WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
So impotent.

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Watchmen so I'm sorry if I sound like an amateur (which I am), but I have a question about Rorschach which has been bugging me for a while.

I've seen a pattern forming, mostly in blogs and fanfiction that has given the impression that Rorschach hates physical contact and being touched. Sure, he's not the type of person you can run up to and hug, but I can't see anywhere in the graphic novel which portrays Rorschach like this.

When he and Dan shook hands it didn’t seem to have a negative effect on him, the situation may have been a bit awkward but he didn’t appear to loathe the contact.

I know he doesn’t have a great attitude on women, but what I’m asking is: does Rorschach generally hate human/physical contact? Would he jump if you walked past him and accidently brushed his arm?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

First of all, welcome to the forums friend.

Vortex wrote:
does Rorschach generally hate human/physical contact? Would he jump if you walked past him and accidently brushed his arm?

I would say it depends on the type of physical contact, as we've seen, Rorschach is quite capable of violence, maybe not with the technique and dexterity of someone like Ozymandias, but he certainly isn't beyond fighting hand-to-hand, breaking people's fingers or even causing harm by playing dirty (the grapple hook).

However, intimate physical contact is something most likely Rorschach isn't particularly fond of, I can't recall any specific scenes since it's been a long time since I read the comic, but to my general knowledge, Rorschach has always acknowledged sexuality from lens of disgust or revulsion, most certainly an impression he got from his abusive mother, who was a prostitute herself.

Your own example, while not "completely" of a sexual nature (some think Rorschach has deep feelings towards Dreiberg) is indicative of Rorchach's lack of social dexterity, he holds someone in a hand-shake, but doesn't really know when to let go, he knows how it works, but has no sense of timing or of the duration of such an action.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 pm 
New Frontiersman

More to the point: why would anyone want to touch him?

I submit you'd actively avoid the man if you saw him coming, thereby negating the opportunity for even accidental brushing in the manner suggested. This equally applies in both of his presented guises: on the one hand, he's a scarily violent masked outlaw... on the other, a crazy doom-mongering vagrant. In both cases, Rorschach/Kovacs is dirty, unkempt and unhygenic, and stinks bad - real bad!

Rorschach himself initiated the handshake by extending his own palm to Dan, so actively sought out that particluar contact in what is a rare moment approximating normal human social interaction on his part. As regards anything even vaguely intimate, especially that involving the opposite sex, well... recall that the young Kovacs had a hard time even bringing himself to have to '...handle female clothing' when he started out in the garment industry; this, coupled with the earlier account of his childhood dream tells you all you need to know about the character's aversion to 'Dirty feelings, thoughts and stuff'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
So impotent.

Ahh, I see. So, Rorschach doesn’t know how to react to social situations, because he’s so detached from civilization.

Rorschach probably wouldn’t get himself into an intimate situation, but if touched in a way that has a sexual nature, he would retreat from it and may become violent. But if he were just touched accidently, he would ignore it or turn aggressive.

On the other hand Rorschach has no problem with physical contact if it was intended like the handshake. Right?

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

I submit you'd actively avoid the man if you saw him coming, thereby negating the opportunity for even accidental brushing in the manner suggested. This equally applies in both of his presented guises: on the one hand, he's a scarily violent masked outlaw... on the other, a crazy doom-mongering vagrant. In both cases, Rorschach/Kovacs is dirty, unkempt and unhygenic, and stinks bad - real bad!

That’s very true! I don’t know why I forgot about that. :lol:

Thanks for the replies!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:44 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I would say so. Aside from violence, when do we really ever see Rorschach touching someone other then Dan?

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

Post subject: Gentle Touch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
New Frontiersman

I wonder what we'd have seen if he had found little Blair Roche alive in Grice's hovel? If so, I posit that 'Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach' wouldn't have hesitated to scoop her up and carry her off in his arms back to the waiting parents, thereby saving not only the girl but also ultimately himself in the long run as well. Unfortunately, things didn't work out quite so well for all concerned...

Post subject: Re: Gentle Touch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:25 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
I wonder what we'd have seen if he had found little Blair Roche alive in Grice's hovel? If so, I posit that 'Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach' wouldn't have hesitated to scoop her up and carry her off in his arms back to the waiting parents, thereby saving not only the girl but also ultimately himself in the long run as well. Unfortunately, things didn't work out quite so well for all concerned...

If I hadn't found out today Daft Punk was releasing a new album, this post would've made me very sad !

Post subject: Re: Gentle Touch
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 am 
So impotent.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Makes you think, if that did happen it would change everything for the better. I mean, Rorschach would have stayed partners with Dan, Dan may have not quit being Nite Owl so early on, and the Crimebusters may have stuck together longer. You just never know.

Post subject: Touch of Greed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:39 pm 
New Frontiersman

I hereby claim all intellectual property rights associated with the concept of Rorschach having rescued Blair Roche and the implications thereof, so when DC decide to release alternative 'What if...?' titles in their imaginable AFTER WATCHMEN series, they can fuck right off on that score!

