WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What is your favorite single Watchmen chapter?
Chapter 1: At Midnight, All the Agents… 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 2: Absent Friends 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Chapter 3: The Judge of All the Earth 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chapter 4: Watchmaker 25%  25%  [ 17 ]
Chapter 5: Fearful Symmetry 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Chapter 6: The Abyss Gazes Also 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Chapter 7: A Brother to Dragons 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 8: Old Ghosts 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Chapter 9: The Darkness of Mere Being 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Chapter 10: Two Riders Were Approaching… 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Chapter 11: Look On My Works, Ye Mighty… 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Chapter 12: A Stronger Loving World 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 am 
New Frontiersman

floydtheater07 wrote:
"Watchmaker". It's weird, because it doesn't entirely flow with the rest of the narrative (I worry about how it will affect the film, although I hope it remians very close to the source material). Every time I read that chapter, this inevitable sadness creeps up in me. Jon is so isolated on Mars, and I feel for his character greatly. Knowing what is going to happen to him, knowing how, in his perception, it could not be stopped. I love the question "Who makes the world?"

It does feel like a bit of an aside, doesnt it? All this action leading up to a man (willingly) marooned on Mars. But it explains Jon perfectly. He's introspective. He has all this power but he feels powerless over his own life, like he's watching some kind of protracted train train wreck. He knows it's going to end badly, but he's compelled to watch like some kind of voyeur.

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:05 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

dandreiberg wrote:
floydtheater07 wrote:
"Watchmaker". It's weird, because it doesn't entirely flow with the rest of the narrative (I worry about how it will affect the film, although I hope it remians very close to the source material). Every time I read that chapter, this inevitable sadness creeps up in me. Jon is so isolated on Mars, and I feel for his character greatly. Knowing what is going to happen to him, knowing how, in his perception, it could not be stopped. I love the question "Who makes the world?"

It does feel like a bit of an aside, doesnt it? All this action leading up to a man (willingly) marooned on Mars. But it explains Jon perfectly. He's introspective. He has all this power but he feels powerless over his own life, like he's watching some kind of protracted train train wreck. He knows it's going to end badly, but he's compelled to watch like some kind of voyeur.

He said something like that to Laurie, about how he's a puppet who can watch his strings.
I don't have the book nearby so I can't tell you exactly which page it's on. But I know it takes place on Mars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:03 pm 
New Frontiersman

That's Chapter 9 ;)

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/ ... puppet.jpg
hey did you guys ever see 'being john malkovich'?
it had quite a similar theme to this

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:37 am 
Vigilante

I voted Watchmaker as for me it's the most powerful chapter and made a huge impresssion on me when I first read it. Moore does a first class job of explaining Einstein, exploring determinism and the concept of time being simultaneous using a character's back story - amazing! The Abyss Gazes Also is very good but it never made as big an impression as Watchmaker.

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am 
Alien Squid Monster

It's too hard to decide between Watchmaker, Look On My Works, Ye Mighty… and A Stronger Loving World. I like Watchmaker because it has the most character backstory in the whole graphic novel. I like Chapter XI because it explains everything that been happening in the whole GN. And I like Chapter XII because its a great conclusion. So my vote remains blank.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:33 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

"Watchmaker" is my favorite for the sheer virtuosity of storytelling involved, and the way it gives you insight into one of the most un-relatable characters in the book. It could be a stand-alone story more than any other chapter, I think.

"Absent Friends" would be second, if only for the clever use of flashbacks (which actually give more clues to the plot than is first assumed), and the closing narration by Rorschach.

"Fearful Symmetry" also gets a nod for what is possibly the most ironic panel in the book.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:52 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Hello everyone.This is my first reply to here..

1)Watchmaker:It's almost..No,It IS poetic.Remarkable storytelling,excellent work on panels,excellent play with words..Yet it tells so many things about Watchmen's world and reminds us Dr.Manhattan was and in some parts still human.

2)A Brother To Dragons: That TIME's 'ruthless psychological realism' comment really marks this chapter.Until my third re-read I wasn't finding this chaper remarkable but on a more thoughtful look it inevitably leds to a empathy for Dan Dreiberg.

3)A Stronger Loving World: Simply it has many brilliant moments; The Madison Square,the tv monitors,the 'Do It!' thing,the ending...The most unforgettable scenes for Watchmen movie will come from Chapter XII.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:46 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

welcome! some good thoughts there (though i h8 TIME lol)
your vote has put watchmaker into the lead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:09 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I'm fond of A Stronger, Loving World. I find Rorschach's death to be the most moving moment of the novel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 am 
Existence is random.

I have many but if I'd have to choose one it would be Chapter 5: Fearful Symmetry because I was so thrilled when I was reading it.

Other my favorite chapters were:
Chapter 6: The Abyss Gazes Also
Chapter 8: Old Ghosts
Chapter 12: A Stronger Loving World

Post subject: Favorite Chapter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm 
So impotent.

I'm curious to see what everyone else's favorite chapter is
Mine is Chapter 2, the story telling is amazing and the way each character remembers Eddie is amazing
So whats your favorite chapter?

Post subject: Re: Favorite Chapter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

It's very tough to choose between the final two chapters, but since I have a feeling the last chapter will be on everyone's list, I'll go with Chapter XI. Adrian asskicking, explaining his entire plot with the flashbacks, and then of course the chapter's final words and my favorite line:

"I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:48 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62

[NOTE: The topics have since been merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

Anyway, I'd say my favorite chapter is chapter 12. I feel like crying every time I read that chapter in its entirety.

Chapter 4 is a very close second, because it has to be the most beautifully written piece of literature I've ever read.

I'd rank the rest of them in this order: 2, 11, 5, 6, 1, 8, 7, 10, 9, 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:07 pm 
Vigilante

I think XII gets my vote. The first few pages showing the devastation was not just downright awesome, but it really made you notice Gibbon's panel structure and how adaptive it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Chapter II. Probably the most well-constructed chapter in the novel, and could easily serve as it's own short story.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am 
So impotent.

It's so hard to choose...

"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being a comedian is the only thing that makes sense."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:27 pm 
Minuteman

I personally liked Chapter VII the best because it is the time Laurie and Dan get into their costumes and save people. It gave me a chance to see Archie in action. Next to that I really enjoyed Chapter VI mainly because we get to see what drove Rorschach to becoming a masked hero.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:51 am 
Crimebuster

No contest. The prison break was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Chapter two with chapter six being a close second. Can't beat Blake's funeral/Rorschach's eulogy. A fitting send off. Plus, that chapter introduced Sally, favorite character.