WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mass Effect
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Well, seems like I had more sucess then expected. A "tl;dr" was not in the cards. For that I thank you.

As to the rest, there seems be a be significant gap in our interpertations. So be it, we agree to disagree. Like I said in the pm, I´m actively not trying to drag shit out.

And to foment the peace, here´s a an offer:

http://i.imgur.com/Gj9RG.jpg

Female turian that´s gonna be part of the Omega dlc.

Vital question about this character: will Garrus be able to ask her if she´s flexible?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

RuiBK wrote:
Vital question about this character: will Garrus be able to ask her if she´s flexible?

Surprise twist ?

She'll have reach !

Heard about those news a while ago, wasn't sure if female turians were going to be represented like they were in the comics, I can see they were, and it deffinitely looks better rendered on 3D than on paper.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

feliciano182 wrote:
RuiBK wrote:

Surprise twist ?

She'll have reach !

Heard about those news a while ago, wasn't sure if female turians were going to be represented like they were in the comics, I can see they were, and it deffinitely looks better rendered on 3D than on paper.

Garrus face at that discovery:

Assuming you are making a "It´s actually a dude." joke. If not, disregard the previous statement.

Here´s hoping that we manage to see Gavorn and Garka again.If not for some continuity/ME2 nostalgia.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b3CSXb9Ndc

Omega dlc video. Don´t know how long it will last.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28UgSPUk ... ture=g-all

What the fuck is happening at 1:31 :shock: ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm 

I can't believe they did it.

Shit, I think I'm gonna fuck Aria :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Don´t get your hopes high, I´m just making a humorous assumption. I actually hope that´s not the case. The bitch disses us like crazy since ME2, how could thing change so much in one dlc?

Although, based on some developer chat, you are gonna be able to fuck Aria. Just not the mind-melding way...

Me, I´m waiting for some "No Collectors,Catalyst,Leviathans." confirmation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:28 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Just got ME3 for christmas. Am about 25 hours of playtime in so far.
And it's really good.
I've played ME2 before so I'm already familiar with shit.
Although I had lost my save and didn't get to import.
But I must say it's good to see some familiar faces.
I don't know jack shit about the ending yet, but I'm bracing myself cause of the reputation surrounding it.

I actually prefer ME2 more as it seemed to be more diverse and less linear.
Not to say that detracts from ME3. Cause it does what it does with flying colors.
It's just a matter of preference.

Also should I buy the Omega DLC before or after I finish the story?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

NiteOwl wrote:
Just got ME3 for christmas. Am about 25 hours of playtime in so far.
And it's really good.
I've played ME2 before so I'm already familiar with shit.
Although I had lost my save and didn't get to import.
But I must say it's good to see some familiar faces.
I don't know jack shit about the ending yet, but I'm bracing myself cause of the reputation surrounding it.

I actually prefer ME2 more as it seemed to be more diverse and less linear.
Not to say that detracts from ME3. Cause it does what it does with flying colors.
It's just a matter of preference.

Also should I buy the Omega DLC before or after I finish the story?

There´s no post-ending dlc for this one. Omega is at the lack of a better word a "middle game dlc". If you have it instaled, the mission gets unlocked very early in the game(Menae, if my memory serves me well).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 am 

Who... didn't use the Crucible? *raises hand*
It seemed like an assfuck either way.
It wasn't as horrible as people claimed it was.

But it's fiction. There's no reason why the war couldn't have been won.
Because it's fiction. You (the writers) can do whatever you damn well please.
And they chose to have two retarded endings?
The fleets should've won. Regardless. Because that's not a sucky ending.
There is no pay off with this ending. It's either cripple every civilization in the galaxy, or let them die.

So. Who's bright idea WAS this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

NiteOwl wrote:

Say hello to these two guys:

Marc Walters.

Casey Hudson.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 am 

Douchefag 1 and 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm 

*cracks knucles*

NiteOwl wrote:

How do you think war ends NiteOwl ?

What do you think happens after a war is over ?

NiteOwl wrote:
There is no pay off with this ending. It's either cripple every civilization in the galaxy, or let them die.

