WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: The Next Superman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:25 am 
Indestructible Man

Exhibit A: WB has allowed Brandon Routh's contract to expire.
Exhibit B: WB has to get a new Superman movie into production by 2011 or risk further lawsuits from the Siegel and Shuster estates.

Anyone who remembers the run-up to Superman Returns will undoubtedly remember all the crisscrossing rumors about who was going to play Superman. So we may as well get the speculation rolling now.

But why stop at Superman? How about Lois Lane? The villains? Who should direct and write the screenplay? Sky's the limit for this one, folks!

Post subject: Re: The Next Superman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

The best thing this 'franchise' (*shudder) could do, in my humble opinion anyways, is lose the continuity to the movies starring Christopher Reeve, and get back on track with a movie derived from some of the incredibly rich and voluminous published Superman. Ditch it all, that campy and self-conscious crap. If it continues, we'll end up with Chris Rock or Martin Lawrence in the 'funny' role once inhabited by Richard Pryor. It's stylistically redundant. I found that aspect of the last film cringe-worthy and embarrassing. It's time for a comic-book Superman movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I've suggested this before in a few threads on this forum but Mad Men's Jon Hamm would be my ideal choice to play Superman.

For Lois Lane how about Zooey Deschanel?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:30 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Dunno about the cast, what I do know is that the next superman needs another villain , not Lex Luthor again. And if they are using him, make him the man behind the curtain in a trilogy of movies. And please use Kevin Spacey again.

Superman needs things to punch, not another drama about how a lousy father he is.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:44 pm 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:

No way. Lois Lane needs a fire that Deschanel can only hope to imitate.

I'm afraid it'll take a lot of thinking to come up with a suitable Lane. The best I've got off the top of my head is Rachel McAdams.

Another important question is what to do with the John Williams theme. Personally, I would prefer to see something like what Giacchino did with the Star Trek score: Write a new, dominant theme and sprinkle whispers of the old theme into the score.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
t3cii wrote:

No way. Lois Lane needs a fire that Deschanel can only hope to imitate

I guess a factor to consider is how old would the actress be in relation to whoever plays Superman. Do we go younger? Older?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:30 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I want Darksied or Bizzarro. I don't know who to play them though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm 
Indestructible Man

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I want Darksied or Bizzarro. I don't know who to play them though.

Bizarro always struck me as kind of a lame supervillain and Darkseid seems like more of a second or third-movie villain. You know, something to work towards.

How about Brainiac instead?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:15 pm 
The Watcher

I can only think of two villains I'd like to see in a new Superman movie. Hell, I'd like to see both in the same movie:

General Zod and Doomsday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Another important question is what to do with the John Williams theme. Personally, I would prefer to see something like what Giacchino did with the Star Trek score: Write a new, dominant theme and sprinkle whispers of the old theme into the score.

John Ottman adapted the Superman March for SR. He only changed a little bit, otherwise it was the same exact thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:43 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
General Zod and Doomsday

The first ones been done, and the second should definately be reserved until a later movie, there is no way you should bust out the guy who's only real accomplishment is KILLING Supes in the first movie in a new series

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Bizarro always struck me as kind of a lame supervillain and Darkseid seems like more of a second or third-movie villain. You know, something to work towards.

How about Brainiac instead?

Bizarro is kind of lame, but he could be like Scarecrow in BB, more of a side annoyance to the greater plot of a bigger villain... such as maybe Brainiac. I would not be opposed to Brainiac, I just don't want Lex as the main villain.

*EDIT* For Darksied though I was thinking maybe Michael Dorn (He's probably too old though)

For Brainiac... another ST alum, Brent Spiner

And for SUpes, Bradley Cooper I bet he could do it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:29 pm 

bumping (because my edits were going unnoticed and I want discussion)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Metallo.

back when lois and clark was on, the metallo episode was one of my fave's and i think metallo would be a perfect fighting villain, better than bizarro, and robots are cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Zack should ditch Sucker Punch and do Superman.That way we would have a good superman movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:55 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

RuiBK wrote:
Zack should do Superman. That way we would have a good superman movie.

