WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

WJK wrote:
bumping with

i didn't know this existed until last week.

if you know their previous stuff, you'll like this one as well.

Seems like an odd choice, but if he can write and make music, then by all means !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:
bumping with

Seems like an odd choice, but if he can write and make music, then by all means !

Here's what he meant to post.

Not Stephen King. As good as 11/22/63 is, I doubt he has much of a flare for the musical arts.

Anyway, I've been listening to these quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Godziller66 wrote:
Not Stephen King. As good as 11/22/63 is, I doubt he has much of a flare for the musical arts.

I don't know about that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_FcdFIJqU

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

t3cii wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I don't know about that:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_FcdFIJqU

Well, I stand corrected, though I've gotta say I'm not particularly surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:04 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

WJK wrote:
bumping with

lol I have seen them live twice since that album came out :D It's an awesome album too, they've started to go a lot more electronic, but still a great band.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm 

COMEDY ALBUMS

The first is Tig Notaro doing a pretty spontaneous half hour set about how she was just diagnoses with cancer at the time. It's pretty crazy.

The second's Patton Oswalt being Patton Oswalt. So both amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 pm 

Pacific Rim OST

A very fitting score. The use of guitar seems appropriate.

Kirby Krackle-Sounds Like You

A cool album from such a cool band.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I just streamed Reflektor, Arcade Fire's newest (double) album. It's rather great, although it does probbaly run on for a little too long in spots, but just about every song is incredible. Although, I prefer the "live" version of "Here comes the night time." I'll definitely buy it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:41 am 

So some of you might be interested in this. I wouldn't really be listening to the entire thing, but the band decided to do one music video for each song and they combine to form a horror/thriller narrative. So that's pretty cool. Only 8 of 11 parts are out so far, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkIWmsP3 ... E3aJC48x9S

Also, it's apparently inspired by Daft Punk's Interstella 5555. So that's pretty awesome as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I had a great album marathon this morning as I was doing homework:

Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
Just great. Just f'ing great. You know that it's a great album when as soon as it's done you want to listen to it again, even though it's about as long as a feature film.

In the Aeroplane over the sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
I had already listened to all the songs but not in the order of the album and it's an absolute masterpiece. A beautiful, haunting and even oddly uplifting work of art.

The Beatles' White Album -
It's very good, but I wouldn't put it amongst my favorite Beatles' record. You could tell it was very free form and that's part of what makes it great but also flawed.

First Impressions of Earth - The Strokes
I already had it because one of my best friends burnt me a copy when it came out, but I lost it. Anyways, I'm glad I bought it. I really enjoy it and I must say the packaging and art is fantastic, even when you can get stuff like that off iTunes it just doesn't compare to actually having it in your hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Finally got around to buying The Heist. I'm only sorry it took me this long.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:58 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
I already had it because one of my best friends burnt me a copy when it came out, but I lost it. Anyways, I'm glad I bought it. I really enjoy it and I must say the packaging and art is fantastic, even when you can get stuff like that off iTunes it just doesn't compare to actually having it in your hands.

I really feel like once you get past song one, the album does a bit of a nose dive. Not that Heart in a Cage, or Razorblade are bad songs (although, I find the latter sounds distractingly close to "Mandy"), it's just none of them reach the high that is You Only Live Once. I'd also cut about four songs off of the album.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I really feel like once you get past song one, the album does a bit of a nose dive. Not that Heart in a Cage, or Razorblade are bad songs (although, I find the latter sounds distractingly close to "Mandy"), it's just none of them reach the high that is You Only Live Once. I'd also cut about four songs off of the album.

I agree that You Only Live Once is the highlight and probably the best song in it. I really like it overall but if we are talking about cutting off songs, I think everything after Fear of Sleep is kinda weak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I mostly agree. I'd cut:

15 Minutes - Probably my least favorite song of theirs. It sounds too much like a Pogues song. I never noticed the influence of other bands in their songs like other people did, but after this album, it became less "The Strokes do reggae", and more "The Strokes do a specific band". "Gratisfaction", for example, sounds exactly like a Thin Lizzy song, so much that Julian Casablancas even mimicks the lead singers vocal style.

Evening Sun - Mostly because I think it's dull, but mostly because Julian's vocals sound almost identical to his vocals on You Talk Way Too Much.

Killing Lies - I just think it sounds like filler

Fear of Sleep - Like the lyrics, just not crazy about the music

I'd then add Hawaii, which was the B-side to Juicebox, and I'll Try Anything Once, even if it is a different version of You Only Live Once. Still, despite these changes I think this would be at best an average album. It almost makes me wish they broke up after Room On Fire. It might have cemented their status in rock music if they had only produced those two albums and nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I dunno, that's a little harsh, man. :P
But yeah, I think that as a whole album it's not exacly a success but it's listenable and it has some songs I really love.

I do wish that Angles and Comedown Machine would have been at least ass good, though or better, much better. I do miss their Room on Fire/Is this it sound. I don't mind bands or singers evolving but when the results aren't so great, it's easy to be nostalgic for their older songs.

Anyway, I also listened to Pulp's His n' hers
VERY good stuff. Babies is my favorite song from that album, although it is kind of the odd one out. It has a slower, less electronic sound compared to the rest of the album and the lyrics just seem so...sincere. Playing it loud feels like you are exposing a secret you promised to keep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 pm 

Kanye West's Yeezus.

Pretty nuts. It goes from tongue in cheek soaring romance song to dark, primal sounding songs about slavery and racism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Godziller66 wrote:

Kanye West's Yeezus.

Pretty nuts. It goes from tongue in cheek soaring romance song to dark, primal sounding songs about slavery and racism.

I didn't know you listened to Kanye.
Would you recommend it though?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Kanye West's Yeezus.

I didn't listen to Kanye until now. Seems like a smart guy who writes intelligent stuff despite his apparent propensity to be full of himself sometimes. And I would recommend this album, though I'm told that his previous album is his best.

Also, take a look at these two music videos from the album to witness the crazy disparity that is Kanye West. I'm pretty sure the first one is a self-aware and tongue in cheek deconstruction of over-sexualized romantic R&B songs, but it took me awhile to come to that conclusion. For a good while I was just confused and entertained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAtAM7vtgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx11xq6X7Q

And then there's the second one which is flat out dark and disturbing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:38 pm 

The Thermals: The Body, the Blood, the Machine.

A concept album about a couple who has to escape a fascist theocracy in the future.

Queens of the Stone Age: ...Like Clockwork

Not a concept album, but it has some pretty dark and disturbing music videos that seem to tell a cohesive narrative composed of smaller individual stories. Very fitting for the style of music.

Anyway, I really like both of these albums and I might even buy them in the near future. They both feel really macabre and the sounds to both feel pretty unlike a lot of the stuff I'm used to so I'm glad I got to listen to them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:31 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Godziller66 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Kanye West's Yeezus.

I didn't listen to Kanye until now. Seems like a smart guy who writes intelligent stuff despite his apparent propensity to be full of himself sometimes. And I would recommend this album, though I'm told that his previous album is his best.
And then there's the second one which is flat out dark and disturbing.

I remember linking to some of his songs off of his previous album, and you not really liking them. So, can't say for sure if you'd like that album.

Even though I think Kanye is a total asshole, I do appreciate what he's bringing to rap music. Very, very few rappers are willing to step outside the box like he does, even if it often risks being pretentious. His SNL performances in particular feel high concept. Considering most bands just perform against the same backdrop, his performances feel quite radical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0RHYNQx44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SoKFycTmVU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next