WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The festival/gig thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

The time is upon us to buy festival tickets for the summer (if you want to go to one) So I thought I would create a place for people to say which gigs/festivals they want to go to or are going to. You can also talk about gigs you've been too that were good.

Feb 13th- Brixton Academy: Lamb of God with Job For A Cowboy, August Burns Red and Between the Buried and Me
July 30th-Aug 1st- SONISPHERE FESTIVAL 2010!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'm tentatively set to play at the West Virginia Strawberry Festival in May. I'll be pounding a bass drum with the Last Regiment of Syncopated Drummers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

tbone wrote:
The time is upon us to buy festival tickets for the summer (if you want to go to one) So I thought I would create a place for people to say which gigs/festivals they want to go to or are going to. You can also talk about gigs you've been too that were good.

Feb 13th- Brixton Academy: Lamb of God with Job For A Cowboy, August Burns Red and Between the Buried and Me

i considered going to sonisphere, but after 5 consecutive years a couldn't bring myself to not go to Download Festival. also 3 days of DL vs 2 days of SS? Metallica Vs Rammstein? not really any contest.

that lamb of god concert sounds good though. i wonder if there are still tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 am 

tbone wrote:

i considered going to sonisphere, but after 5 consecutive years a couldn't bring myself to not go to Download Festival. also 3 days of DL vs 2 days of SS? Metallica Vs Rammstein? not really any contest.

that lamb of god concert sounds good though. i wonder if there are still tickets.

There are, and there are also tickets for other o2 venues if Brixton is not your nearest. TBH I am a bit nervous because it is my first "proper metal" gig, and I am in the standing area, and given that I am 5ft and 17 years old, I kinda fear getting crushed in a pit with 6 ft something metal monsters (not to generalise). I hope standing doesn't = pit, but I couldn't bare the thought of watching LoG sitting down even if I do end up standing at the back, I will still be able to enjoy it without being crushed.

Oh and there haven't been any confirmed acts for download yet, but Rammstein and Maiden, Slayer and Anthrax, Alice Cooper and Motley Crue! COME ON! oh and I think sonisphere is 3 days (30th Jul-1st Aug)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 am 

Standing is always best at a loud gig. Full frequencies. Back just behind the sound desk, and off to one side. Sometimes gigs that sound shitty everywhere else sound reaaaallly good right there, next to the soundman...
I saw Motley Crue in Singapore a year or so ago. Awesome, and hilarious at the same time. Cross your fingers for The Mars Volta. Live, they are on a roll right now with an awesome line-up, best gig I have been to in a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Fun fact: "Gigs" are what musicians call jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 am 

Giggety!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 am 

tbone wrote:
tbone wrote:

There are, and there are also tickets for other o2 venues if Brixton is not your nearest. TBH I am a bit nervous because it is my first "proper metal" gig, and I am in the standing area, and given that I am 5ft and 17 years old, I kinda fear getting crushed in a pit with 6 ft something metal monsters (not to generalise). I hope standing doesn't = pit, but I couldn't bare the thought of watching LoG sitting down even if I do end up standing at the back, I will still be able to enjoy it without being crushed.

Oh and there haven't been any confirmed acts for download yet, but Rammstein and Maiden, Slayer and Anthrax, Alice Cooper and Motley Crue! COME ON! oh and I think sonisphere is 3 days (30th Jul-1st Aug)

well rumours are strong that metallica will be there.
good luck at the concert, you should be alright standing at the back by the bar, i always get london's concert venues muddled up, (they're all pretty similar once you get inside) but i'm pretty sure the soundbooth is in the middle at the back of standing, and the floor slopes up at the back, so you should be able to see fine.

now i've looked the concert up, i'm a bit torn between that and the machinehead/hatebreed one a week later. i might swee if i have friends who want to go, but i'm actually really broke after christmas, might just have to wait until download :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 am 

Yeah, there is Machine Head and Hatebreed which sounds brilliant, and there is Mastodon at Camden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:09 pm 

Just thought I would bump the thread given Download announcement is now out.
bold are bands I would like to see

Download VS Sonisphere

Sonisphere:

Iron Maiden
The Cult
Rammstein
Fear Factory
Iggy and the Stooges
Papa Roach
Slayer
Anthrax
Bring Me the Horizon
Alice Cooper
Motley Crue
Rollins
Placebo

Download
AC/DC
Motorhead
MEGADETH
bullet for my Valentine
Them Crooked Vultures
Volbeat
Wolfmother
Stone Temple idiots
Deftones

I admit that Download doesn't have as many bands announced yet. But still.... So far

Sonisphere>Download

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:55 am 
Existence is random.

I want to go to Coachella so badly. I'd do ANYTHING to get there.

