WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Did you enjoy the recent forum puzzle game?
Yes. I solved it and I can't wait for the next one. 38%  38%  [ 13 ]
I didn't solve it, but I thought it was fun. I'll try again next time. 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
I liked watching everyone struggle to get it, but I didn't play. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
No. Not my thing. But if members are into it, keep going. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
No. It was stupid and it should stop. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
What puzzle game? 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: WCM's Viral Puzzle Game
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:43 pm 
The Watcher

There's been lots of talk about this new viral puzzle game I've spawned - some of it good, some bad.

But I want to get an idea of what the forum members think about it here. I mean, I'm not going to waste my time on this stuff if a majority of you don't like it and won't participate, so feel free to vote and comment if you like on the whole idea.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

The people who complained about it were few and far between compared to all of the people who were having a ball.

I'll pull a Veidt and say that the displeasure of a few should not be weighed against the happiness of all.

Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'll have to admit, Valis had already figured out the puzzle before I could really start anything.

Still, I think this was a fun little distraction. Something for all of us to work together on and help each other with if not share outright.

I'm game for more if you are, boss.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

It's my first time on a forum connected to something as big as this (could a comic book-movie be any 'bigger' for me? Don't think so. Oh yeah... DKR), so I'm enjoying this kind of viral/puzzle thing immensely. Bring it on!
Edit: I had to take the second vote too. Dat pesky Valis, he too fast!

Last edited by Mister Pain on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

I reluctantly chose the second option. I understand that in many ARGs there are all kinds of different puzzles and everyones' various skill sets come in to play. This time the codebreakers got their fun; next time they'll need help from someone else. Everyone works together.

Unfortunately that last sentence is what was lost on this first puzzle. Instead of simply putting the answer in black text and saying "highlight if you want to know," we were completely forbidden to tell anyone the answer except through PMs. You're probably sick of me mentioning this by now, but as a longtime player of ARGs I've noticed the ones where everyone can get in on the action or sit it out and just get the answer easily are the most successful. For example, Lost's first ARG was fun at first: looking at source code, finding hidden videos, etc. However, it quickly devolved into a convoluted mess of real computer hacking and code solving (sound familiar?) that only a few people were able to solve, and of course, elite mentality meant they were reluctant to share their findings with others, and if they did share, the answer was so difficult that the common man couldn't do it themselves. Future ARGs were considerably "dumbed down" because of this.

So I'll keep playing because I'm waiting for my turn to help everyone, but I still don't support the "hiding of the answer."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:55 am 
The Watcher

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
So I'll keep playing because I'm waiting for my turn to help everyone, but I still don't support the "hiding of the answer."

Point taken. I'm really very new at this, so, maybe the next one I'll get it more right. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:36 am 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
BlackDoomShadow wrote:

Point taken. I'm really very new at this, so, maybe the next one I'll get it more right. Thanks for the advice.

Making the puzzles more difficult and multi-layered might also help. Don't underestimate us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I am thinking of the satisfaction Dreiberg got from typing in Adrian's abandoned office.

Go for it. I want more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 am 
Tired of Earth.

I think it's worth noting that this has been tried before. Michael Regina attempted to use The Veidt Method as a springboard for his own ARG back in Ye Olde Days of RorschachsJournal. The attempt failed spectacularly and for three reasons.

1. The Veidt Method website was very modern in its design. I wish I could show you what I mean, but the site has mercifully been taken down. The point is that if it's remotely related to Watchmen, it has to be as retro as possible.

2. A big part of this ARG was Rorschach himself. Regina personally took on the character of Rorschach so that players could e-mail and talk with everyone's favorite absolutist vigilante. Interactive communication with fictional characters sounds like a cool idea in theory, but it's an absolute mess in practice.

When taking on characters is a part of the game, the players start to wonder who's working behind the scenes and who isn't. This sows mistrust very quickly. Another problem is that such a move invites harsh scrutiny that no actor could withstand. Regina apparently got around this problem by making scarce appearances on his own site, and his efforts were hurt because of it.

3. If I may be so bold as to say it, we have a larger and tighter user base than Regina could have dreamed of. His ARG never saw completion because nobody cared enough to figure out the next clue or talk about it. His meager user base fell apart for a variety of reasons, which led to the ARG's failure. That won't happen here so easily, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I think it's pretty obvious from the thread that I enjoyed it. Perhaps that was because I almost worked it all out even without knowing what ascii was. All I knew of ascii was that you can make pictures out of text and it's called ascii art! :D
My brother and I got all the letters and symbols before he realised it was ascii. I've figured out that it wouldn't have been hard to work out from that point what the numbers were. You'd just need to realise that it was an IP address, so each two digit part would be decoded into a single number. From that you know that the numbers range from 1-9 so it would've been very easy to work out that you just need to subtract 48. And then you'd be done.
So, even though you perhaps didn't intend it to be solvable that way too, I don't think those who didn't get it have any grounds to complain that they had to know what ascii was. They're just frustrated that they couldn't get it themselves.
I don't want to suggest how you do the next one, because the fun is in the surprise, but perhaps it'd be worth using the book. Certain bits of dialogue, removed from their context, could act as clues. That way I don't think anyone could rightly complain...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
I was there when Valis solved it and quickly bookmarked the page, shifty-eyed and crouched over the kill like a vulture.

If there's another game, though, I'd be more than willing to try a little harder at it this time. :D So I support more games!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:04 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I don't think those who didn't get it have any grounds to complain that they had to know what ascii was. They're just frustrated that they couldn't get it themselves.

I think you're wrong about that. If someone like me who has no knowledge of ascii (which I had never heard of up until yesterday) and little understanding on numbers being converted on computers (see, I don't even know if what I said made sense), how can we be expected to just figure it out? You at least had some idea what it was.

I don't know. Personally, I think if you are going to do another one of these, then it might be better if it had more to do with Watchmen. Something that requires knowledge of Watchmen, or simple word play.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

t3cii wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
I don't think those who didn't get it have any grounds to complain that they had to know what ascii was. They're just frustrated that they couldn't get it themselves.

I think you're wrong about that. If someone like me who has no knowledge of ascii (which I had never heard of up until yesterday) and little understanding on numbers being converted on computers (see, I don't even know if what I said made sense), how can we be expected to just figure it out? You at least had some idea what it was.

I don't know. Personally, I think if you are going to do another one of these, then it might be better if it had more to do with Watchmen. Something that requires knowledge of Watchmen, or simple word play.

I agree with you. The game didn't have any real connection with watchmen universe. I think the next one should have some.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 am 
Alien Squid Monster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
BlackDoomShadow wrote:

I agree with BlackDoomShadow on this. And in future maybe give a hint in the original post as what to do, a riddle perhaps, otherwise its just for those in the know-how.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:56 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

NonStop wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
BlackDoomShadow wrote:

I agree with BlackDoomShadow on this. And in future maybe give a hint in the original post as what to do, a riddle perhaps, otherwise its just for those in the know-how.

No, I don't even think a clue was necessary. This is exactly what ARGs do, where not everyone knows how to solve every puzzle and so everyone has to work together. The problem started when people weren't allowed to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Yes. Loved it.

Rather concerned that Part 2 never appeared.

You made it sound so cryptic by "not being advertised on this board" that I still am wondering if it happened right under my nose. >_>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm 
The Watcher

TheShadow wrote:
Yes. Loved it.

Rather concerned that Part 2 never appeared.

You made it sound so cryptic by "not being advertised on this board" that I still am wondering if it happened right under my nose. >_>

The game is on hold. In the month's after the film's release, I'll resurrect it again.