Debatable........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:00 am 

I actually think that'd be a bad career move for Zach because he's ONLY done remakes/adaptations, I want him to do some original stuff and we can see how good of a director he is not just how good of an adaptor he is

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:13 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

I have ideas for a trilogy story that features Luthor, Braniac, Bizzarro, The Parasite, Metallo, Zod and his Evil Kryptonians and of course, Intergang.

I'd really like to deal with the impact of Superman on the world, and not just deal in the adventure, though there'd be plenty of that. Pseudo origin for the first film with Intergang as the major threat, Braniac in the second, bringing Metallo, The Parasite and Bizzarro into play, and Zod and Supergirl in the third story. I'd like to see Luthor as a decent person before Superman's presence causes him to spiral into the Luthor we know and love. I think that'd be a decent angle to play with. And I'd like to see Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis elements coexist, not just a rehash of any one version of the character. I think Singer was trending that way, but SUPERMAN RETURNS felt very much like a continuation of the Donner film. Granted, it was supposed to. I like Doomsday, but I think that's a story best told in the comics and animation, though I don't outright hate Kevin Smith's rendition of the character in his SUPERMAN LIVES script.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:19 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

The Guard wrote:
I have ideas for a trilogy story that features Luthor, Braniac, Bizzarro, The Parasite, Metallo, Zod and his Evil Kryptonians and of course, Intergang.

I'd really like to deal with the impact of Superman on the world, and not just deal in the adventure, though there'd be plenty of that. Pseudo origin for the first film with Intergang as the major threat, Braniac in the second, bringing Metallo, The Parasite and Bizzarro into play, and Zod and Supergirl in the third story. I'd like to see Luthor as a decent person before Superman's presence causes him to spiral into the Luthor we know and love. I think that'd be a decent angle to play with. And I'd like to see Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis elements coexist, not just a rehash of any one version of the character. I think Singer was trending that way, but SUPERMAN RETURNS felt very much like a continuation of the Donner film. Granted, it was supposed to. I like Doomsday, but I think that's a story best told in the comics and animation, though I don't outright hate Kevin Smith's rendition of the character in his SUPERMAN LIVES script.

Well, he had to deal with the giant spider thing.
One question, Guard: don't you think your idea of the second movie in the trilogy has a little too much villains? I mean, it would be like TF2, a lot of robots and little screentime. I agree with the Luthor thing, and Kevin Spacey would be a great acting choice.

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:15 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Quote:
Well, he had to deal with the giant spider thing.

True. Although frankly, the giant spider ended up being a Thanagarian Snare Beast, which is pretty darn cool.

Quote:
One question, Guard: don't you think your idea of the second movie in the trilogy has a little too much villains? I mean, it would be like TF2, a lot of robots and little screentime. I agree with the Luthor thing, and Kevin Spacey would be a great acting choice.

It's quite a few villains, yes. I think Metropolis, at some point, needs to be a metahuman battleground. I don't want to just manufacture disasters, I want to see disasters manufactured, if that makes any sense. I really would like there to be a reason for an SCU to exist by the third story, and metahuman tensions to be an issue as well.

Braniac is more of a presence throughout most of the story than an outright villain, though his motivations would be apparent and hopefully, evolving. I'm also toying with an idea that pseudo merges Braniac and The Eradicator in an arc that would carry over into a third story, without actually merging them into one character.

Bizarro, Metallo, and The Parasite are classics, and could carry a film each, I suppose, but I don't think they really should. John Corben would be an element that carried over from the first story, and I don't particularly like the nature of the Parasite in the comics...I think he works better as an alien force. Bizarro is...well, he's Bizarro. He's more important for how he affects Superman's approach to his mission than any inherently powerful character development.

I think it'd be better to see Braniac use them all as pawns of a sort, use them thematically make some statements about human VS machine thinking, to gauge Superman's power levels, and to drain him before any combat with him becomes necessary. Storywise, essentially they pose the initial physical threats to Superman, serve to make the public question his existence, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1977 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next