WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rorschach
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 am 
Vigilante

RedAngel wrote:
He views the masks as an elite group dedicated to upholding justice, none of the other masks actually like him, but he identifies with their cause... or what he precieves their cause to be.

Now that's an interesting point. In that sense, that fits in with Dan's description of wanting to be part of a "knights of the round table". Maybe that was why they got on, both linked by a desire for brotherhood?

Quote:
Laurie is definitely a whore, as her only job for 10 years or so is to screw Manhattan.

Yes, though I don't think she's in it for the money - she and Jon have drifted into it, as they drift into everything in their lives. There are whole essays to be written on that doomed relationship. Not that that is likely to make any difference to Rorschach. Though maybe he would excuse it as work "in her country's service"? ;)

I do wonder if Rorschach's subsequent softening towards Laurie is partly due to her changed situation? Moving from "prostitute" back to vigilante, however much he disapproves of her costume. That would also tie in with the whole "brotherhood" angle: he may not approve of her, but having resumed her identity as Silk Spectre, he at least feels a sense of kinship that wasn't there while she was in "retirement".

I would be interested to know what Rorschach would have made of Laurie's subsequent decision to reject Silk Spectre and restyle herself after the Comedian. A move he would have approved of?

Interesting that, while Rorschach references himself and the Comedian as being the ones who are compelled to be vigilantes, both Dan and Laurie fall into that camp. Upon retiring, both became things that they hated: neither has any meaning to their life, except sitting round and moping. Even when they get together, all they do is mope as a pair, until they return to the lifestyle. It's an admission that they can't get by without their alter egos. Dan needs Nite Owl to hide behind just as much as Kovacs needs Rorscach, and Laurie - well, Laurie doesn't have an alter ego, she doesn't exist except as a vigilante. It's the only thing she can actually do, however reluctant she is to admit it. And of course, having come out of retirement they quickly demonstrate that they feel more affinity to "their fraternity" than to the society they're nominally meant to protect - even to the point where they have to give up their identities as Laurie and Dan in order to save Rorschach. Not that they like themselves as Laurie and Dan, any more than Rorschach likes himself as Kovacs.

Rorschach may not approve of their decision to compromise with Veidt, but I think - deep down - he'd at least be pleased that they'd finally come clean with themselves about their roles as Masks.

Minutemarch wrote:
I am very curious to know what it would take to get Blake off Rorschach's pedestal if anything.

Now that's a good question. I suspect nothing - Rorschach could probably have written off almost any unacceptable detail as a smear. He's certainly aware enough of bias in the media. But then, we don't get any of his opinions about the Comedian after Chapter VI, so we never find out what he thought when he realised Blake had compromised, and failed to blow Veidt's plan after discovering it. Would that have knocked the Comedian off Rorschach's pedestal? Is that why he sticks so solidly to his guns, to go the extra mile his hero couldn't? Or does he see the necessity to blow the plan as a way of avenging Blake who was - after all - murdered to ensure his silence? Or see Blake as a martyr who's example he wishes to follow?

Quote:
Plus, story wise, I think that would kinda suck.

Quote:
Oh come on, you know he just wants to go to all the smart parties.
"Hurm. Wanna dance?"

Look at the evidence. Works in the clothing industry. A taste in unusual fabrics. The carefully unbuttoned epaullette. The elevator shoes. Hat always at a jaunty angle... well, maybe not the jaunty angle. The man's clearly a fashion victim. 8-)

Quote:
I think he didn't have much respect for Hollis either. He would see him as a traitor for writing that book and so would not believe anything he said. And, on balance, traitor to their cause is way worse than an attempted rapist to Rorschach.

Back to the brotherhood angle, as well. Plus, Hollis is the only Vigilante to retire with any degree of success (albeit not much!). I'm not sure Rorschach would have approved of voluntary retirement any more than the forced retirement of the Keene Act.

Quote:
See, I think Rorschach was glad to see his mother go not because she was a prostitute but because she was cruel to him. He was willing to overlook the land ladies activities when he saw she was protecting her children from that life.

Ah, good point.

Quote:
Not sure how would feel about Sally in that regard. Calling her a prostitute is a but harsh considering she wasn't one but maybe he sees her as a sell out of some sort.

Profiteering, perhaps - after all, she used her career as a Mask for commercial ends. In that sense, he'd class her in with Veidt and Hollis.

Quote:
(is guarded. I'm twitching here. Insanely protective of Sally. You may have found my blind spot).

