WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which version?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:36 am 
Minuteman

I read The Watchmen around 10 years ago and no longer have the book, the movie trailer has inspired me to refresh my memory. Which version should I pick up? The regular TPB or the Aboslute Version? I would wait and buy the new one they are bringing out in October, but that is too far away.

Post subject: Re: Which version?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:43 am 
Tired of Earth.

Charming style, Noir.

For my part, I don't think you can go wrong with the plain ol' TPB. The Absolute Edition is great, don't get me wrong, but the TPB is nothing to spit at, either.

In the end, Watchmen is Watchmen. A smaller price tag and the absence of a hardcover doesn't change the fact that it's still genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:52 am 
Minuteman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Charming style, Noir.

For my part, I don't think you can go wrong with the plain ol' TPB. The Absolute Edition is great, don't get me wrong, but the TPB is nothing to spit at, either.

In the end, Watchmen is Watchmen. A smaller price tag and the absence of a hardcover doesn't change the fact that it's still genius.

Thanks, I try. But "So Impotent" lingering under my name kind of ruins the attempt, lol. You are right with a smaller price tag and no hardcover does not change what is on the pages, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:01 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I've got both the TPB and Absolute, and I strongly recommend the TPB if you just want to read the book. It's cheaper and a lot more portable. The Absolute is an absolutely breathtaking volume, but I got it mainly for the art blow-ups and the backup "making of" material; trying to read it in the normal way is a bit cumbersome unless you can set it down on a large table or something. You certainly can't take it with you on the bus, that's for sure...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:38 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

tpb the absolute eidition is too hefty.... although a nice thing to have

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:58 am 
Minuteman

Yeah I have decided to just buy the TPB. I think my support will be shown well enough when I burn a $100+ hole in my pocket for the October edition DC is set to release.

I went to my local comic store today to buy this book, unfortunately they have sold out. Although it's a good thing that more people are getting into it, it is a bit disappointing due to this long week for waiting to get paid to buy it has made me feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas, only to receive a "Santa is a bit busy this year and will give you your presents late next week". :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 am 
Vigilante

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

If I were to purchase the Watchmen novel... what is the best and most complete version you recomend? A picture of it would be helpful as well.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: Between the click of the light and the start of the dream
A.G. wrote:

If I were to purchase the Watchmen novel... what is the best and most complete version you recomend? A picture of it would be helpful as well.

Thank you.

As stated above, if you just want to read the novel the regular paperback is fine.
More than fine. It's what just about everyone has read when they talk about reading Watchmen so you'll be on the same page. It's also what Moore and Gibbons intended one to read when one reads Watchmen. It's original and the real deal.

Not sure what you mean by complete but there is no edition (so far) with actual new story (at least I have not heard of one and I'm sure such a thing would have become the standard edition had it existed- that or become legend).

If you want special features the Absolute edition has 'em. There is stuff on the creative process and concept art and that sort of making of stuff but the story is the same. I know you are not a comic fan and I would also hesitate to suggest you spend close to $100 on a book you may not even be able to get through.

Here is Amazon page for regular edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239664312&sr=8-1

Here is Absolute edition. Note the look inside feature. Your local book or comic shop may also have a copy you can look at. I find this the best way if you can manage it but, to be frank, I wouldn't use this as a first time reading edition. The Absolute is really for people who know the love the graphic novel and so will be happy to spend hunk of money and drag around massive tome for love.

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Absolute-Alan-Moore/dp/1401207138/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239664312&sr=8-2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:07 am 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: Between the click of the light and the start of the dream
People Must Be Told. wrote:
Minutemarch wrote:
It's also what Moore and Gibbons intended one to read when one reads Watchmen. It's original and the real deal.

That would actually be the twelve issue magazine run spread over the course of fourteen months, then.

One can read the graphic novel like that, if they wish, or track down the singles but I was referring to content rather than format.
I assume you are not shocked to learn this though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:05 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Before the movie came out, another hardback version of the novel came out:

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moo ... 873&sr=1-1

How does this version differ from the Absolute Edition in terms of quality?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:51 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

joshsirjoshules wrote:
Before the movie came out, another hardback version of the novel came out:

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moo ... 873&sr=1-1

How does this version differ from the Absolute Edition in terms of quality?

Same recolored graphics, but smaller.