WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Malcolm X
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:07 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

[NOTE: This post was split from the "Last movie you saw" thread. --"Curiosity Inc."]

diego1235467 wrote:
Ali, 9/10.

Will Smith was electifying. Brilliant film.
Malcolm X's death scene was extremely emotional for me.

Still haven't seen that film. Malcolm X is a personal hero of mine, and I knew he was portrayed in Ali but I wouldn't have thought his death scene would be in it as X and Clay stopped talking when he left the Nation of Islam the year before. Not that it would be out of place thematically... how did they portray it? Anything like Spike Lee's film?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
diego1235467 wrote:
Ali, 9/10.

Will Smith was electifying. Brilliant film.
Malcolm X's death scene was extremely emotional for me.

Still haven't seen that film. Malcolm X is a personal hero of mine, and I knew he was portrayed in Ali but I wouldn't have thought his death scene would be in it as X and Clay stopped talking when he left the Nation of Islam the year before. Not that it would be out of place thematically... how did they portray it? Anything like Spike Lee's film?

Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXi7FNnjQQk

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:12 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Yup ^
I thought it was much more emotional than in Lee's film. The music is just absolutely haunting. Lee's, however, portrayed the ensuing panic very well.
GREAT to see another Malcolm fan :D
No one understands why a Mexican like me likes Malcolm, lol. They always answer "but, wasn't he black?" :roll:
That is, when they even know who he is...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:30 pm 

diego1235467 wrote:
No one understands why a Mexican like me likes Malcolm, lol. They always answer "but, wasn't he black?" :roll:
That is, when they even know who he is...

Hah! I know exactly how you feel. The problem I'm concerned with these days is learning from Malcolm at the same time as, well, not being black. I like to feel that I can identify with him on some level, but the truth is I can't truly and I never will.
It's like that occasion (it was shown in the film and you're probably familiar with it anyway) when a white woman approached him and said something along the lines of "I believe in your cause. What can I do to help?" To which Malcolm paused, and bluntly replied: "Nothing."

It's a very strange position to be in, isn't it? I for one believe that Malcolm is one of the most important people in American, and World, history, certainly of the 20th Century at least. And yet at the same time I pretty much resent (as he did) those white people who marched on Washington singing "We shall overcome". Those same sort of white people voted for Obama specifically because they believed it would "end racism forever" :roll: I mean, despite all the efforts to erase Malcolm from the history books it's those types of people that really get me annoyed.

Anyway, did you know that one of our fellow members here is named after Malcolm in real life?

Back on topic (...ish): I didn't find that scene to be as good as Lee's. The latter was just so delicately handled and built up so gradually...and the panic like you mentioned was captured superbly. In the clip I thought the actor looked the part, and the quietness was an interesting choice bearing in mind that Malcolm knew he was going to die, but it didn't really flow together so well imo. But I'm now very curious as to how the rest of the film portrayed the man.

I must learn more about Muhammed Ali too. As you know his story is partially entwined with that of Malcolm, and also one of my favourite songs is actually about him...
http://www.last.fm/music/Ben+Folds+Five/_/Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

For some reason I just feel much sadder with Ali's scene. Not that Spike's scene isn't sad, but this music really gets to me. not to mention the first time I watched Ali, I started it a little late (it was on tv), and a minute into it his death came up. I really wasn't expecting it at all. Even now, everytime I watch these scenes, whether in Ali or in Malcolm X, I get extremely teary eyed, If not cry altogether :cry:

Then again, I also cried when Wilson floated away in Cast Away, but that's another story... :oops:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:56 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Anyway, did you know that one of our fellow members here is named after Malcolm in real life?

Would that be XMaliciousMal?

AYBGerrardo wrote:
In the clip I thought the actor looked the part, and the quietness was an interesting choice bearing in mind that Malcolm knew he was going to die, but it didn't really flow together so well imo.

Lee also had a major asset in Ozzie Davis, who I'm sure was an invaluable source of information on Malcolm X (and Lee could have him re-read his eulogy).

Did you know that Morgan Freeman also played Malcolm X?

As did Gary Dourdan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:01 pm 

I can't imagine either one of them being a scratch on Denzel Washington though. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

t3cii wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:

Would that be XMaliciousMal?

Umm well I thought I'd not say in case he didn't want me to but you might have figured it out :?
The person I'm thinking of is called Malik. I mentioned that his name was the same as my hero and he asks who. I say Malcolm X (aka El Hajj Malik El Shabazz) and he says that his parents named him after him! I found that pretty cool...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 pm 

Gordon Freeman played a white version of Malcolm X in Half Life too........wait.....

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:15 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Quick question but did Malcolm X really need glasses? I once read an article by someone who said they didn't think he wore prescription lenses because when seen from certain angles there was no distortion effect to his lenses. My new glasses for example have quite a bit of distortion when seen from the side. So did Malcolm X have a very weak prescription or did he just wear the frames to look more like an intellectual?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:17 pm 

He really needed them. When he was in prison his passion for books emerged, to the extent that he used to read all through the night after lights-out. Over time this caused enough damage to his eyes that he needed glasses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:24 pm 

^awesome :D
Plus he did look pretty bad ass with them 8-)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

diego1235467 wrote:
^awesome :D
Plus he did look pretty bad ass with them 8-)

Indeed. He gives glasses wearers like me something to strive for. :)

His glasses must have been like the kind you find at a pharmacy. In the photos I've seen him in there's no ripple when seen from an angle, and the lenses look crystal clear. So they would be a very weak prescription. At least compared to mine (although mine are a very strong prescription).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm 

t3cii wrote:
mine are a very strong prescription

*Looks at avatar*
*Looks at post*
*Looks at avatar*

Hurm....Possibly Milhouse. Must remember to investigate further.

Post subject: Re: Malcolm X
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm 

There's another, earlier figure in American history who is much like Malcolm X, but he is pretty much unknown to everybody except Rastafarians these days. Originally from Jamaica, he became a writer and worker's representative in the USA where he founded the UNIA in the 1920's, a black nationalist movement four million strong, and bought boats to take African-Americans to Liberia in Africa to found a new nation. Malcolm X's parents met at a UNIA rally.

His life would make one hell of a film.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Mister Pain wrote:
There's another, earlier figure in American history who is much like Malcolm X, but he is pretty much unknown to everybody except Rastafarians these days. Originally from Jamaica, he became a writer and worker's representative in the USA where he founded the UNIA in the 1920's, a black nationalist movement four million strong, and bought boats to take African-Americans to Liberia in Africa to found a new nation. Malcolm X's parents met at a UNIA rally.

Marcus Garvey? I think you're referring to him. I learned a bit about him in my US History class this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:01 pm 

vdtdcutd5145 wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

Marcus Garvey? I think you're referring to him. I learned a bit about him in my US History class this year.

Heh, forgot to write his name in the post. Never post before coffee, I should know that by now.
Good news that they are teaching about Garvey in schools. His story and others like it used to be marginalised in western mainstream education, but lots has changed in recent times.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:15 pm 

I've read about him and seen stuff about him on tv, but never anything thorough. He was a hell of a guy, though.

Other heroes of mine:
Che Guevara
Subcomandante Marcos
Medgar Evers
Cezar Chavez
Benito Juarez
etc.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 am 

Yeah Marcus Garvey was a huge influence on Malcolm X...
Malcolm's father was murdered by the Klan for being a Garveyite.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 am 

Felt it fit in both the "art" thread, as well as this one. Let me hear your opinions.

Drawing:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5684/malcolmxn.png

B&W scan, reworked in Paint:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:36 am 

They're both good. Can I have this one o a black t-shirt please? Thanks.