Oops. I'll back off before you go Eddie Blake on me.

I's OK - I'm the same with Laurie. Er, does it show?

Quote:
I don't think he's the vane sort myself - more man's man than pretty boy.

And Laurie throws her drink in his face - though we never got to see how far his paternal affection could weigh against his temper, thanks to Jon's swift intervention. Maybe the repeated face attacks were more to do with linking the various events thematically, rather than passing comment on the Comedian's vanity?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: Between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
I suspect nothing - Rorschach could probably have written off almost any unacceptable detail as a smear. He's certainly aware enough of bias in the media. But then, we don't get any of his opinions about the Comedian after Chapter VI, so we never find out what he thought when he realised Blake had compromised, and failed to blow Veidt's plan after discovering it. Would that have knocked the Comedian off Rorschach's pedestal? Is that why he sticks so solidly to his guns, to go the extra mile his hero couldn't? Or does he see the necessity to blow the plan as a way of avenging Blake who was - after all - murdered to ensure his silence? Or see Blake as a martyr who's example he wishes to follow?

All of those are good suggestions. It's possible he understood why Blake didn't fight back. He was aware of his fatalistic attitude since the Crimebuster's meeting.
I'm not sure he would approve but he would understand and he did give Blake leeway he wouldn't give others so maybe.
I mean at that meeting Blake says the masks were wasting their time yet still he carries on. I think the main points winner for Blake was the fact he also wasn't stopped by the Keane Act and so was OK by Rorschach. He wasn't alone.

So I think Blake is the martyr to Rorschach. The joke he tells after Blake's death is a clue. Blake was still because he was to sad (not best word but Hurm) to do what he normally did which was be the Comedian.

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure how would feel about Sally in that regard. Calling her a prostitute is a but harsh considering she wasn't one but maybe he sees her as a sell out of some sort.

Profiteering, perhaps - after all, she used her career as a Mask for commercial ends. In that sense, he'd class her in with Veidt and Hollis

Yeah, that's the word!

Quote:
Quote:
(is guarded. I'm twitching here. Insanely protective of Sally. You may have found my blind spot).

Oops. I'll back off before you go Eddie Blake on me.

Hey, you're just lucky I haven't had breakfast yet cupcake! *grins in not very oh-so-scary fashion*

Quote:
I's OK - I'm the same with Laurie. Er, does it show?

Yeah, it shows. I admire that. Glad Laurie has a protector. Don't ever let go of that flag. *Salutes*

Quote:
And Laurie throws her drink in his face - though we never got to see how far his paternal affection could weigh against his temper, thanks to Jon's swift intervention. Maybe the repeated face attacks were more to do with linking the various events thematically, rather than passing comment on the Comedian's vanity?

I think it has more to do with the fact the rest of him is covered in fabric and, later, amour and the face is a good target if your opponent is stronger than you because it's sensitive and that's where the eyes are so people will draw back if you go for the face. It's a popular target for the ladies and it's ladies that he's getting scratched and bottled by.
Never thought of the theatrical angle but it's a good point.

Someone like Veidt may be all "OMG my face! I had a cover shoot with Vogue this afternoon. Alexander the great didn't have a scar like this!" *Dies* Blake was just shocked and in some measure of pain which he clearly doesn't like too much.

It's just Blake gets so angry about it some might think it was his looks he was concerned about especially as he wears a full mask after Vietnam.
But that was to hide a distinctive scar so there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 am 
Vigilante

Quote:
I mean at that meeting Blake says the masks were wasting their time yet still he carries on.

Well, he thought they were focussing on the wrong problems. I always assumed that was why he moved over to working for the government: so he could actually fight in the Cold War, feel like he was doing something. That said, it might be just that it paid better. Ironically, it seems that the Comedian's work for the government is something that Rorschach held in great esteem.

That said, I've never quite worked out whether the Comedian is down on what the Masks do, or just on their attitude. He doesn't actually seem to mind them - just the jumped up attitude of Captain Metropolis and Veidt, that somehow they can change the world. That sort of ties in with our earlier discussion re: Laurie not being able to see the good that the Masks do. Put in the grand scheme of things, they're irrelevant - they can't stop Nuclear war, solve world hunger, ever hope to eliminate the kind of societal problems that Captain Metropolis had in mind (including, er, Black Unrest and Anti-War Demos, it seems). When they retire, they won't have fundamentally changed the world. But they can protect this individual, punish that criminal.

