WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:12 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

RuiBK wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

This game to me has been all about deciding wether Michael De Santa is one of the best characters in videogame history..................or Trevor Phillips...........or Michael De Santa...........or Trevor Phillips..........or Michael.........GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH !

Whoever it may be to me, it's an amazing game and everyone should play it.

And by everyone I mostly mean Oscar :D

Fuck them all.Don´t know why, more or less around the half point of the game I was like "can somebody kill theses fuckers?". I mean, Trevor is an unabated asshole,not in a good Tommy Vercetti way. As to Michael and Franklin,they tried to make them relatable,but they yet always persisted in douchebagery. Michael´s case with that nightmare of a family is an example of a shit reward for a change in character(as futile as it was).

God forbid you ever watch Breaking Bad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:54 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Fun fact, recently started watching and am enjoying it. It´s not as if I can not root for assholes, it just that Michael and Trevor irked me. Franklin is just standing around watching those two being dipshits. Like I said, atleast with Tommy there was a consistency. But hey, not every main character can be like Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm 

RuiBK wrote:
Fun fact, recently started watching and am enjoying it. It´s not as if I can not root for assholes, it just that Michael and Trevor irked me. Franklin is just standing around watching those two being dipshits. Like I said, atleast with Tommy there was a consistency. But hey, not every main character can be like Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs...

Wei Shen was basically just Tony Leung's character from Hard Boiled, but younger.
I mean, it wasn't without precedence.
Trevor is Jack Nicholson + Dennis Hopper.
and Michael is just not a family man. The reason his family is so fucked up is because he was never meant for that life.
He is miserable being the retired rich dad.
Neither Trevor or Michael are protagonists in my eyes. Trevor is a wild card and Michael is a thief who regrets the fact he's out of the game instead of regretting being in the game.
If there is any flaw I can level at the characters and story of GTA V so far is that, Franklin is almost bland compared to Michael and Trevor.
Michael is supposed to be the good little angel on his shoulder, and Trevor is essentially the devil one.
They both give him non-stop advice, yet it conflicts.
If Franklin was a more compelling character, this whole dynamic might come into focus better.
While I do like Franklin, playing the straight man to Michael and Trevor isn't easy. Especially when you can't fall back on a specific run time in which to tell your story.
Franklin is often lost by the wayside as Michael's family life explodes and Trevor hijacks things and goes crazy- but honestly...
Franklin is the only real protagonist in my opinion. He's young enough to get out ahead of the pitfalls that his two over-the-hill mentors fell into.
Granted, I haven't finished the story, but that's what I'm getting so far.

Also, I have no problem playing as characters I can't root for. I found both Manhunt games to be particularly thrilling experiences (also by rockstar if I'm correct)
and I've proposed a game concept to friends in which you play a cenobyte-esque demon who has to methodically learn his victims' fears and prey on them by manipulating a dream-like environment.
Playing the villain can be fun. Playing as Trevor Phillips... is even more fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

BIG GTA SPOILERS (Oscar....abandon ship....quickly)

Someday perhaps people will understand that good characters don't necessarily have to be likeable, moral or relatable. Someday perhaps, PERHAPS ... the Vercetti cult among GTA fans will end with people realizing nostalgia is the only thing that character has going for him, you were young people, you liked the first angry mobster with a mouth who came around after Claude Speed, handle that shit :lol:

I don't think many people have noticed that there's a prevailing characteristic among all GTA protagonists, no matter how much evil or mayhem a main character could create around them, no matter how much destruction or despair they may cause, there's always one unfailing aspect about their personality that never fails to shine, among all main speaking characters in all GTA games have it.

Sincerity.

It is ironically best exemplified in GTA IV by Packie when he tells Niko that no matter what bad things he does, he'll never play dumb or be a hypocrite about it, he will never pretend he is anything other than a crook and a killer, unlike most of the villains in GTA, who all have massive, contrived explanations and rationalizations for all of their actions; in contrast, all the main characters, all protagonists, are aware of who they are.

Michael.........is probably the first protagonist (broaden your horizons Joe) that is actually a hypocrite, he sold out his friends, stole their money, and then spent the next decade trying to justify his actions; that somehow this makes him relatable in any way, ANY way demonstrates to me a great leap in videogame writing to me, Michael doesn't think like Niko or CJ or Tommy, he thinks like Dimitri, Big Smoke and Diaz, among a few examples.