Uhm.......................with the exception of the refuse ending, everyone wins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

feliciano182 wrote:
*cracks knucles*

NiteOwl wrote:

How do you think war ends NiteOwl ?

What do you think happens after a war is over ?

NiteOwl wrote:

Uhm.......................with the exception of the refuse ending, everyone wins.

Can he stop with that "getting pumped for the fight"routine at the start of posts? It got a bad rep in the Batman 3 thread :lol:

As to the rest, let me just say that I´ve felt alot more rewarded in games where the ending was much more grimier. Just saying...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 pm 

RuiBK wrote:
Can he stop with that "getting pumped for the fight"routine at the start of posts? It got a bad rep in the Batman 3 thread :lol:

"Can he" ?

And it got pretty humorous as I recall.

RuiBK wrote:
As to the rest, let me just say that I´ve felt alot more rewarded in games where the ending was much more grimier. Just saying...

There's a lot to learn and reflect on ME3's ending, rather than complaining about our personal dissatisfactions with the ending, or about attempting to like people by jumping on bandwagons *COFF* *COFF* NiteOwl *COFF* *COFF*, we could perhaps talk about it, surprisingly, the only thing people haven't really done at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:38 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
RuiBK wrote:

"Can he" ?

And it got pretty humorous as I recall.

RuiBK wrote:

There's a lot to learn and reflect on ME3's ending, rather than complaining about our personal dissatisfactions with the ending, or about attempting to like people by jumping on bandwagons *COFF* *COFF* NiteOwl *COFF* *COFF*, we could perhaps talk about it, surprisingly, the only thing people haven't really done at all.

Okay, I felt that maybe the ending was a gyp because it was such an unlikable finality either way.
Which doesn't have to be. It's fiction it CAN have a happy ending. Imagine if Star Wars ended with the death star blowing up and killing everyone in the galaxy? Same thing. Nobody would've like that. I'm not even saying it couldn't have been grim. Shit,. sacrifices were MADE. People died. That is pretty grim. I'm not sure what you think I'm doing by disliking the ending, but I seriously didn't.
I dislike endings like that. To me it was... alright. But I would've liked something less bleak. War or not, it's fiction and it can come out any way the writers please. The only reason it was so bleak is because thats what they wanted.
And I don't feel strongly enough about these games to really dig into a discussion like this. I've said my piece really. But I'm not gonna get all heated over this. *shrug*

I will say though I'd play the game through again. And again.
The ending didn't utterly RUIN THE WHOLE FSCKING GAME FOR ME D:
like it did for some.
It just left a bad taste in my mouth. But I did enjoy playing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am 

NiteOwl wrote:
Which doesn't have to be. It's fiction it CAN have a happy ending. Imagine if Star Wars ended with the death star blowing up and killing everyone in the galaxy? Same thing. Nobody would've like that. I'm not even saying it couldn't have been grim. Shit,. sacrifices were MADE. People died. That is pretty grim.

First, fictional stories don't have to end in happy outcomes because we acknowledge life doesn't do such a thing. Many of us, when experiencing stories in any medium, want to see the reality of our lives vindicated, we want it to be as real, as happy, and as sad as it can be in our everyday lives.

Mass Effect was always about sacrifice, specifically about the inevitable costs of war.

So for anyone to pretend that this was going to end with Shepard getting married with his LI and seeing him have many many kids is nothing short of a sad, delusional attempt at hoping for something that was never going to happen, and that was absolutely undeserving of the franchise.

Frankly, it's not a sad ending at all, it is exactly as they described, it's bittersweet, the galaxy has paid an incredible price to rid itself of the demons plaguing it for billions of years, but now, it has earned it's future, it can move on and prosper in ways that go beyond the knowledge of any sentient species that has ever existed.

Second, your "Death Star" analogy makes me suspect you didn't understand what happened with The Crucible.

NiteOwl wrote:
I dislike endings like that. To me it was... alright. But I would've liked something less bleak. War or not, it's fiction and it can come out any way the writers please. The only reason it was so bleak is because thats what they wanted.

What ?