Rorschach understands that - he's under no illusion that he can save the world. But he'll do what he can while he still has time. He's not in it for the ink or the reputation. I think the Comedian would have respected that: not taking yourself too seriously.

Quote:
Hey, you're just lucky I haven't had breakfast yet cupcake! *grins in not very oh-so-scary fashion*

Phew. I can put the glass down. Er, hang on:

Quote:
it's ladies that he's getting scratched and bottled by.

Well, when Veidt murders the Comedian, he starts with the face. I mean, he's the ultimate man's man, right?

Quote:
Yeah, it shows. I admire that. Glad Laurie has a protector. Don't ever let go of that flag. *Salutes*

*Returns salute, wipes tear from eye*

Quote:
It's just Blake gets so angry about it some might think it was his looks he was concerned about especially as he wears a full mask after Vietnam.
But that was to hide a distinctive scar so there.

Well, he would be jolly glad of that mask in the Keene Riots - it kept him from getting a third drinks receptacle to his unprotected face. Not that a drinks can would do much, but hey the guy just can't cut a break, can he?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Quote:
Well, he thought they were focussing on the wrong problems.

It wasn't just that they were focusing on the wrong problems, to Blake, it was that they didn't even know what the "right" problems were. Because of his job he was privy to information they weren't and he was also able to grasp the big picture.

I think he may have gone to the Crimebuster's meeting, not just to tell them they were wasting their time, but to give them was he saw as the right perspective so that maybe, armed with the new information, they might have been able to direct their energies to the new problems the world was facing.

I don't think he went to remove their hope but to enlist their help without asking them for a thing.

Eventually, even with all his contacts, Blake found it was all too big but in 1966 he may have still had hope. This was before his falling out with Dr Manhattan in Vietnam and Blake was well aware The Doc was there and listening. He likely had the hope that the only man in the room who really could make a difference, would.

Quote:
I always assumed that was why he moved over to working for the government: so he could actually fight in the Cold War, feel like he was doing something. That said, it might be just that it paid better. Ironically, it seems that the Comedian's work for the government is something that Rorschach held in great esteem.

Me to. The government job would allow him to take on the bigger issues. I'm sure he appreciated the extra pay but nothing we learn about him suggests this is a primary motivator.
Rorschach may have been a tacit supported of the Nixon government and it's strong stance against communism. Perhaps he saw some of his views matched those of the government and saw them as an employer worthy of Blake's loyalty.
And, again, Blake's job was very much like the one Rorschach invented for his father, working and fighting for his country and a president he admired (in Daddy's case, Truman).

Quote:
That said, I've never quite worked out whether the Comedian is down on what the Masks do, or just on their attitude. He doesn't actually seem to mind them - just the jumped up attitude of Captain Metropolis and Veidt, that somehow they can change the world. That sort of ties in with our earlier discussion re: Laurie not being able to see the good that the Masks do. Put in the grand scheme of things, they're irrelevant - they can't stop Nuclear war, solve world hunger, ever hope to eliminate the kind of societal problems that Captain Metropolis had in mind (including, er, Black Unrest and Anti-War Demos, it seems). When they retire, they won't have fundamentally changed the world. But they can protect this individual, punish that criminal.

Very good question. I don't think he minds them at all despite his checkered past with them. They have been a part of his life since he was sixteen and he never really left them in 45 years, philosophically at least. They have the desire to make the world better and they do make a difference in their city. He never criticises this. I'm sure he respects it. He is also unashamed to fight along side them. He questions their focus, their scope, but never their motivations.

I think his problem with the masks is they didn't change focus when he did. When he started with them they were all had a similar scope but even then pretty much the first thing we see Eddie say (in response to HJ saying "I'd rather be back on the street doing my job") is "Streets nothing! Why don't Uncle Sammy get us into Europe where the action is".

Even here he has a global focus. Young Eddie is an idealist. He wants to make big changes, not just clean up one city but the world. He wants to be in the thick of it. This is simply not the focus of the other masks and the frustrated and excited kid in 1940 isn't that far from the bitter and frustrated man 1966 facing different people with the same attitudes and focus.

In 1941 or 2 he goes to war. He sees a hell of a lot. War is not what he thinks it's going to be. Like most soldiers of WW2 he learns too much.

He goes to Vietnam, by now he knows what to expect of war. He is paired with Dr Manhattan.
He learns too much. The idealist has become a cynic.

He is on a government mission and looks out the window of a blimp.
He learns too much. The cynic is overcome with emotion.

