WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What is your favorite single Watchmen chapter?
Chapter 1: At Midnight, All the Agents… 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 2: Absent Friends 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Chapter 3: The Judge of All the Earth 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chapter 4: Watchmaker 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
Chapter 5: Fearful Symmetry 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Chapter 6: The Abyss Gazes Also 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Chapter 7: A Brother to Dragons 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 8: Old Ghosts 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 9: The Darkness of Mere Being 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Chapter 10: Two Riders Were Approaching… 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Chapter 11: Look On My Works, Ye Mighty… 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Chapter 12: A Stronger Loving World 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:32 am 
The Watcher

I know its hard, but If you had to just pick one chapter that was your favorite, which would it be? For me its Chapter 6: The Abyss Gazes Also, followed by Chapter 2: Absent Friends as a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:27 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'd have to pick Old Ghosts. You just can't beat Rorschach's jailbreak, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

For me, "The Abyss Gazes Also," because it has two of my favorite moments of the series. From a previous thread:

Episode VI, page 4. A young Walter Kovacs is backhanded by his mother after being intimate with a stranger. He gets called a retard by the man, and his mom tells him she should have had an abortion. I knew then why poor Walter didn't have a chance at a normal life. He's not Rorschach anymore -- he's an abused kid who I deeply feel for.

Episode VI, page 26. Rorschach has opened up to Malcolm Long about why he is no longer "Walter," and after an extraordinary series of flashbacks, explains how "it is not God who kills the children, not fate that butchers them or destiny that feels them to the dogs -- it's us, only us." Then we see the look on Malcolm's face -- one of my favorite panels of the series -- that illustrates 1) Walter is totally f-ed up, 2) Malcolm will never see the world in quite the same way.

Last edited by Burgers N Borscht on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:46 am 
New Frontiersman

watchmaker really open my eyes in the way storytelling can be done.

and to end the quote by Einstien saying he'd rather be a watchmaker really sums up how Jon/Manhattan is like.

Kudos Moore!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:12 am 
New Frontiersman

Well...do I even need to write it out?

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:18 am 
The Watcher

Watchmaker wrote:

Yes. I assume you voted for "Abyss." Remember, that the votes up top don't appear in you post. You don't have to say why, but please write how you voted. I figured it would be a landslide for that chapter since it was a landslide for Rorschach in favorite character.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 am 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Watchmaker wrote:

Yes. I assume you voted for "Abyss." Remember, that the votes up top don't appear in you post. You don't have to say why, but please write how you voted. I figured it would be a landslide for that chapter since it was a landslide for Rorschach in favorite character.

Ah, but you assumed wrong. I thought my user name would be a give away. I voted for Watchmaker, because of the opportunity we get to step into Dr. Manhattan's mind, and because of the amount of symbolism pertaining to huge philosophical and scientific questions.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:06 pm 
The Watcher

Watchmaker wrote:
Ah, but you assumed wrong. I thought my user name would be a give away. I voted for Watchmaker, because of the opportunity we get to step into Dr. Manhattan's mind, and because of the amount of symbolism pertaining to huge philosophical and scientific questions.

How completely dense of me... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
The Watcher

Bump.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:57 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I know its hard, but If you had to just pick one chapter that was your favorite, which would it be? For me its Chapter 6: The Abyss Gazes Also, followed by Chapter 2: Absent Friends as a close second.

I feel almost exactly same way. Chapter 6 is my favorite, with Chapter 2 and Chapter 8 as close 2nd's.

It's honestly SO hard for me. Chapter 6 just hits me the hardest, as Rorschach is my favorite character. Getting inside his mind is just too good. Chapter 2, I just love all the flashbacks and how Jon, Adrian, Dan, and Edward become a bit fleshed-out via the flashbacks. I also REALLY love the Vietnam scene between Jon and Eddie. Those two characters interacting is really something to me.

I picked Chapter 8 because I love ALL of the chapters where the city REALLY starts to come undone. That feeling of panic and general chaos works so well, and I'd love to pick all of those chapters, but I'll stick with 8.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:41 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I love the ending of Fearful Symmetry but, i'd have to say that The Abyss Gazes Also is my favorite chapter!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am 
Close to locating a gluino.

its a close second to "a stronger loving world", but "the abyss..." it is.

its always great when after watching or reading something for a substancial amount of time there is a decent ending.

like the dark knight strikes again, weekend at bernie's II or that lizzie mcguire episode i saw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:35 pm 
New Frontiersman

For me, it's a toss up between The Abyss Gazes Also and The Darkness of Mere Being

It's Moore at his most darkly philosophical.

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:24 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I'm surprised no-one's picked fearful symmetry - that was just behind abyss for me...
for rorschach fans it's so awesome! Oh and the Mars chapter is a favourite in its own right...it could be a single-issue comic on itself its good enough

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 am 
Vigilante

I'd have to vote for chapter one 'At Midnight All the Agents...' I've always had an affection for the beginnings of stories, when we're being introduced to the world and the characters for the first time. Nothing beats Rorschach's grim opening narration, "Dog dead in alleyway...tire tread on burst stomach and so on." That first page really had me hooked.

"Watchmaker" and "The Abyss Gazes Also" are close seconds though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:04 am 
A pretty butterfly.

I'm really surprised at the results of this poll. To me, it seemed like everyone liked "Fearful Symmetry" more than anything else.

Hurm...

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:20 am 

yeah fearful symmetry is often cited as the most visually interesting chapter...
i guess most of us pick the chapter which focuses on our favourite character (!hrum!rorschach!hrum!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm 
The Watcher

Well we only have 17 votes. I get the feeling some feel they can't pick one chapter because they only seee the work as a whole. Comments form anyone who did not vote?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:33 pm 
New Frontiersman

"Watchmaker". It's weird, because it doesn't entirely flow with the rest of the narrative (I worry about how it will affect the film, although I hope it remians very close to the source material). Every time I read that chapter, this inevitable sadness creeps up in me. Jon is so isolated on Mars, and I feel for his character greatly. Knowing what is going to happen to him, knowing how, in his perception, it could not be stopped. I love the question "Who makes the world?"

It's difficult to describe, but that chapter works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 am 

Yeah same. When I first read the GN that was when it hit me that all the acclaim was right...this was deep stuff...