WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:06 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

It seems like all of the 'masks' in Watchmen were localized in Manhattan. I don't remember if it ever said anything about masked vigilantes in other parts of the world, but surely there would be, somewhere. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm 
New Frontiersman

Manhattan and SSII worked DC during the pre Keene protests along with The Comedian's extensive overseas exploits.

Just count up how many characters from The Big Two of DC and Marvel patrol NYC by default... I guess this is a reflection. Aren't comics superheroes by and large an American phenomenon anyway, barring the odd exception?

What I have pondered, though: just how many test subjects (misguided volunteers and those perhaps not so willing) were needlessly vaporised over the years by both the USSR and the US to try and replicate copies of Doc M, I wonder?

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:27 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Manhattan and SSII worked DC during the pre Keene protests, not withstanding The Comedian's extensive overseas exploits.

Just count up how many heroes from The Big Two of DC and Marvel patrol NYC by default... I guess this is a reflection.

What I have pondered, though: just how many test subjects (misguided volunteers and those perhaps not so willing) were needlessly vaporised over the years by both the USSR and the US to try and produce copies of Doc M, I wonder?

Yeah, I thought of that too. You would think Russia would have spent a lot of time trying to create their own Dr. Manhattan... or Dr. Chernobyl, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:47 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

If i remember correctly Mothman is from conneticut, and captain Axis is probably from germany or Italy anywhere that held the axis powers title.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 pm 
Tired of Earth.

From various installments of "Under the Hood"...

Hooded Justice first appeared in Queens, NY, though he may have been born German.

Nite Owl I started in Manhattan, but was born in Montana.

Mothman came from Connecticut, Dollar Bill came from Kansas, Cpt. Metropolis was Canadian, Comedian was another New Yorker... ah, here it is. Page "8" of the Chapter II supplemental: "Within twelve months of Hooded Justice's dramatic entrance into the public consciousness, there were at least seven other costumed vigilantes operating on or around America's West Coast."

From this, we can assume that the superhero fad had spread throughout America. I'm sure that the seven on the West Coast had a similar, fascinating story similar to that of the Minutemen, though I doubt that it led to anything as spectacular as New York's annihilation.

There's also Captain Axis to consider. I find it quite possible that Axis was a superhero conceived by Germany or Japan in the '40s. This would mean that the Axis' hero was the Allies' villain, which opens up quite a few thematic possibilities.

Post subject: Loss of Direction
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 am 
New Frontiersman

Quote:
Within twelve months of Hooded Justice's dramatic entrance into the public consciousness, there were at least seven other costumed vigilantes operating on or around America's West Coast.

Y'know, the way that's written only to then be followed by the "There was..." list of costumed vigilantes who clearly operated on or around America's East coast makes me think this is a typo, in which case one for the Plot Holes, Mistakes and General Goofs thread?

Unless Moore did it deliberately to give the illusion that it was Hollis himself who fucked up in his book.
In which case it's ironic and deconstructionist. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:44 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Cpt. Metropolis was Canadian

Nah. He was a retired lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:04 am 
A brother to dragons.

Vynson wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Cpt. Metropolis was Canadian

Nah. He was a retired lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corp.

Hollis Mason in Under the Hood wrote:
Captain Metropolis was there, his paunch starting to show despite a strict regimen of Canadian Air Force exercises.

That's a tricky line, taken by itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:28 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Ahhh. I see.

No, the Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise routines are a famous workout program of calisthenics thought to be scientifically designed for maximum effienciency.

And I'm sure Nellie wasn't getting his usual workout after Hooded Justice went missing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 pm 
Crimebuster

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

In the Watchmen universe, were masked vigilantes a phenomenon exclusively in the US or did I miss or forgot something that had mentioned that costumed crime-fighting spread to other places? I have a funny suspicion that Hollis mentioned something about it in Under The Hood, but I have a terrible memory so most probably not. :lol:

Thanks in advance for any of your answers.

Post subject: Non-New York Vigilantes?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
So impotent.

Were there any Vigilantes operating outside of New York besides the Comedian and Dr. Manhattan in Vietnam? All of the ones we've seen seem to be only in New York, but since Vigilantism was legal for some time, wouldn't there have been a possible network of vigilantes across the country?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:54 pm 
Tired of Earth.

isn't it referenced that there were other vigilantes in other states? it is stated that only the "government-sponsored weirdos" were still active, implying there were more than the comedian and dr. manhattan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

There probably were, but much like in Marvel and DC's respective universe's we mainly only get big cities because that's the place that most crime happens and everybody would be familiar with the areas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 am 
New Frontiersman

This very subject has been considered 'round these here parts before...

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

I actually thought this topic had been covered... I was just too lazy to search