WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Popups
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:28 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

The last few times I've logged onto the site, I've gotten a popup ad.

It's not as obnoxious as the expando ads IMDb uses and I can endure one at logon as long as it doesn't get out of hand or turn into a cookie monster that starts interfering with my enjoyment of the site or my general online experience.

But at least I haven't noticed an increase in spam... but then, after the fiasco over at Rorschach's Journal, I'm not sure I would... still getting spammed from that.

Post subject: Re: Popups
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:59 am 
The Watcher

Vynson wrote:
The last few times I've logged onto the site, I've gotten a popup ad.

It's not as obnoxious as the expando ads IMDb uses and I can endure one at logon as long as it doesn't get out of hand or turn into a cookie monster that starts interfering with my enjoyment of the site or my general online experience.

Yes, believe it or not, I have the option with my banner provider to put unlimited popups, popunders, and layer ads, for each browser session. I opted for only 1 popunder per session for the main site. That's it. It will not increase. There are no popunders set for the forum.

What I am desperately trying now for, is to find a provider that understands my audience doesn't give a crap about Oreck vacuum cleaners, etc. I would really prefer of all of my ads were entertainment based like other similar sites (Movies, TV, DVD releases).

No email is going to happen, especially for ads. In fact I only have email addresses for those signed up in the forum, and that tool allows me to send a broadcast alert email. But I have no idea why I would do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:15 pm 
Indestructible Man

Sounds okay to me, Doomsday. Thanks for addressing that.

Post subject: Pop Tarts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:38 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Fair enough.

I think the reason I endure IMDb's obnoxious expando ads is that they are at least for movies. It'd be cool (and you'd get more ad hits) if they would do as you say and aim for the market. They may not sell many vaccuums or car insurance policies in geektown, but they could promo movies and such very effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:46 pm 
Indestructible Man

Oh yeah, those friggin' "roll over to expand" ads. IGN puts up that stupid crap too. Granted they're movie based, but if I see those here, I may have to quit the site.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:27 pm 
The Watcher

From by banner provider...

Demographic data collected through our survey allows us to include your site on targeted proposals that specify a target demographic, as well as run-of-network campaigns that target a specific age group. Without sufficient data – the minimum being 200 responses for the previous 12 months – we cannot include you on these proposals and campaigns, and you will lose out on great revenue-generating opportunities.

As one of our sales people regularly reminds us, "If we don't know the audience, it's tough to pitch to a client why they should run on a specific site."

If you feel inclined. Take the survey. It will help me out. The links will appear in the banners from time to time. It takes about 5 minutes. Much obliged.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:01 pm 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
If you feel inclined. Take the survey. It will help me out. The links will appear in the banners from time to time. It takes about 5 minutes. Much obliged.

Do I win something?

No?

Oh, well. As long as it helped.

That's the important thing.

I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:22 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
Do I win something?

No?

It's supposed to help them target my demographic better. What it means is if more foilks fill out the survey, the more likely banners will appear that appeal to the users. Does it make more more money? I don't think so. The banner company pays me for impressions, not clicks. So whether the ad is for hemmohoid cream or a graphic novel, I get paid (very little)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Quote:
pays me for impressions, not clicks

What are "impressions", in this sense? I've always been kind of curious as to how internet advertising works. I've read articles about how some entrepreneurial souls make small fortunes by slightly altering the names of large companies, and getting traffic from people who misspelled what they were looking for, like "Bist Buy", for an example.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:54 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
What are "impressions", in this sense? I've always been kind of curious as to how internet advertising works.

Impressions are how many times an add is viewed. So if I have 3 ads on a page and that page is viewed 1,000 times, that's 3,000 impressions. I get paid per 1,000 impressions, and the going rate is 1 to 3 dollars per 1,000 impressions, of which I get half (the banner ad service provider gets the other half). So the site ends up making around $90 bucks a month. That pays for my hosting, some online advertising, and the rest left over for my time spent working on the site. Getting rich, I'm not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:00 pm 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Broken Finger wrote:
What are "impressions", in this sense? I've always been kind of curious as to how internet advertising works.