Edward Blake doesn't disapprove of the others masks. He just has never had the same focus. While they stayed in New York he was living horrors and glory in Europe and beyond, learning about the worst of human nature and the true scope of the worlds problems.

The other masks carried New York on their shoulders. Blake carried the world.
He saw them fuss over their small burden and snorted in derision as you may do if you have tuberculosis and someone complains to you about a head cold. Only he could see they all had TB.

You don't hate them but you feel more alone because you know they just don't get it. They don't see your struggle so they can't help. They are too worried about their cold and so you shout "The world is dying, we all have tuberculosis! YOU have tuberculosis" and they sniff into their hankies and watch you go, resolving to buy some aspirin on the way home. Nothing changes. You continue carry your burden alone.
There may be an antibiotic but the only man who remembers where it is doesn't care and has run away.

Quote:
Rorschach understands that - he's under no illusion that he can save the world. But he'll do what he can while he still has time. He's not in it for the ink or the reputation. I think the Comedian would have respected that: not taking yourself too seriously.

I agree with that. I do think the Comedian would have respect a few things about Rorschach and, just maybe, he would have finally met, face to face, someone who understood him (besides Sally who understood him a little) and felt a little less lonely.
Quote:
Phew. I can put the glass down. Er, hang on:

OMG, You had a glass? *faints*

Quote:
Well, when Veidt murders the Comedian, he starts with the face. I mean, he's the ultimate man's man, right?

:o You are trying to kill me now, aren't you.
Quote:
Well, he would be jolly glad of that mask in the Keene Riots - it kept him from getting a third drinks receptacle to his unprotected face. Not that a drinks can would do much, but hey the guy just can't cut a break, can he?

I think it would go something like:
"Hey, if you are gonna chuck booze in my face at least make it top shelf!"

Why do our discussions always turn into page-swallowing giant posts of giantness, Blue? I try to be brief!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 am 
Vigilante

Minutemarch wrote:
Why do our discussions always turn into page-swallowing giant posts of giantness, Blue? I try to be brief!

Well, hope you get as much from them as I do! Personally, I blame Alan Moore for creating such rich and interesting source material. And you for raising lots of interesting points. Anyway, we've slightly drifted off Rorschach here and onto Blake - maybe we should be resurrecting the "The Comedian: A Hero?" thread...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:20 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

blue_meanie wrote:
Minutemarch wrote:

Well, hope you get as much from them as I do! Personally, I blame Alan Moore for creating such rich and interesting source material. And you for raising lots of interesting points. Anyway, we've slightly drifted off Rorschach here and onto Blake - maybe we should be resurrecting the "The Comedian: A Hero?" thread...

Oh, I do! So much fun it should be illegal and out of my price range.
Darn that pesky Mr Moore! Someone should confiscate his pencils.
Quote:
Anyway, we've slightly drifted off Rorschach here and onto Blake

Whoops, sorry. :oops:
Quote:
- maybe we should be resurrecting the "The Comedian: A Hero?" thread...

I'd love to (didn't know there was one!) but it feels like such a self-serving thing if I do it!

Rorschach. Yes, he had been neglected here though we did start off talking about his relationship with Blake. Hmmm, that explains it.

Rorschach's relationships with anyone are fascinating because of his prickly and black-and-white nature. I notice he's very down on Dan while he is in retirement but quick to forgive him and beck back into things when Nite Owl comes back.
I don't want to say he doesn't hold a grudge but he does give second chances as long as you do are doing what he can respect and approve of.
Maybe it was simply his relationship was with Nite Owl and not Dan?

If we was in a relationship (not suggesting with Dan) I expect he would be very emotionally controlling too.
"No nookie unless you stop being whiny and get out there and fight crime!"
Well, he may not say that but in effect...
Or maybe I'm mad and it's 7am and raining and something about coffee.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:15 pm 
Minuteman

First: Thanks for that very interesting discussion. I realy enjoy it.

blue_meanie wrote:
I've often wondered if Rorschach saw the Comedian as a kind of father figure. Rorschach likes to think his own father worked for the government, and sees the Comedian as a Patriot, dying in his Country's Service. He may even have literally believed (or wanted to believe) that the Comedian was his father - the Comedian was just about old enough. In any case, the Comedian gives Rorschach something to aspire to - something he sorely lacks.