Anyway, I'm a very big gig goer and I'm going to see 2 Many DJ's (aka Soulwax) this month.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 am 

Metallica are still looking likely for download festival, they are doing a different festival in Poland the following weekend, and there is a gap in their tour schedule between 23rd May (in france), and 16th June (in Poland) so they are in europe, why bother going back to the states for 3 weeks? Download festival is 11th-13th of June. they need to be there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 pm 

Download need metallica. Then the tickets will start flying off the shelves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:47 pm 

BUMP

I went to Lamb of God w/ Job for a Cowboy, August Burns Red and Between The Buried and Me:

It was so good. BTBAM were a really good opener, they were pretty heavy but progressive/melodic in places as well and I think generally were well received by the crowd. August Burns Red were not as good, the lead vocalist was too screechy for my liking, and all their drumming rhythms were the same. Then JFAC came on and things livened up a bit moe because a fair few members of the crowd were fans of theirs. When the vocalist did his low vocals they were really good, but there was something about his high vocals which was just a bit off, meaning I didn't like them as much as I hoped I would. I don't know whether his vocals were just tired because it was their last date in the UK, but they kind of ruined the terrorizing effect that they otherwise maintained very successfully, with brilliant lighting, and haunting artwork in the background. Their music was fast and brutal, and everyone in front of the sound desk was going mental, basically the gig had really began. Then, after a half hour wait (give or take), Lamb of God hit the stage. In every way shape and form they blew their support out of the water, by absolute miles. The setlist was a nice mix, covering material from all of their studio albums, most of it was from Wrath or Ashes of the Wake. They were brutally heavy, and Randy Blythe had such a stage presence he captivated the whole of Brixton Academy. They never let up, and were unrelentingly heavy, the crowd didn't let up either, everyone wash moshing or headbanging all the way. The set ended with Black Label, and although Blythe is not allowed to explicitly call a Wall of Death (search on you-tube if you don't know what it is), he did a pretty good job of implying that he wanted one, but the venue was so packed (sell out show), that we couldn't really divide the crowd in half. It was mental nonetheless, and adrenaline was still charging through my body long after I got home.

I also got a kick ass LoG t-shirt.
Scores
BTBAM: 8
ABR: 6
JFAC: 7.5
LoG: 9.5

(out of 10)

One of the heaviest gigs I have ever been to, and I enjoyed every minute.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm 

My band Sanity Obscure SG is playing at Black Hole this weekend in Singapore. Come along!
Underground, anti-establishment hardcore thrash and metal in the super-controlled city-state.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 253&ref=mf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 am 

stone sour, rage against the machine, lamb of god, and ....aerosmith. announced for download!!

the headliners are all announced now (AC/DC, RATM, Aerosmith), which mean metallica probably won't be there :( they won't ever not headline download, unless that do it as a surprise like in '04.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:40 pm 

Mister Pain wrote:
My band Sanity Obscure SG is playing at Black Hole this weekend in Singapore. Come along!
Underground, anti-establishment hardcore thrash and metal in the super-controlled city-state.

Sounds really good, thanks for the link as well, but sorry :( I don't live in Singapore, but it sounds like the sort of music that I would personally really enjoy :)
stone sour, rage against the machine, lamb of god, and ....aerosmith. announced for download!!

the headliners are all announced now (AC/DC, RATM, Aerosmith), which mean metallica probably won't be there :( they won't ever not headline download, unless that do it as a surprise like in '04.

Yeah the Download lineup I now consider to be fucking awesome, other than no Metallica :( But Lamb of God seem to be on top form at the moment, RATM will be cool, I love AC/DC and Aerosmith are kind of legendary. There is also 5FDP who do a mean live show, Ivan their frontman is really good, so all in all the download line up is looking pretty damn fine with Megadeth, Motorhead and Them Crooked Vultures as well. Think I will be sticking with Sonisphere this year though as a) I don't have the money to do 2 festivals b) Maiden, Cooper, Rammstein, Fear Factory, Anthrax, Slayer and Crue is a fucking good line up.

I was very happy with the recent Download announcement though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 pm 

tbone wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

Sounds really good, thanks for the link as well, but sorry :( I don't live in Singapore, but it sounds like the sort of music that I would personally really enjoy :)

Cheers. I'll put your name on the door anyways, just in case...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:16 pm 

Well, as you might have guessed by my sig, I am nuts about this band called Cancer Bats. On Friday they played the Relentless Garage, which has the capacity of about 600, this afternoon, I saw them play their album release show with about 30. It was insane. It was like watching them in my living room. I walked up on stage and met them all afterwards and they were really nice and down to earth. The circle pit that Liam (front man) started, consumed the whole room, people that didn't want to be in it literally had to hug the wall. They are one of the most lively bands I have seen, with Liam jumping in and out of the crowd, and giving the mic to people at the front to sing along. It was just amazing. Not really sure what to say now, other than I got my copy of the new album signed, and got my photo taken with the frontman.

As it was so special, it felt one off and it was intimate, I can't give this anything other than 10/10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next