WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Doesn't occur to me, doesn't worry me, not a concept remotely important to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Two problems today:

Número uno:

Uncle Smokey is schizophrenic, my mom got a doctor's order to send him for treatment at a hospital, needless to say, he doesn't want to go.

And now I think my mom doesn't want to send him either, I think she has adopted a "He's sick and he needs help" attitude, though I don't know why the hell does it have to be us who have to help him, specially since nobody in the family wants to take care of him, and even more because he is a fuckin' asshole.

I know, it's a little harsh, he is mentally ill after all, but, everything he does, doesn't strike me as behavior from a person who can't be held accountable for his actions, as mentally ill people usually are.

Número dos:

My goddamn bitch teacher told us to sit down after our botched exposition, which we shouldn't have had to do since we were told by her, just half an hour ago, that we were presenting a test.

Instead, she changes her mind at the last minute and forces us to expose the subject, and I had to get up there with my freshman classmates.

Now, I've met some nasty, tough teachers before, I'm not intimidated anymore by any asshole who thinks he's superior because he has a degree, but my classmates were terrified, and they didn't give a good exposition, granted, we lacked some knowledge in some areas of our exposition, but if you dig really hard and ask some nasty questions (specially when it's Human Biology) then you can nail everyone in a class.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:23 am 
Tired of Earth.

Re: Feli's Uncle Smokey.

I once knew a woman whose husband was deathly afraid of going to the dentist. First, she made an appointment without his knowing. Second, she drove him to the dentist's office when they were supposed to be going someplace else. Third, she went into the dentist's office and took the car keys with her.

Unable to go anywhere without the car keys, the guy eventually caved and set foot in the office.

Might a similar plan be helpful, Feli?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Re: Feli's Uncle Smokey.

I once knew a woman whose husband was deathly afraid of going to the dentist. First, she made an appointment without his knowing. Second, she drove him to the dentist's office when they were supposed to be going someplace else. Third, she went into the dentist's office and took the car keys with her.

Unable to go anywhere without the car keys, the guy eventually caved and set foot in the office.

Might a similar plan be helpful, Feli?

I think I see what Curi's getting at.

Feli, you should stab your uncle in the eye with a dentist's drill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:58 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I feel stupid for posting this, I know my troubles aren't such a big deal but I'm a year away from finishing school from the looks of it, and yet, I just want it all to be over and not just that. For it to end and to restart again. I just haven't been the happiest with my undergraduate education. It's a pain in the ass to cross the border every day and deal with asshole customs officers, I feel like I wasted two years of my life and a lot of money in the Core Curriculum, I just can't connect with anybody. That's pretty much it.

I feel like starting again in Mexico but I also feel that if I do that, I would have wasted three, nearly four years for nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
I feel like starting again in Mexico but I also feel that if I do that, I would have wasted three, nearly four years for nothing.

That sucks, dude. The harsh reality is an education doesn't guarantee happiness or success. If things aren't working out you it might be best to quit and cut your losses. Have you made any contacts or connections? And how necessary is a diploma for the field your studying?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:13 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

That sucks, dude. The harsh reality is an education doesn't guarantee happiness or success. If things aren't working out you it might be best to quit and cut your losses. Have you made any contacts or connections? And how necessary is a diploma for the field your studying?

I have, I have friends who are in the filmmaking industry or in similar things in different parts of the US, Mexico, Argentina and UK. And actually, one of them, who is a relative told me that something like a master's degree is not necessary for film. They look more towards experience and I don't think I have a lot. I've done dozens of shorts and participated in different shoots and projects, but I still find myself with a lot of questions.

I'm also thinking that even if I quit now, the whole application process could take me from half a year to a year, so by the time I'd get in, I could have finished school in that year. But right now I'm considering that I don't have to do a Master's. Maybe I can just get another Undergraduate degree somewhere else. And then do a Master's. I guess I could just let the chips fall wherever they may but also working forward towards something.

I'm just very annoyed and jaded about the whole thing. I take a look at study programs of universities in Mexico and seriously, no offense to american universities, but I can't help but think "I should have probably stayed".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:41 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
I feel stupid for posting this, I know my troubles aren't such a big deal but I'm a year away from finishing school from the looks of it, and yet, I just want it all to be over and not just that. For it to end and to restart again. I just haven't been the happiest with my undergraduate education. It's a pain in the ass to cross the border every day and deal with asshole customs officers, I feel like I wasted two years of my life and a lot of money in the Core Curriculum, I just can't connect with anybody. That's pretty much it.