Oh, that is a facinating idea, never thought about this bevore, but it make sense. It could exlpain an irrittating fact druring Ror visited Veid to warn him. At Chap. 1 Page 16, Panel 9 you can read, that he describes Veid at a better class of person. At as far as we all could know at this point of the story, it is true, but Rorschach isn't known for using gentle therms to discribe ohters.
And than, at Page 17, Panel 2 and 3 you can see, that Ror has taking his hat of and holdt it in a respectfull manner in front of his chest. It seems that he has respect for the social things Veid do. But than blame Veid Blake to be "practically a Nazi" After that Rorschach insults him as a prostitute. And he said: "If that makes him a Nazi, you might as well call ma a Nazi to."
Possible that Rorschach is right winges enough that it doesn't bother him so much to be a Nazi (But what he says implies that he isn't one at all) ((And by the way - Veids thougtfull "Hm" suggests, that that is exactly was he ih thinking about Rorschach)).

But I think the father-figure theory is a better explanation. Ror wants to be like his father. He idolised him, and Ror, the brilliant investigator, seems never try to find out who his father realy was, was had happend to him, or why he never tries to make contact with his son. The reason is obviously, he just don't care. No need to be an brilliant investigator to see that this is the the most probable answer.
Rorschach prefers to be blind in that point. He realy won't find out that the only person who possibly could love him is a lousy bastard who won't give anythig for his pregnant wife and his unborn son.

I think he idolised Blake in the same way, he want to be like him - or want to be what he sees in him - someone who sood op for his country, never let anybody retire him, never cashed on his reputation.

As you are brilliant investigators too, you probably had find out, that english is not my native language. If you find some words or sentences that don't make any sens - or more worse - reminds you on dog hads, split into half. Please forgive me and say that you only have seen some pretty butterflies.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:05 pm 
Vigilante

Pepper Cube wrote:
First: Thanks for that very interesting discussion. I realy enjoy it.

blue_meanie wrote:
I've often wondered if Rorschach saw the Comedian as a kind of father figure. Rorschach likes to think his own father worked for the government, and sees the Comedian as a Patriot, dying in his Country's Service. He may even have literally believed (or wanted to believe) that the Comedian was his father - the Comedian was just about old enough. In any case, the Comedian gives Rorschach something to aspire to - something he sorely lacks.

That makes sense in a way, when he said that the city could've been good like his father. I'm guessing he was paranoid or something but doesn't want to admit it when he's talking to Dan. It could've been true because the part in the book when he just leaves Moloch's house he wrote a peice of The Comedian, he was pretty much saying "he was a good man, and understood everything." But hey, thats just my guess.

"They got writers, and scientists on this island with a giant squid! They didn't even invite me! They're having a bloody party! They have hookers! What the fuck Adrian, you bastard! Next time you visit me, you're getting a can of whoop ass!"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:26 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I think that part of him removing his mask at the end was perhaps also to show that Rorschach admits that some of Walter is still left and that he's still a person.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:09 am 
Vigilante

Oe thing I don't reall get about the ending is that when Rorschach leaves because he wants to tell everybody it was Viedt who did this, how was he gonna get back? He can't take the owlship because it was still being repaired, also he doesn't know how to fly it. He can't walk back because he probably would've died from forstbite. Also he dropped off his joural at the post office saying that it was Viedt so, why would he need to go back?

"They got writers, and scientists on this island with a giant squid! They didn't even invite me! They're having a bloody party! They have hookers! What the fuck Adrian, you bastard! Next time you visit me, you're getting a can of whoop ass!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
Tired of Earth.

SilkOwl wrote:
Oe thing I don't reall get about the ending is that when Rorschach leaves because he wants to tell everybody it was Viedt who did this, how was he gonna get back? He can't take the owlship because it was still being repaired, also he doesn't know how to fly it. He can't walk back because he probably would've died from forstbite. Also he dropped off his joural at the post office saying that it was Viedt so, why would he need to go back?

From the moment that he decided to blow the lid off Veidt's scheme, he may as well have ended his sentences with "...or die trying," because I think that's exactly what he was always planning to do. He dropped off the journal at the New Frontiersman because he knew -- just as the Comedian did -- that he wasn't going to take on Veidt and live to tell about it.

But to answer your questions, that wasn't enough for Rorschach. He could only ever be satisfied if he spent every breath he had trying to punish what he thought was evil. Refusing to compromise or give up, right until he died trying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:06 am 
Crimebuster

I agree with so many replies. Rorschach's part was done. He knew that. He fell out of place. He had to do what he felt was right. He had to tell the truth. Doc's only option of stopping him was to kill him. "Violent lives ending violently."