Post subject: Re: Touch of Greed
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm 
So impotent.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
I hereby claim all intellectual property rights associated with the concept of Rorschach having rescued Blair Roche and the implications thereof, so when DC decide to release alternative 'What if...?' titles in their imaginable AFTER WATCHMEN series, they can fuck right off on that score!

I'm with you 100% on that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am 
The Watcher

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Wow. Now they have you staking claim to Alan Moore's property as well. The end must really be nigh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Wow. Now they have you staking claim to Alan Moore's property as well. The end must really be nigh.

But...........Writer Of Wrongs IS Alan Moore.

Post subject: Out of Touch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:

The issue being, of course, that it isn't Moore's property, which is what led to this whole facsimile farrago of movie and merchandising and prequels in the first place. And if I were to have any such claim, I'd hope I'd have the integrity to guard it out of respect for the original work as opposed to selling out like just about everyone else who worked with Moore on WATCHMEN seems to have done.

feliciano182 wrote:
But...........Writer Of Wrongs IS Alan Moore.

If I were:
a). I'd have no internet access to allow for emailing (or for this post, come to think about it.)
b). However, If I did have, then it's highly unlikely I'd be using it to email Dave Gibbons!

Post subject: Re: Out of Touch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
I'd have no internet access to allow for emailing (or for this post, come to think about it.)

Why wouldn't Alan Moore have.........internet of all things ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:13 am 
New Frontiersman

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Genuine question - where does it specify in the GN that Rorschach/Kovacs stinks real bad? The only reference to him stinking is when the police capture him and the bottle of cologne has broken in his pocket, IIRC?

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 pm 
New Frontiersman

I.23.2 - Laurie: I don't like the way he smells or that horrible monotone voice or anything.

III.24.8 - just why does Rorschach steal Dan's cologne? I would suggest it was intended simply to disguise his own stench (and not to impress the ladies!) due to the fact that Rorschach's personal hygiene regime is clearly nonexistent (see below) since he wouldn't consider it necessary to waste precious time by conforming to the accepted social niceties of bathing himself or laundering his clothing... why would he?

V.11.1 - housekeeping not a strong point! That pile has gotta reek.

V.11.3 - nice filthy pillow.

V.11.4 - USUAL COMPLaInTS Re HYGIene anD RenT.

V.18.5 - Rorschach stashes his costume - I suspect habitually - behind the overflowing garbage cans in a filthy back alleyway; his coat, his shoes, his 'spotless' (!) gloves.

VII.12.1 - Laurie: ...and did you see that room? I mean, was that gross?

X.6.2 - Rorschach's spare coat is encrusted with ten year old dogs' blood; it's gonna smell just as bad as his workaday version seized upon capture, as Rorschach himself goes on to acknowledge in wider reference to his personal grooming in general:

X.9.2 - Implying something? About coat perhaps? Old. Slightly musty. Apologies. Can't all be fastidious. Can't all keep hands clean.

XII.21.2 - Veidt sums it up all rather nicely with his comment, Rorschach is hardly... how shall we put it... "Without stain"?, both figuratively in terms of his character and literally as regards his cleanliness (lack thereof).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 pm 

^ How can you not be Alan Moore ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 am 
New Frontiersman

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
I.23.2 - Laurie: I don't like the way he smells or that horrible monotone voice or anything.

III.24.8 - just why does Rorschach steal Dan's cologne? I would suggest it was intended simply to disguise his own stench (and not to impress the ladies!) due to the fact that Rorschach's personal hygiene regime is clearly nonexistent (see below) since he wouldn't consider it necessary to waste precious time by conforming to the accepted social niceties of bathing himself or laundering his clothing... why would he?

V.11.1 - housekeeping not a strong point! That pile has gotta reek.

V.11.3 - nice filthy pillow.

V.11.4 - USUAL COMPLaInTS Re HYGIene anD RenT.

V.18.5 - Rorschach stashes his costume - I suspect habitually - behind the overflowing garbage cans in a filthy back alleyway; his coat, his shoes, his 'spotless' (!) gloves.

VII.12.1 - Laurie: ...and did you see that room? I mean, was that gross?

X.6.2 - Rorschach's spare coat is encrusted with ten year old dogs' blood; it's gonna smell just as bad as his workaday version seized upon capture, as Rorschach himself goes on to acknowledge in wider reference to his personal grooming in general:

X.9.2 - Implying something? About coat perhaps? Old. Slightly musty. Apologies. Can't all be fastidious. Can't all keep hands clean.

XII.21.2 - Veidt sums it up all rather nicely with his comment, Rorschach is hardly... how shall we put it... "Without stain"?, both figuratively in terms of his character and literally as regards his cleanliness (lack thereof).

Yup. He stinks!

Add me to the 'Writer of Wrongs is Alan Moore' club. :mrgreen:

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php