On the other hand there's Trevor, another protagonist who is quite likely the most amoral character in videogame history; unlike Michael though, he is also the most traditional GTA main character as well, sincerity and loyalty are his prime values, and while almost everything else is fair game, there is nothing more sacred to him than his friends. And when you compare that kind of thinking with Michael and Franklin's rationale, you can clearly see why endings A and B are so hard-hitting in comparison with C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 am 

NiteOwl wrote:
Neither Trevor or Michael are protagonists in my eyes.

feliciano182 wrote:
Michael is probably the first protagonist (broaden your horizons Joe) that is actually a hypocrite

Wow. Way to be an asshole.
I have my own well thought out opinion, and because it doesn't match yours, you openly infer I'm simply being closeminded.
Can you stop doing this? I've called you out on it a hundred times, and yet you persist. Just stop being an asshole, it's really not that hard.

Everyone saw this, right? I'm not being delusional, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

NiteOwl wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

feliciano182 wrote:
Michael is probably the first protagonist (broaden your horizons Joe) that is actually a hypocrite

I have my own well thought out opinion, and because it doesn't match yours, you openly infer I'm simply being closeminded.
Can you stop doing this? I've called you out on it a hundred times, and yet you persist. Just stop being an asshole, it's really not that hard.

Dude, don´t annoy yourself with internet shit.If it annoys you that much either block it out or put feli on the ignore list.

As to being a hypocrite,I don´t think he was anymore then Niko for instance. Niko was just a more detailed and nuanced character.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 pm 

RuiBK wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

feliciano182 wrote:

Dude, don´t annoy yourself with internet shit.If it annoys you that much either block it out or put feli on the ignore list.

As to being a hypocrite,I don´t think he was anymore then Niko for instance. Niko was just a more detailed and nuanced character.

It's not just internet shit. Feli is not just some random troll. We're supposedly friends. I take my friendships online or not pretty seriously.
I consider most of the guys I've met on the forum to be good personal friends of mine. Yet for some reason Feli persists on being a dick to me.
I can't even figure out why. If he was someone who I didn't interact with outside of the forum, i wouldn't care. No more than when we disagree about something, or madvillain, or whoever else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Vagina.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:17 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I mean, now that Smutty's off slowly becoming famous, Feli needs someone with whom to get into unnecessary fights.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

RuiBK wrote:

I was going to say something Joe, but the brilliance of this advise made me see how this is really the better choice for you :D

RuiBK wrote:

But Niko was always very open about who he was and what he did, and you would get that from half the conversations he was in, mostly with Roman when the latter was being his cheerful, optimistic self. Niko knew he was a hitman, and that there were dire, grim consequences to his actions.

Michael on the other hand, practically begins the game by telling his therapist that there was no other way for him in life but to be a bank robber due to his circumstances, which seems rather absurd once you get to know him through conversations with other characters and as he reveals more of his volatile personality.

And there, is the key difference between both, one accepts himself, while the other justifies himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:05 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
RuiBK wrote:

I was going to say something Joe, but the brilliance of this advise made me see how this is really the better choice for you :D

Dude, you're a terrible "friend", and I'm done considering you one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

feliciano182 wrote:
RuiBK wrote:

RuiBK wrote:

But Niko was always very open about who he was and what he did, and you would get that from half the conversations he was in, mostly with Roman when the latter was being his cheerful, optimistic self. Niko knew he was a hitman, and that there were dire, grim consequences to his actions.

Michael on the other hand, practically begins the game by telling his therapist that there was no other way for him in life but to be a bank robber due to his circumstances, which seems rather absurd once you get to know him through conversations with other characters and as he reveals more of his volatile personality.

And there, is the key difference between both, one accepts himself, while the other justifies himself.

Niko blamed the war and what he did on it for his subsequent choices in life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:33 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I just finished BioShock: Infinite and wow, man, wow. What a fucking trip. Bio :shock:

And sorry, guys, but I've been trying to play GTA: 5 and I ain't feeling it. I can see why people like it, but I can't get into it in any way. I'll keep giving it a shot, especially since I have my shitty controllers and internet partially to blame but I find it needlessly complicated when it comes to the game settings and overall gameplay. While playing it, I kept thinking "God, I sure hope that BioShock: Infinite is not like this" and thankfully, it wasn't. But I can't get into the narrative and gameplay. It's fun for the shits and giggles, but I feel like I spent too much money for just shits and giggles. I've been trying both modes (story and online) and that's how I feel about it when it comes to both. Still, I really want to play this one with friends, so I'll keep giving it a shot until I fully unlock the online mode.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:57 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
And sorry, guys, but I've been trying to play GTA: 5 and I ain't feeling it. I can see why people like it, but I can't get into it in any way. I'll keep giving it a shot, especially since I have my shitty controllers and internet partially to blame but I find it needlessly complicated when it comes to the game settings and overall gameplay. While playing it, I kept thinking "God, I sure hope that BioShock: Infinite is not like this" and thankfully, it wasn't. But I can't get into the narrative and gameplay. It's fun for the shits and giggles, but I feel like I spent too much money for just shits and giggles. I've been trying both modes (story and online) and that's how I feel about it when it comes to both. Still, I really want to play this one with friends, so I'll keep giving it a shot until I fully unlock the online mode.

Really? You're not having fun just crashing cars into things and exploring the ridiculously giant map?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Really? You're not having fun just crashing cars into things and exploring the ridiculously giant map?

That is fun, but it gets boring after doing it for hours and hours straight on and you can't complete the goal you were asked to complete.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

That is fun, but it gets boring after doing it for hours and hours straight on and you can't complete the goal you were asked to complete.

Well to be fair, you did try to jump into online straight away. I gave myself a few weeks to feel the game out before I went into online.
I'm also blown away by that statement. I tried bioshock infinite a couple times at a friend's house, and I couldn't get into it.
imo, GTA V is the absolute pinnacle of open world games. You literally never have nothing to do.
Have you gone parachuting? Have you done races? Have you just simply explored?
Just driving around the city does not equal exploring mind you.
And what goals can't you complete? I'm a level 26 online and I'm only just now running into missions that are getting a little difficult.
The story mode gets better the more you play, but I'm honestly blown away man.
I thought you'd love this game.

And how do you mean fully unlock the online mode? You just complete the prologue, and you're done. It's the only mission they even make you do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:41 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Well to be fair, you did try to jump into online straight away. I gave myself a few weeks to feel the game out before I went into online.
I'm also blown away by that statement. I tried bioshock infinite a couple times at a friend's house, and I couldn't get into it.
imo, GTA V is the absolute pinnacle of open world games. You literally never have nothing to do.
Have you gone parachuting? Have you done races? Have you just simply explored?
Just driving around the city does not equal exploring mind you.
And what goals can't you complete? I'm a level 26 online and I'm only just now running into missions that are getting a little difficult.
The story mode gets better the more you play, but I'm honestly blown away man.
I thought you'd love this game.
And how do you mean fully unlock the online mode? You just complete the prologue, and you're done. It's the only mission they even make you do.

I've also tried the story mode. I've tried a few things here and there, but again, on a character or simple gameplay level, I can't imagine myself staying with this game. And actually to unlock the online mode, you have to finish the tutorial. I finished the prologue and even then, I couldn't fully play the online mode. Again, probably the comparison to something like BioShock:Infinite is unfair, but THAT was a game I could actually enjoy and probably the mix of something I'm actually looking for in a videogame on a narrative, artistic and gameplay level. GTA: 5 just isn't cutting it for me. And maybe because I've been so close to real-life crime, but I can't help but feel a little icky playing it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 pm 
Tired of Earth.

maybe if you lived in 'murica, you would love how much it's a perfect satire of how pathetic we've become.

so clearly we need el grande theft auto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:12 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I can see the satire, it doesn't do much for me. And you talk like I have absolutely no idea what goes on in the USA, which is untrue, I lived there for three years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 am 

Grand Theft Auto V: The game that launched a thousand WCM alienations.

WJK wrote:
maybe if you lived in 'murica, you would love how much it's a perfect satire of how pathetic we've become.

Become?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next