.']['.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:26 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

J. Kovacs wrote:
I agree with so many replies. Rorschach's part was done. He knew that. He fell out of place. He had to do what he felt was right. He had to tell the truth. Doc's only option of stopping him was to kill him. "Violent lives ending violently."

I always that thought that he asked Manhattan to kill him because he couldn't take it that deep inside his heart he felt that Veidt was right, it would've meant exactly to compromise his beliefs.

By the way, silly question, but what does Rorschach eat when he and Dan land on Antarctica? if i'm not wrong it was a small wrap with an "S" or a "5" marked on it, what was that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 pm 
Tired of Earth.

That would be a Sweet Chariot sugar cube, feliciano. Rorschach chews on them throughout the story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:11 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
That would be a Sweet Chariot sugar cube, feliciano. Rorschach chews on them throughout the story.

Really ? it's been a long time since i read the comic, must do so again 8-)

Is there any secret hidden meaning or reference in Rorschach eating Sweet Chario sugar cubes :lol: ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:24 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:13 pm 
Crimebuster

People Must Be Told. wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Is there any secret hidden meaning or reference in Rorschach eating Sweet Chario sugar cubes :lol: ?

Potentially (this is Alan Moore remember), what with historical usage of the term Sweet Chariot and its connections with clandestine movements and vigilance operations acting outside the bounds of ineffectual official law enforcement.

wow, awesome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:18 am 
Alien Squid Monster

After reading Watchmen and watching the film over and over, I've been really thinking and questioning my own philosophies on life and my responsibilities to others. It's made me ask, "How far must I be willing to go to protect or save someone else, especially if I am in direct danger by doing so?" Kovacs knew what to do; he knew what the apartment tenants were too scared or too apathetic to do. It's made me look at myself in the mirror and ask, "Am I willing to fight for someone else?" And now I am no longer unsure - the answer is yes. It is my responsibility; it is all of our responsibilities.

The world cannot successfully operate under a purely "absolutist" view like Rorschach's, I'll admit. But there really is good and evil in this world. And evil must be punished. We must all put aside any selfish facet of ourselves to look out for others. Is it easy to be selfish? Absolutely, there is no argument about that. But being a hero, even in the smallest way, makes an incredible difference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 pm 

minuto27 wrote:
After reading Watchmen and watching the film over and over, I've been really thinking and questioning my own philosophies on life and my responsibilities to others. It's made me ask, "How far must I be willing to go to protect or save someone else, especially if I am in direct danger by doing so?" Kovacs knew what to do; he knew what the apartment tenants were too scared or too apathetic to do. It's made me look at myself in the mirror and ask, "Am I willing to fight for someone else?" And now I am no longer unsure - the answer is yes. It is my responsibility; it is all of our responsibilities.

The world cannot successfully operate under a purely "absolutist" view like Rorschach's, I'll admit. But there really is good and evil in this world. And evil must be punished. We must all put aside any selfish facet of ourselves to look out for others. Is it easy to be selfish? Absolutely, there is no argument about that. But being a hero, even in the smallest way, makes an incredible difference.

It's good in the very first place that Watchmen got you thinking, that is truly the goal one must achieve when reading this fantastic comic book.

But, after all that thinking, ask yourself if you are willing to do ANYTHING to punish evil, and try to list what you consider good or evil.

The point here, is that Rorschach himself thought he was willing to do anything to punish evil, he thought he knew what was good and evil, but after Bryce was dead, he was no longer sane, his beliefs did not hold against the reality of life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 pm 
Crimebuster

People Must Be Told. wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Potentially (this is Alan Moore remember), what with historical usage of the term Sweet Chariot and its connections with clandestine movements and vigilance operations acting outside the bounds of ineffectual official law enforcement.

The only broad reference I would think of is to the song "Sweet Chariot" itself. The lyrics are about the Prophet Elijah being carried to heaven on a chariot sent by the Angels. Prophets are speakers of truth, and are usually not recognized as Prophets until after they are Martyred. I personally see Rorschach as the speaker of truth in "Watchmen", and the "S" wrapper being shown again near the end, is either a bit of forshadowing or allegory to Rorschach's fate.

As a device in the story, Rorschach gets the suger boost to keep himself awake and alert, and he is never connected to the "blood over the eye" blindness motif. A parallel is also in Chapter V, as Malcom Long keeps increasing the GOPAIN pills that he is taking, as to deaden the pain of the descent to truth that Rorschach is leading him onto. Both the sugar cube wrappers, and the GOPAIN bottle are in green.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next