WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that those with a history of mental illness or criminal activity are barred from legally purchasing firearms. That's not proposed legislation, that's the law of the land right now.

Aurora challenges your assertion.

he had no recorded history of mental illness, and purchased ammunition over the internet, which the regulation for is way looser than it would be in a store.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 am 
Tired of Earth.

Well, then there's a case when tighter regulation would have helped. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

WJK wrote:
he had no recorded history of mental illness

First, people with mental disorders can pass for sane people.

Second, if you think having the nerve to shoot twelve people in a filled theater does not constitute some form of mental illness, you got another thing coming.

WJK wrote:
and purchased ammunition over the internet, which the regulation for is way looser than it would be in a store.

Thank you, another reason to enforce more gun control.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:28 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

Second, if you think having the nerve to shoot twelve people in a filled theater does not constitute some form of mental illness, you got another thing coming.

WJK wrote:
and purchased ammunition over the internet, which the regulation for is way looser than it would be in a store.

i don't know where you got the idea that i don't think he had some mental illness, it's pretty fucking obvious that he did, i'm just saying that he had no previous record showing that he had any mental illness, and that this act seemed almost completely out of the blue for him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:46 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

WJK wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

WJK wrote:

i don't know where you got the idea that i don't think he had some mental illness, it's pretty fucking obvious that he did, i'm just saying that he had no previous record showing that he had any mental illness, and that this act seemed almost completely out of the blue for him.

Are you talking about the Aurora shooter? There were a lot of reports by his family and others that he seemed pretty nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 am 
A brother to dragons.

There are a number of facets to this issue, and people are still talking about most of them. Banning assault rifles and those big ass clips, better mental health screenings and mental health care, posting armed guards everywhere, and banning Mortal Kombat seem to be the main ideas people are tossing around. I think a couple of those are pretty good ( :lol: ).

One thing that no one seems to be talking about (like, literally) are psychiatric medications, the kind with certain side effects, like suicidal and/or homicidal ideation. If some of these shooters were already troubled, and their parents or their doctors have them on Prozac, Celexa, or any of the other popular psych meds with the potential side effect of increasing suicidal and homicidal thoughts, and then you have easily obtainable rifles and handguns on top of that, it starts to make sense why mass shootings occur so often.

So, why aren't the news media talking about the medication angle? Is it because the pharmaceutical industry has more money and better PR than the NRA? I don't know, but that's my guess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:51 am 
Tired of Earth.

Well, there's also the fact that psychology is hardly a perfect science. Hell, it isn't even a very old science. It may take a great deal of time and research before we can trust the doctors to diagnose and treat mental illnesses with 100 percent accuracy 100 percent of the time.

Furthermore, if those with mental illness go undiagnosed, untreated, or refuse to take their medication regularly, then the point is essentially moot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Again, pretty first world problems for me here. I just got turned down by my college to do an MFA online there. So my only other option was to do one in Juarez. I went to a meeting yesterday and now I have to see if they are okay with taking in my subjects and college education in the US because that can be an obstacle. But barring that, I have to make a decision if I want to move forward with the application process because in two weeks, I will begin a course that is meant to prepare you for the Master's and to help the counselors of the Master's decide if you are fit for the program or not. This is a program in Art and Design, something I've never done before, but the lady at the meeting told us that that's not a problem. And in fact, I was interested in the program because it was something completely new to me. But now I'm questioning: What if I suck?

But not only that, we have to justify ourselves to the council why we are right to the program, why do we want to be there. And being honest, I am not so sure about me. I'd just like to get a teaching job because I know the filmmaking thing is very unlikely to happen to me. I am taking a Master's because I don't think I'd like to be the same situation father was in that he took thirty years to take a Master's, because his current job wasn't paying him well enough. And at the same time, I've been told that I'm actually good at teaching people or sharing my love, passion and knowledge of film with others. It's something I'd like to do. But I don't know anything about art or design, I'm not sure how I'd fit in this picture or what I'd have to share to people.

On the side, if you are selected for this Master's program, they give you a scholarship. Which is fantastic, it discounts about half of what you pay for tuition which isn't a lot, at least not compared to what my Undergrad work in the US. But you are conditioned to be a full-time student and given that I want to get into filmmaking, I'd like to find jobs that help me with that. Or any job, not necessarily to help me in filmmaking but just to have something that backs me up with money. I would really like to keep working because I feel I would otherwise be putting the pause button on an aspect of my life that I don't feel deserves that.

The other issue is that I don't really have any other options for a Master's. Anything else that I'm interested in is too expensive because of either or both the tuition or living expenses. At the same time, my parents seem unable to believe that I'm mature enough to be far away from them, in a totally unknown city. So even if I found something affordable, that would still be an obstacle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:24 am 

You got turned down by your own college? Jeez, that's harsh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:

Yeah, very weird given that the teachers seemed to like my writing and me. But fuck that. Let's move on to this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Yeah, very weird given that the teachers seemed to like my writing and me. But fuck that. Let's move on to this problem.