My advice, for what it's worth.. finish your study and get out there and into it. Enthusiasm and a little study is all you need. Over-studying is for academics, not practitioners. The questions get answered in the field, the answers come through experience and picking the brains of/observing the people working around you.

I have zero tertiary education. There was one graphic design course in my home town when I left high school, I applied and didn't get in. Made it as a graphic designer anyway, ended up teaching 2nd year Bachelor of Arts at a design school!
Made music videos and small things for TV, got a good contract at Weta, now I'm directing a show that screens all over the world. All those opportunities came about through contacts in the real world, people I had worked with giving me a break later on because they liked working with me, not because of my CV.

Go for it, mate!
8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:49 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Thanks, Mister Pain! May I ask what show do you direct?

Also, I seriously considered making the jump back to Mexico and starting again as soon as possible, but that's just not going to happen. Why? The application and overall registration process takes place over January to June of next year, if I get out, I would have lost a semester and by the time I get into the new school, if I already get into the new school, I would only have like four months left. I might as well finish it already.

In the end, I'm thinking about going to another major afterwards, but the idea of doing a master's is still present in me I've been told that it's not very necessary to do a master's in film, but I look after the example of my dad since I feel we are in similar circumstances. He studied something that wasn't really his calling and that overall, was completely useless to him. What got him jobs were his skills and he decided to get a master's in Education to be a teacher since he also wants to do that. So what I mean to say is that it's something I'd rather do now than wait like 20-30 years to do it, especially if it gets me out of the city I'm in right now.

In other news, a couple of days ago I was going back home from school with my mom when suddenly a motorbike and a truck passed a red light. Then we began to hear these like firecracker explosions. On the rearview mirror, my mom saw a cop truck passing by at full speed. Turns out they were shooting. I ducked to the upholstery while my mom drove away as far as she could. This wasn't on the news at all, probably because nobody died, I hope. It was very scary, it's the sort of thing you know you can expect from living here but when it actually happens it just rocks you to the core. The shots where close enough that I could almost feel them vibrate in my body. It was stupid for the cops to shoot like that, I'm sure that there are other ways of making chase without getting civilains shot or almost shot. Although a theory doesn't escape me that they could've been in on it with the biker and the truck driver and were firing because they were guncrazy. It doesn't make it any less comforting though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:

It's the new Franklin And Friends, a kid's show for Nelvana (Turtles, Bears, Beavers...). It sold all over the world, and has just been bought by Nick Jr. for screening in the U.S.

We took the old animated show and gave it's characters and modes a big shake up, and it's a 3D modeled version of the 2D universe from the kids books and original cartoon series.
Remaking an existing successful property into something new that still keeps the old audience and creators happy... it's been quite a task. But we rolled straight out of season one into season two, so we're doing good. I have a sympathetic attitude to anyone adapting a property :)

And while gun battles on the street n' right up your ass might be exciting stuff at the movies, it sure translates into shit-yr-pants in the real world!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Mister Pain wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

It's the new Franklin And Friends, a kid's show for Nelvana (Turtles, Bears, Beavers...). It sold all over the world, and has just been bought by Nick Jr. for screening in the U.S.

We took the old animated show and gave it's characters and modes a big shake up, and it's a 3D modeled version of the 2D universe from the kids books and original cartoon series.
Remaking an existing successful property into something new that still keeps the old audience and creators happy... it's been quite a task. But we rolled straight out of season one into season two, so we're doing good. I have a sympathetic attitude to anyone adapting a property :)

And while gun battles on the street n' right up your ass might be exciting stuff at the movies, it sure translates into shit-yr-pants in the real world!

I bet! I've never had gun battles take place in my ass!

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
I bet! I've never had gun battles take place in my ass!

Man, you should come n' visit Indonesia! A man can barely sit down...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It's awesome that you're doing great, Mr. Pain! Congrats! Give me a job someday : p

Speaking of work, my boss is being weird again. The office doesn't allow us to use facebook for any purpose but work since we have to update ours and so on. But I also saw that as having to stay in touch with possible bands or artists. Today she told me that I shouldn't be using it. When I told her I was writing to the bands I was supposed to get in touch with, she said "Okay" and later told me again, to not use it. I guess I'll have to stick to e-mail and phone, which is fine and even better and more formal, but many times some of these bands don't give out this information and the part I find frustrating is that I feel she keeps doing things that self-sabotage my work.

