WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Earthquakes in Haiti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

For those not aware, Haiti had a massive quake, and is in terrible shape, with death toll estimates ranging from 50,000 to 100,000.
My heart goes out to everybody there.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Haiti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 am 
Indestructible Man

I hope no one found out about this through a thread on a Watchmen forum. Simply because that's a silly way to find out about a thing this big.

And yes, earthquakes and natural disasters in general suck and it's a tragedy. I don't know what else to say though.

Oh wait, I know! I'm always touched by the banding together of people in situations like this when I can finally see past the immense loss of life. Like with the tsunami. I can't believe that there are some people on the radio and elsewhere who are actually questioning if we should help them or not. Also, did you hear what Pat Robertson said? What a jackass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 am 

What did he say?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 am 
Indestructible Man

diego1235467 wrote:
What did he say?

He said some jackassery things to say is what he said.

And this is mild compared to some of his comments in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:04 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

that's terrible! i hope as many people are saved as possible

i just wonder how long it will be before some idiot jackass says something like "god did it because they all practice voodoo" like when we had loads of floods in the uk and some preist said that god made the floods becuase of britain's relaxed stance on homosexuals. :roll:

edit: just read about pat robertson, i guess he was quicker off the mark than i was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:26 am 

Fuck that guy.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:
diego1235467 wrote:
What did he say?

He said some jackassery things to say is what he said.

It's funny that he compares Haiti to the Dominican Republic, calling the latter "prosperous, healthy" despite it being a hub of modern day slavery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I'm glad someone made a thread for this. I'm worried I'm becoming desensitized to things like this. Seeing the news on CNN I find I have to almost force myself to watch it thinking "this is important, thousands have died, show some damn sympathy". But I find it's becoming more and more easy to just turn away from the tv, or change the page of my newspaper and move on to something else. I don't think it's really hit me yet.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:46 am 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:
I'm glad someone made a thread for this. I'm worried I'm becoming desensitized to things like this. Seeing the news on CNN I find I have to almost force myself to watch it thinking "this is important, thousands have died, show some damn sympathy". But I find it's becoming more and more easy to just turn away from the tv, or change the page of my newspaper and move on to something else. I don't think it's really hit me yet.

I've felt the same way, but forcing ourselves to care too much would also be phony and wrong, what's important is that it didn't happen to us, and we should be glad and thankful, as for them, they receive ALL the help they can get, without hesitation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 pm 

^ Agreed.

And yes, when he mentioned the rich nation of DR, I called bullshit.

In other news, Obama (or Obama's people) gave a link on the white house website to help the victims (the link leads directly to the Red Cross). Then our favorite asshole, Rush, stated that by having us give money through the white house, Obama was keeping the money for himself.

Brilliant, dude. Brilliant. :roll:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:36 pm 
Indestructible Man

Honestly, I don't get all the hate towards the guy. He's just a pawn of the Twilight producers and he knows it, so I'm sure he'll bail out at the first... oh, this is Pat Robertson we're talking about? The guy who uses religion purely for his own gain? Yeah, fuck him.

I'm just watching last night's Daily Show, which mentioned Rush's racial diatribe. I think Mr. Stewart put it best: "I think I know the cause of your heart trouble. You don't have one."

The great thing about these unspeakable disasters is that it makes finding the real douchebags that much easier. You assholes go about pushing your agendas and stoking your egos. The rest of us will be ignoring you while we HELP SAVE LIVES!

Post subject: Re: Earthquakes in Haiti
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm 

:lol:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 pm 
Indestructible Man

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I'm just watching last night's Daily Show, which mentioned Rush's racial diatribe. I think Mr. Stewart put it best: "I think I know the cause of your heart trouble. You don't have one."

I think he also put it best when it came to Pat Robertson.

"Shut your piehole, old man."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 pm 
Indestructible Man

diego1235467 wrote:
Fuck that guy.

Ditto.

t3cii wrote:
I'm glad someone made a thread for this. I'm worried I'm becoming desensitized to things like this.