*looks at graduate application to own college*

:|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am 

I'd like a little insight and advice on this matter:

I have a group of friends from college, most of us are separated and studying in different colleges by now (long story), suffice it to say that I've seen them every time I travel back to my home country, right now, it's one of those times and I've seen my friends every once in a while when we go out.

Here's the deal, one of my friends, whom will call "Christ Chick" is a very devout christian, her mother (father deceased) and her brother are also christians, and on our latest time hanging out, we were sort of discussing how we would be as parents if we had children of our own.

Now, I always say I'd want my children to be however they want as long as they are healthy, and even if they're not, then I'll love them just as much. Christ chick answered she didn't want her son or daughter to be gay, and that if it were to happen, she would apply him/her "hormone therapy" or try to correct his/her "odd" behaviors.

I was distracted at the time she said this, so the accounts from Christ Chick came from my girlfriend who was paying her much better attention.

The issue here, is that, had this been anyone else on the internet, or some politician I've heard on the news, it would be one thing, but this is a friend I've had for more than six years. When my girlfriend told me she said those things, I had no inmediate way of sorting this matter.

I mean, should I completely end our friendship ? Should I give her a pass since she's been my friend ?

Frankly, as I feel, if I find out she has gay children and gives them hormone therapy, I will call proper authorities.

What do you guys think ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
I mean, should I completely end our friendship ? Should I give her a pass since she's been my friend ?

If you have been friends with this girl for six years, I think it's a bit much to just end the friendship over. Considering she is a devout Christian, and her family are devout Christians, some ideas and values can be hard to get over if that's how you have been raised to believe. Why not just broach the subject with her and express how you feel? It seems silly to throw away a friendship over some comment (however dumb it might be).

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

If this person is a really good friend to you, then I think you can let it slide. I mean, does she know that you don't exactly share her point of view?

And a very small problem, but something that bothers me nonetheless; I am taking a course on weekday nights for my Master's and I was supposed to go to a Morrissey concert last November, but they postponed it to February 13 and it's a tuesday. :cry:

Post subject: I Have a Similar Story
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
A brother to dragons.

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

If you have been friends with this girl for six years, I think it's a bit much to just end the friendship over.

I reconnected with an old friend after not seeing or speaking for fifteen years. We had been pretty close as teenagers, but had grown apart. No animosity, just one of things, you know? At some point in those years she had become insanely racist.

I ignored it as best I could, and she was respectful of the fact that I didn't want to hear about the upcoming race war. We agree to disagree about many things.

You can still be friends, is my point. Your friend's views on homosexuality, as insane as they might be, are only a small portion of who she is in total. I can recommend, however, every now and again calmly pointing out that her views are insane. Like, in a friendly way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
And a very small problem, but something that bothers me nonetheless; I am taking a course on weekday nights for my Master's and I was supposed to go to a Morrissey concert last November, but they postponed it to February 13 and it's a tuesday. :cry:

Is this an important class? I mean, could you get away with missing it?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

t3cii wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

If you have been friends with this girl for six years, I think it's a bit much to just end the friendship over. Considering she is a devout Christian, and her family are devout Christians, some ideas and values can be hard to get over if that's how you have been raised to believe. Why not just broach the subject with her and express how you feel? It seems silly to throw away a friendship over some comment (however dumb it might be).

Thing is that, as a group, we've never been very political so the topic never really came up before.

As for the dumb comment, my girlfriend was telling me the other day that she went with Christ Chick to the bank to open an account, the guy who helped them was a complete ass, my girlfriend told me later that when discussing it with Christ Chick that conversation "sort of" went like this:

Girlfriend: "That bank clerk sure was an asshole!"

Christ Chick: And he was GAY !

I don't feel comfortable having a friend like that, I haven't even started on how she's the one on our group that denounces evolution and supports creationism.

I know it may seem like a goddamn caricature I'm describing, but it's a real human being.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:17 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Is this an important class? I mean, could you get away with missing it?

I....don't know yet. The course doesn't begin yet, so I don't know exactly how important each class is going to be.

Feliciano: If you don't feel comfortable having a friend like that, maybe you should keep your distance. Like I said, if you guys get along well enough, those things are easy to slide. Just think of The Dude and Walter in The Big Lebowski!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:52 am 

Thank you all guys for your insights into this matter.

As for you Oscar....................go to the goddamn concert, no class has important content on the first day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:34 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
As for you Oscar....................go to the goddamn concert, no class has important content on the first day.

Damn straight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next