WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dear Mr. Watchman
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Thursday on forum for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is an imageboard loser, an asshole, a naive oppurtunist, a comic snob, and an AAAAAA.
Does that answer your question?
Sincerely yours, the Watchmen Club.

Post subject: Re: Dear Mr. Watchman
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Fuck yeah I'm Anthony Michael Hall.

Also, I think this is needed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yj0Wzg86H8

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

So I'm the one fucking godziller ?

Not cool Smutty.

At least I'm the comic snob :D !

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 pm 
Indestructible Man

Okay, guys. Here's the deal.

Like it or not, Watchman is a member of this forum. Unless and until he does something worthy of a ban, he is welcome here. He may have made his arguments in the least convincing way possible, but I should hope that we could be good enough to respond with reasoned argument instead of outright mockery. Even apathy would be better than making fun of him outright.

The bottom line is that threads like this one -- made for the sole purpose of laughing at a registered member -- are not acceptable. It's not constructive, it's not funny and it only makes us look bad. We're better than that.

Any questions?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Any questions?

What if he constantly belittles and insults us and does the exact same shit he's been doing since he got here? Also, I did attempt to legitimately answer shit in his last thread (despite how silly a subject it was).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Okay, guys. Here's the deal.

Like it or not, Watchman is a member of this forum. Unless and until he does something worthy of a ban, he is welcome here. He may have made his arguments in the least convincing way possible, but I should hope that we could be good enough to respond with reasoned argument instead of outright mockery. Even apathy would be better than making fun of him outright.

The bottom line is that threads like this one -- made for the sole purpose of laughing at a registered member -- are not acceptable. It's not constructive, it's not funny and it only makes us look bad. We're better than that.

Any questions?

This originally wasn't meant to be a thread, but by the time I'd written it and made the picture you'd locked the thread, and I wasn't about to waste this.
He's called me an idiot, a moron and a fuckhead, each time for absolutely no reason, and I aint one to let things go.
Rather than flaming people I prefer to respond with humour and satire, but it appears that now I can't do that, so it seems to me that my options are now to start swearing back at him and returning this forum to the kingmob days, or just leaving.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 pm 

Furthermore, my post doesn't even say anything about Watchman himself, but about us as a forum, and it was my own toungue and cheek way of saying that this forum is what it is and we are who we are and if he doesn't like it he can fuck off, but again, it appears that maybe I would've been better off saying "If you don't like our forum then just fuck off" than actually trying to do it in a satirical way.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm 

Smutty wrote:
Rather than flaming people I prefer to respond with humour and satire, but it appears that now I can't do that, so it seems to me that my options are now to start swearing back at him and returning this forum to the kingmob days, or just leaving.

The day where Smutts and Curi collided, history in the making folks !

Quite frankly Curi, coming from me, guilty of all sorts of ad hominem insults perpetrated on this forum, I think Smutty's answer is pretty reasonable and polite considering watchman's behavior, just because you want to gut him yourself doesn't mean others shouldn't intervene :lol: !

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:08 pm 

I liked the satirical way and I'd totally like to be Ally Sheedy.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:10 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:

You're scaring me !

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:20 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

You're scaring me !

If I was a girl, I'd totally eat cereal sandwiches and be generally socially awkward.

Which is...y'know, way different from how I am now..

Edit: Oh wait, you're the jock. Yeah, now I understand your fears.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:11 am 
Indestructible Man

In an ideal world, we could simply have ignored Watchman without provoking him or making fun of him (don't feed the trolls, and all that). In an ideal world, this upstart might have cleaned up his act, developed a sense of humor and started arguing in a way that made sense. In an ideal world, if Watchman had to go away, he might not have gone away angry.

Fortunately, judging from his last couple of posts, I think it's safe to assume that our guest will not be coming back. I hope we'll be good enough to grant him another chance if and when he does. In the meantime, all that's left is to figure out what to do among ourselves.

To start with, I've learned that when I close a thread, I should make it clear why. When I closed the other threads, I thought it would send a clear signal that I didn't approve of where the threads in question were going. Apparently, I figured wrong and the discussion continued anyway.

In any case, I don't approve of infighting. Constructive argument is one thing, friendly jabs and inside jokes are another, but it pains me to see members mocking each other on this forum. Always has. Recently, our arguments have been friendly in nature and quick to resolve themselves. I was hoping that Watchman would adapt to this new environment or to leave without doing too much damage. Clearly, I gave him too much credit and I accept that as my fault.

