WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
So impotent.

Rorschach's identity is driven by his mask and his role as a superhero. This is driven by the people of the watchmen universe. My question then is, how is our own concept of identity shaped by those around us, and what do we do to change this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:33 pm 
So impotent.

Please do reply with any thoughts or ideas as this is part of a crowd sourcing assignment for a college class

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

It would help if you could expand your idea and provide a stronger connection to the text. Perhaps you could provide a few examples of the answers you're looking for?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:59 pm 
So impotent.

Well, one example is how he wears platform shoes to make himself seem taller. He does this not because it is practical but because he feels small and insecure and so he must alter his appearance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

organiclad wrote:
Well, one example is how he wears platform shoes to make himself seem taller. He does this not because it is practical but because he feels small and insecure and so he must alter his appearance.

One would need to be physically imposing to intimidate criminals though, Rorschach wasn't going to do any of that with his current height.

Also, welcome to the forums !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:09 pm 
So impotent.

So if Rorschach does that? What do we do that has a similar effect and most importantly why?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I direct you to the old saying, "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:31 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

organiclad wrote:
My question then is, how is our own concept of identity shaped by those around us, and what do we do to change this?

Do you want to know how our *concept* of identity is shaped by those around us or our identities themselves? Anyway, we can't and I think it's interesting that you seem to think it's a thing that should be changed to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
organiclad wrote:
My question then is, how is our own concept of identity shaped by those around us, and what do we do to change this?

Do you want to know how our *concept* of identity is shaped by those around us or our identities themselves? Anyway, we can't and I think it's interesting that you seem to think it's a thing that should be changed to begin with.

I think you're misunderstanding, he's asking for the influence and effect that masked individuals have on perceiving our own identity.

We already know what happens to the concept of identity in a world where comic books exist, we glamourize our own exploits and compare them to those of our esteemed characters, we create fictional alter-egos to make up stories of our own that bear clear similarities to source material, or we just put masks and actually "battle crime" in our neighborhoods, much like Mr. Xtreme, Thanatos or Ragensi.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
organiclad wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding, he's asking for the influence and effect that masked individuals have on perceiving our own identity.

I don't think I did misunderstand. If that's what they were trying to communicate, they were being really vague about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
I don't think I did misunderstand. If that's what they were trying to communicate, they were being really vague about it.

I don't think "they" did, who would want identity to remain unchanged ? It seems clear to me he was asking HOW such a process would happen, at least if having masked vigilantes had any effect on our society...........which clearly would.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I don't think "they" did, who would want identity to remain unchanged ? It seems clear to me he was asking HOW such a process would happen, at least if having masked vigilantes had any effect on our society...........which clearly would.

...Why are you so antagonistic?

And why put "they" in quotes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
...Why are you so antagonistic?

I'm not being antagonistic at all, I just think his questions were pretty clear.

Godziller66 wrote:
And why put "they" in quotes?

Because I didn't understand why you were saying they in the first place, and I didn't want to derail the discussion by asking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:13 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Because I didn't understand why you were saying they in the first place, and I didn't want to derail the discussion by asking.

That's because you're not a native English speaker. I'm not being a jack-ass, that's legitimately why. "They" can be used as a gender neutral pro-noun, even when referring to just one person. I used it since I don't know whether the original poster is a man or a woman.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
That's because you're not a native English speaker. I'm not being a jack-ass, that's legitimately why. "They" can be used as a gender neutral pro-noun, even when referring to just one person. I used it since I don't know whether the original poster is a man or a woman.

I'll remember that then.............sounds a little awkward though :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I'll remember that then.............sounds a little awkward though :lol:

It does, but it is grammatically correct and I think it's better than accidentally referring to someone by the wrong gender.