I almost was, but then the cameras panned out from a sidewalk to show a long stream of blood running down the street.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
I am very sad about the natural disaster in Haiti. They already have desperate lives and very poor living conditions. However, I've worked in Social Services with the chronic homeless and mentally ill, and I don't understand how what used to be the richest country in the world is always taking care of other countries before we take care of our own.

I don't believe that any American should be homeless or hungry. I don't believe that any children in the United States should go hungry or not have a warm, safe bed to call their own. We cannot even take care of our children; look at the foster care system and the amount of abused and neglected children we have, but we are always first in line to give millions of dollars to those around the world. I am not saying to withhold any help, but 100 million? How much are we in debt? Trillions, and we are cutting federal and state programs to help our children and those who are beyond poor.

We will send food, clothing, water, medical but we cannot even provide the basics here to every man, woman and child in this country, but by God, we can and will help you! I say we take care of our own poor, homeless, sick, abused, neglected, hungry, uneducated citizens before we try to save another country regardless of need. There are always going to be suffering and horrible natural disasters but we don't have to shoulder all of the rescuing, rebuilding and saving.

We are their neighbors in this time of unspeakable suffering and tragedy. How many countries sent aid to Louisiana? How many countries are donating to re-building Louisiana? That's right, we are barely taking care of Louisiana ourselves. Any news stories mentioning Louisiana or Mississipi lately? We can't take care of them, but we are rushing to save Haiti. I feel terrible for the Haitians, and they are in my prayers, but my hard earned dollars are going to people right here in my community, Tulsa. Donate your clothes, money and time to the local homeless shelters. Take care of your community first. See a neighbor who has lost their job and are about to lose their home. Take them dinner, give them money for their house payment, car payment, clothes for their kids, etc. Again, my prayers and well wishes go to Haiti but my checkbook stays open to my community.

Last edited by Sun-chained-in-ink on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:06 pm 

Sorry, but aren't we the "most powerful, most wealthy, most totally-awesome" nation in the world? I agree that we don't take care of our own, but that's true whether we're helping others or not. If we have the means to help Haiti, by god we're going to do it.

They ARE part of my community, as far as I'm concerned.

* If you want to help, you can text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts for Haiti. You will be asked to confirm your donation, and will be notified that it was accepted. The amount will appear on your bill. PLEASE DO IT IF YOU CAN.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:34 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Uh, we don't have the means to help Haiti. In case you haven't noticed, we're knee deep in crap here.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country. I don't think we're the wealthiest, I think that's China. We owe over ten trillion dollars to lots of other countries, but the bulk of it is to Communist China. So if wealth is measured by debt, then I'm sure we're the wealthiest. Millions of people HERE are losing their homes, income, livelihoods, etc. every day (not in the same fashion as in Haiti, but I digress). Many families are homeless due to our economy's descent into the toilet. Why can't we text someone and give relief to needy families in America, or families on the cusp of losing their homes?

Like I said, I'm not saying we should withhold help to Haiti. I am just saying that there are just as many millions here who need aid as there are in other countries. How could that 100 million be better spent? Like I said in my above post, we don't have to shoulder all the rescuing, especially when we're knee deep in shit here and no one is coming to our aid.

Which other countries are pouring resources into helping Haiti? If there are any, I don't know of them, so please tell me, because I am interested.

Though, it ain't just Haiti, my friend. There are lots of other countries in the world right now that have problems (both environmental, catastrophic, and leadership wise), but it's just that Haiti is the new Darfur, the country that it's currently hip to care about because it's a disaster and it's still fresh in our minds (since it's all over the news), meanwhile millions in our own backyard don't have homes, healthcare, food, clothes, etc.

As I have said, my thoughts and prayers go with them. I sincerely hope nothing but the best for them, and if my church decides to do a missions trip there to help, then I will help my church any way I can. Though, my ten dollars? No, that's going toward helping feed needy children HERE. Why would you go mow everyone else's lawn until you're out of gas when yours is the one that needs mowing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:52 pm 

For everyone else:

Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti. It's simple, quick, and will be of great help. If you can, please do it.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:05 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:19 pm 

:roll: Right back at you.

HAITI to 90999

ImageImage