Impressions are how many times an add is viewed. So if I have 3 ads on a page and that page is viewed 1,000 times, that's 3,000 impressions. I get paid per 1,000 impressions, and the going rate is 1 to 3 dollars per 1,000 impressions, of which I get half (the banner ad service provider gets the other half). So the site ends up making around $90 bucks a month. That pays for my hosting, some online advertising, and the rest left over for my time spent working on the site. Getting rich, I'm not.

But look how many new friends you've made...

Thank you for the info, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:31 am 
Indestructible Man

For transparency's sake, I'd like to add that I don't make a thin dime for what I do here.

I simply keep the forum in line and offer the occasional feedback. Doomsday does all the coding and site maintenance, he pays all the bills and arranges the advertising.

So, while the site may not generate much, Doomsday earns and keeps every cent of it. And that's perfectly fair, as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:39 pm 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
For transparency's sake, I'd like to add that I don't make a thin dime for what I do here.

Well, the truth is I'm going to try to reward everyone who participates in the running of this site. Moderators, Vancover spys/photograpers. If any swag is thrown my way, or movie tickets, or whatever, I'm willing to share the wealth. Even if the site starts to generate real money as the film gets closer, I may compensate those who help me buy buying them a gift, etc. The bigger the contribution, the more swag and gifts will be thrown your way. There are also some other perks, like being on the inside and finding out things before they're posted on the site.

Now I don't need any more forum moderators right now (Curiosity has been doing great), so don't ask. What I need are content contributors, and a lot more folks in Vancouver to help me with photos and shooting leads.

As always... I'm waiting to hear from you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:22 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The last few times I have logged on, I've noticed the ads are gone. I always block popups, but I have always seen the banners, and now it seems the banners are gone. Are all ads gone now? If so, kudos. That is the above-board way to go when dealing with material that is actually owned by someone else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:30 am 
The Watcher

Mannie Bothans wrote:
The last few times I have logged on, I've noticed the ads are gone. I always block popups, but I have always seen the banners, and now it seems the banners are gone.

They're still there. Don't know why you can't see them.

Mannie Bothans wrote:
Are all ads gone now? If so, kudos. That is the above-board way to go when dealing with material that is actually owned by someone else.

I don't agree. There is a cost associated with running the site. There's hosting, paying a programmer to set up the board and do some other coding on the front-end site. And, there's my time. There is a value that needs to be placed on that. I sink tons of hours into research and fleshing out the main site so there's no reason I shouldn't get something for that. And, if you look at it, I assume in some way I'm putting some money into DC and WB's pockets for selling movie tickets and graphic novels, and they don't give me any money, so the ads help there too. Remember, the ads don't generate lots of money either, its about $50-$80 per month,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Let's hear it for DD, folks: doin' his bit to keep Watchmen outta Moore's and Gibbons's hands and making sure it stays put with DC where it so rightfully and morally belongs! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:39 pm 
The Watcher

CLINT FLICKER wrote:
Let's hear it for DD, folks: doin' his bit to keep Watchmen outta Moore's and Gibbons's hands and making sure it stays put with DC where it so rightfully and morally belongs! ;)

And thank you for being one of the avid fans who continues to visit this site frequently. Without fans like you, this site wouldn't even exist. Which would be OK, too - you'd at least still have Rorschach's Journal and The Veidt Method. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:26 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Always been more of a follower over at The Vivarium these past two and a half years myself. I'll keep visiting here too for as long as I'm able between now and at least early 2010, though. Keep up the good work.

Post subject: Re: Pop Tarts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:23 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Vynson wrote:
Fair enough.

I think the reason I endure IMDb's obnoxious expando ads is that they are at least for movies. It'd be cool (and you'd get more ad hits) if they would do as you say and aim for the market. They may not sell many vaccuums or car insurance policies in geektown, but they could promo movies and such very effectively.

Blatantly there should be adverts for Watchmen when the time comes!!

Thanks very much DD. I've only once before come across admin so generous!