinks that, in the Comedian's second costume (adopted in the 1970s), it looks like he's wearing a Gimp mask. But why? He's not homosexual and/or into BDSM (presumably). Was it merely to showcase his brutality? But with how delicately Moore and Gibbons detailed practically every aspect of the story and art, with hidden subtexts that you may only notice the fifth read around, it'd be strange if it was only some strangely coincidental resemblance. And if anything, a Gimp mask would imply masochism and submission, not dominance and sadism (which is what the Comedian's character entails).

It was probably meant to represent his sadism.

Though one could say that the mask symbolized how he himself was the government's "Boy Toy", their own submissive bitch, willing to do anything for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:30 am 
Alien Squid Monster

feliciano182 wrote:
Prophet of Doom wrote:
Why is it that, in the Comedian's latest costume (adopted in the 1970s), it looks like he's wearing a Gimp mask?

It can't be just me that thinks that, in the Comedian's second costume (adopted in the 1970s), it looks like he's wearing a Gimp mask. But why? He's not homosexual and/or into BDSM (presumably). Was it merely to showcase his brutality? But with how delicately Moore and Gibbons detailed practically every aspect of the story and art, with hidden subtexts that you may only notice the fifth read around, it'd be strange if it was only some strangely coincidental resemblance. And if anything, a Gimp mask would imply masochism and submission, not dominance and sadism (which is what the Comedian's character entails).

It was probably meant to represent his sadism.

Though one could say that the mask symbolized how he himself was the government's "Boy Toy", their own submissive bitch, willing to do anything for them.

I agree with this.

Other then protecting his identity it has no use IMO, but I do like it. I can see why they would give him it.. HE is such an interesting character IMO. I can't believe he's one of the main characters but he's not even in the main plot. It's mindblowing.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:18 pm 
Tired of Earth.

So it wasn't to cover up that nasty scar on his face that would give him away in public?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm 

WJK wrote:
So it wasn't to cover up that nasty scar on his face that would give him away in public?

Would this be even a problem ? Wasn't his identity public knowledge ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Lol, no that secret was kept until the end. Only the crime busters knew.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:34 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Right ! Thank you, now I remember.

Still, would it have mattered tha the public knew he was Edward Blake ? And even if it did, he didn't need to pick a gimp mask to hide a scar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm 
New Frontiersman

Not even Rorschach and Dreiberg knew that Blake was The Comedian and they worked with him; investigating what he thought to be a routine homicide, Rorschach expressed genuine surprise when he found Blake's (in)famous costume hidden within that secret closet compartment, and then went on to divulge the revelation to Dan over a can of cold beans.

I think Blake's role as a covert government spook assigned to carry out domestic/international black ops and wet work would have been somewhat compromised if his true identity were public knowledge, and thus readily disclosable to his intended targets... would have proved somewhat awkward for Uncle Sam, too.

We're told that as a young man, Blake swapped his original gaudy harlequin costume for the clearly more robust leather armour after he was stabbed; I assume that having his face subsequently sliced wide open in 'Nam then convinced him to similarly adopt the matching headwear so as prevent further such injury and, of course, to conceal the existing facial disfigurement which was so unmistakably identifiable. Such was the extent of that hideous scar as depicted in the comic (as opposed to the scratch of the movie) that nothing less than a full face covering to conceal it would have sufficed, and Blake's choice of hood accentuates his Keep Back and Do Not Fuck With Me image and would certainly have helped engender the feelings of disconcertment and unease that he sought to instill in his victims... the twisted sonofabitch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:11 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Right ! Thank you, now I remember.

Still, would it have mattered tha the public knew he was Edward Blake ? And even if it did, he didn't need to pick a gimp mask to hide a scar.

it was a huge scar, and one of a kind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm 

WJK wrote:

Yeah but, A GIMP MASK ?

I can think of hundreds of different items that would've been useful if the purpose was to hide the mask.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Yeah but, A GIMP MASK ?

I can think of hundreds of different items that would've been useful if the purpose was to hide the mask.

But he IS the Comedian, remember?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:14 pm 

WJK wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Yeah but, A GIMP MASK ?

But he IS the Comedian, remember?

That IS the point, why does he choose a gimp mask of all things ? It's not just to hide the scar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Well a leather costume needs a leather mask, and a gimp mask is made of leather, that's a basic reason, but I think the real reason is that after Nam, he decided that he was America's Bitch. He felt insignificant next to Dr Manhattan, and the only way to one-up a god, is to submit completely to America, as he thinks that makes him the ultimate American.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 am 
Crimebuster

Indeed...not only to protect his face and identity but to show as user above pointed out, that he´s Amercia´s/the gouvernment´s "Slave".
But I do suspect him to be a bit kinky...I mean he may not be in it like HJ but he does like to beat the shit out of people..I mean such masks are not only used by the submissive, but can also be used by the doms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 am 

LittleComedian wrote:
Indeed...not only to protect his face and identity but to show as user above pointed out, that he´s Amercia´s/the gouvernment´s "Slave".
But I do suspect him to be a bit kinky...I mean he may not be in it like HJ but he does like to beat the shit out of people..I mean such masks are not only used by the submissive, but can also be used by the doms.

Maybe so, I don't know why I had the impression that they were only used by the submissive, too much Pulp Fiction perhaps ?

Post subject: Gimp Pimp
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
New Frontiersman

I personally suspect it to be the character's visual creator, Mr. Gibbons, who's the kinky one!

Check out this panel from his earlier Harlem Heroes strip, appearing in prog 9 of 2000AD comic in 1977:

That mask worn by the character appearing top left (disfigured cyborg assassin Artie Gruber, for the record) to conceal his identity looks awfully familiar. Bondage-bedecked backdoor butchers are obviouly something of a speciality...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:05 pm 

^ :o !

Is it possible that Mr. Gibbons is into that ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:42 am 
Crimebuster

Ah well it might be. I know of some authors or artists that project their likings into their work. Nothing too unusual.
Or he simply likes the design? :lol:

Post subject: Slave Gibbons?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:34 am 
New Frontiersman

Well, WATCHMEN does after all explore the notion that the whole business of dressing up in ridiculous costume and adopting an heroic alter ego persona is very much a kinky sex thing.

Right, Dave?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.