She took away a lot of the stuff I used to do becuase it "wasn't what I was supposed to do". The funny part? She's giving me some of that back. Not to mention stuff that she's done behind my back that apparently hasn't resulted in anything. I've thought about quitting, especially since I really don't get paid much but money is money and I just try to adapt myself and outsmart her.

But honestly, I feel she has issues. Like today she was talking about how the bands we hire would have trouble doing covers and how student organizations could not project movies without paying fees and how they would be fined if they did, she seemed to be saying it while trying not to smile at the thought of it. And comparing how she communicates with the rest of the people of the office and me, I feel like she doesn't like me very much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm 

Ugh.
My bff 'B' and I are like siblings. Any closer and we'd be siamese twins.
This fucking loser deadbeat asshole was messing with me so bad one night when I was hanging out with friends.
Like just one goddamn low blow after another. This chick said I was cute and he didnt like it so he decided I was trash.
He went from simple insults to death threats in like minutes.
But before I could say anything to really like... defend myself, 'B; kinda jumped in there. But the whole thing turned from 'defending Joey' to 'this guy is pretty interesting'.
She said he's just a troll and she'd deal with it. So I moved on.
A week later I find out they're friends.
She said they're really not, and he's just an aquaintence.
Another week later i find out from ANOTHER friend that they're super chummy and talk every day.
I have mondo fucking problem with this.
Anyway, so lately like this whole past year, I've been confiding in 'B's estranged bestie: 'R'.
And 'R's boyfriend is the monkey wrench that came between them. 'S'.
So, I tell R everything thats going on. Its cool she sympathizes.
The S turns around today and starts drilling B to drop this asshole as a friend (by this point they're super close).
B doesnt even know how S knows about all this.
So I have to tell B that R told S.
Now everything is like... clusterfucked.
UGH.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
Ugh.
My bff 'B' and I are like siblings. Any closer and we'd be siamese twins.
This fucking loser deadbeat asshole was messing with me so bad one night when I was hanging out with friends.
Like just one goddamn low blow after another. This chick said I was cute and he didnt like it so he decided I was trash.
He went from simple insults to death threats in like minutes.
But before I could say anything to really like... defend myself, 'B; kinda jumped in there. But the whole thing turned from 'defending Joey' to 'this guy is pretty interesting'.
She said he's just a troll and she'd deal with it. So I moved on.
A week later I find out they're friends.
She said they're really not, and he's just an aquaintence.
Another week later i find out from ANOTHER friend that they're super chummy and talk every day.
I have mondo fucking problem with this.
Anyway, so lately like this whole past year, I've been confiding in 'B's estranged bestie: 'R'.
And 'R's boyfriend is the monkey wrench that came between them. 'S'.
So, I tell R everything thats going on. Its cool she sympathizes.
The S turns around today and starts drilling B to drop this asshole as a friend (by this point they're super close).
B doesnt even know how S knows about all this.
So I have to tell B that R told S.
Now everything is like... clusterfucked.
UGH.

because there were more letters swirling around than the last few spoonfulls of alphabits... I'm lost

So B is friends with a guy you don't like?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 pm 

Yes! But not only that, she broke my trust, and really hurt me.
Over this... JERK!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:

What did she do? you don't really give a lot of details that explain why you're so mad. From the sounds of it it was a situation where he was a little jealous over a girl and thus he made an move by trying to remove you from the scene by deminishing your appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:46 pm 
Tired of Earth.

NiteOwl wrote:
Over this... JERK!

Sounds to me like you shoulda just kicked his ass then and there.

At least, it's what I would have done, but then again we are not the same person.

MLIFC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:51 pm 

WJK wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Over this... JERK!

At least, it's what I would have done, but then again we are not the same person.

MLIFC

I would've but both girls don't like it when I do that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm 
Tired of Earth.

NiteOwl wrote:
WJK wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Over this... JERK!

MLIFC

I would've but both girls don't like it when I do that.

IMO,

pride > what girls think of you

show that asshole who's boss next time he tries to mess with you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next