NiteOwl wrote:
And I don't feel strongly enough about these games to really dig into a discussion like this. I've said my piece really. But I'm not gonna get all heated over this. *shrug*

Yup, run while you can :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 pm 

And this is why it's not fun discussing stuff with you.
Because you go into it like a fight.
Saying shit like "Run while you can"
Instead of appreciating someone else's opinions you flat out say they're wrong for thinking that way, accuse them of not understanding, and try to turn it into a fight.

So yeah. No. Not gonna do that. I'll talk Mass Effect with you when you're not cracking knuckles and being all macho.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

feliciano182 wrote:

Mass Effect was always about sacrifice, specifically about the inevitable costs of war.

So for anyone to pretend that this was going to end with Shepard getting married with his LI and seeing him have many many kids is nothing short of a sad, delusional attempt at hoping for something that was never going to happen, and that was absolutely undeserving of the franchise.

Frankly, it's not a sad ending at all, it is exactly as they described, it's bittersweet, the galaxy has paid an incredible price to rid itself of the demons plaguing it for billions of years, but now, it has earned it's future, it can move on and prosper in ways that go beyond the knowledge of any sentient species that has ever existed.

No, it was not.

Let me start out with the very basic. This only began to be a true war on 3. Up until then we were space 007(working with a "government" mandate and tracking down threats to the greater good), and on ME2 space Michael Knight(backed by private entities, doing stuff goverment mandated units should). Yes, we were soldiers(on 2 we could be considered mercs), but never fighting a war.

As to these inevitables costs of war you talk about, they amount to either choosing Kaidan or Ashley in 1, when we were space 007. Apart for him/her, everybody can be killed or spared depending on your choosing. As to Shepard,when you kill, then ressurect the protagonist in the first 20 minutes of the second game, the space Jesus concept evaporates...

As to the second paragraph, one would exepct a multitude of endings, ranging from complete and utter failure, to unabated sucess, much like ME2 did. That is what the series is know for. Choice of diferent outcomes. You most of not gotten that memo. What we got was what was underserving, in the sense that we picked the same ending with 3 diferent colors.

But that isn´t the problem in on itself. The problem is the lack of payoff. We were given victory in ME3 instead of achieving it. There is no sense of victory in that end game. .I have played games where I´ve seen every member of my team get killed, cities completly destroyed, civilians slaughtered, the planet that I was hopelessly defending against an overhelming force get glassed, and at the very end my character gets killed.But still, I knew that I had earned something with the sacrificies that were made, and that I took it from those who opposed me, even if at the cost of my blood.

This did not happen in ME3.

As to the last paragraph, let me guess, you are saying that based exclusively synthesis, right?

But well, focusing on others...

So NO, what´s your favorite part in ME1,ME2 and ME3?

In ME3 Tuchanka and the Citadel( the attack aftermath) are high points to me.

ME2, I would probably say the Suicide Mission is the stand out. Lazarus and Collector missions are pretty cool too.Then I would proably say the Jack missions, with probably Samara and Thane´s loyalty missions next, for the change in pace. But if we take into account dlc, I would say SM is still number one, but Overlord would be number two, with Lair of the Shadow Broker being number 3.

As to ME1, it´s Virmire and the last level in the Citadel. Honorable mentions to the Helena Blake side mission and the Renegade exclusive mission. But the really good stuff in ME1 happens inside the ship.
The banter with squadmates(Wrex, Tali and Ashley in particular) is what really imersed me into the game.

Last edited by RuiBK on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm 

In ME2 I loved all the missions on Omega.
They were kinda peripheral but I loved the atmosphere of run down space stations and such. Kinda claustrophobic on the lower levels.

In ME3, the planet where you face off against the reaper with just the targeting beam?
I loved that because the payoff was pretty cool. Felt like a badass in full.
And the way that mission escalated was indeed really nice.

I played through it really really fast though.
Both actually. I never even stopped for a second playthrough on ME2, but I'd like to buy it again to play and have a save to import into ME3, upon which I'll play that one through again. Taking my time a little more on both.

And yeah I do agree about being a space 007.
I remember thinking that in ME2 where you had to dress up and get into that rich guy's party... for that heist?
That was fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next