In regards to this thread, the very idea of a thread made specifically to make fun of another member repulses me. I did not know that the thread was only made because the original post was intended for a locked thread, though again, I should probably have anticipated that as a result. I will grant that after reading your statement of humorous intent, I was able to get a laugh out of the original post. However, wasn't it just a touch tactless to try joking with someone who so clearly doesn't get our style of humor? Or am I just taking this too seriously all of a sudden?

The bottom line is that I want this place to be fun and welcoming. As I said in a PM that I just sent to Watchman (though I doubt he'll ever read it), "we're here to talk about what we love and to have fun doing it." I feel like I didn't do my part in meeting that lofty goal and I apologize for it. Watchman didn't help matters, obviously, being a square peg trying to force his way into a round hole. But that doesn't make up for my failures as a moderator.

Look, could we please just forgive and forget this whole thing ever happened?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
However, wasn't it just a touch tactless to try joking with someone who so clearly doesn't get our style of humor? Or am I just taking this too seriously all of a sudden?

I know that was probably meant to be rhetorical, and I understand where you're coming from, but I do think you're taking it a tad too seriously. I don't really approve of directly insulting watchman, but the whole satire route seems pretty acceptable to me. I don't know, he's directly insulted us and the forum itself and if Smutty has the restraint to just make a Breakfast Club image instead of telling him to fuck off, I say let it be. But then again, I'm not a moderator. But remember Satan's Slut? We jabbed at him/her (god only knows) a bit too.

feliciano182 wrote:
So I'm the one fucking godziller ?

Not cool Smutty.

Oh god, I didn't see this until now. Now my post about being Ally Sheedy is just terrible.

feliciano182 wrote:
At least I'm the comic snob :D !

*gives a dubious look*

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 am 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:
I know that was probably meant to be rhetorical, and I understand where you're coming from, but I do think you're taking it a tad too seriously.

I do that a lot more often than you might think.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:36 am 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
In an ideal world, we could simply have ignored Watchman without provoking him or making fun of him (don't feed the trolls, and all that). In an ideal world, this upstart might have cleaned up his act, developed a sense of humor and started arguing in a way that made sense. In an ideal world, if Watchman had to go away, he might not have gone away angry.

Fortunately, judging from his last couple of posts, I think it's safe to assume that our guest will not be coming back. I hope we'll be good enough to grant him another chance if and when he does. In the meantime, all that's left is to figure out what to do among ourselves.

To start with, I've learned that when I close a thread, I should make it clear why. When I closed the other threads, I thought it would send a clear signal that I didn't approve of where the threads in question were going. Apparently, I figured wrong and the discussion continued anyway.

In any case, I don't approve of infighting. Constructive argument is one thing, friendly jabs and inside jokes are another, but it pains me to see members mocking each other on this forum. Always has. Recently, our arguments have been friendly in nature and quick to resolve themselves. I was hoping that Watchman would adapt to this new environment or to leave without doing too much damage. Clearly, I gave him too much credit and I accept that as my fault.

In regards to this thread, the very idea of a thread made specifically to make fun of another member repulses me. I did not know that the thread was only made because the original post was intended for a locked thread, though again, I should probably have anticipated that as a result. I will grant that after reading your statement of humorous intent, I was able to get a laugh out of the original post. However, wasn't it just a touch tactless to try joking with someone who so clearly doesn't get our style of humor? Or am I just taking this too seriously all of a sudden?

The bottom line is that I want this place to be fun and welcoming. As I said in a PM that I just sent to Watchman (though I doubt he'll ever read it), "we're here to talk about what we love and to have fun doing it." I feel like I didn't do my part in meeting that lofty goal and I apologize for it. Watchman didn't help matters, obviously, being a square peg trying to force his way into a round hole. But that doesn't make up for my failures as a moderator.

Look, could we please just forgive and forget this whole thing ever happened?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

it's a shame he probably won't be back, it's rare enough that we get new members, the most recent one being ancyclostomiasis i guess,
it takes a while to break through into the group, but like i said in the veidt vs blake thread, this kind of humour and abuse is all part of a rite of passage, and if he'd stayed and learned our ways, he could have probably had a lot of fun, here in the place i have decided to call Psi Kappa Mu,

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:28 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

ImageImageImage

Fixed.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:41 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

either make all the letter uppercase or lowercase, at least psi looks kind of like a W in both cases, omega looks mothing like a W in uppercase :P :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

YES BUT IT'S STILL THE GREEK EQUIVALENT OF THE W
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAωωωωωωωDDD