WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
I don't think it's supposed to be literal.

I'm not sure that contradicts my point. It's still a dumb design. In fact, they could have just used any random ink blot design and it would have worked better visually. Maybe if the blots weren't so perfect, it wouldn't look so amateurish.

Yeah, but you compared it to other designs that were in-story and clearly meant to be taken literally. This is just a cover design.

t3cii wrote:
What? Is it that I mistakingly said "Silk Spectre" instead of "Silk Spectre II", or that I think it's the best cover of the bunch?

Not that it's bad, but it's easily one of the least impressive of the bunch.

More stuff doesn't equal good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:35 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Godziller66 wrote:
Yeah, but you compared it to other designs that were in-story and clearly meant to be taken literally. This is just a cover design.

I compared it to others designs as an example of what they could have done with the cover. I understand the cover isn't meant to be taken literally, I just think it's a dumb design.

Godziller66 wrote:

I think we're approaching the covers from two different perspectives. You seem to be more concerned with content, while I'm more concerned with design, and the Silk Spectre cover has a very good design. It has a lot of elements, but they all tie in very well together. I like the color scheme. I like the nod to Dave Gibbons. I like that it has an almost art nouveau feel to it. It has nothing to do with "more stuff equaling good".

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 pm 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:

Of course not, better stuff equals good.

Silk Spectre's HAS the better color palette of all the other covers, and the image suits her well, it evokes precisely the things that are important about her character.

Rorschach's is perfect fangasm for Rorschach groupies:

"OHMYGAWD! Look, it's Rorchach !"

*Looks closer*

"OHMYGAWD!!! Look, it's Rorschach AGAIN !"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Indestructible Man

Well, can we all at least agree that the Dr. Manhattan one is both the worst and most confusing?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:
Well, can we all at least agree that the Dr. Manhattan one is both the worst and most confusing?

Nope, that's The Comedian's.

How the hell does Jon and Laurie "confuse" you ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 pm 
Indestructible Man

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Nope, that's The Comedian's.

How the hell does Jon and Laurie "confuse" you ?

First of all, The Comedian's isn't the least bit confusing.

Second, what the hell are Jon and Laurie doing on that cover? Why is he holding her? Why does she look shocked?

Just what the hell?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I don't want to dump on the covers. They are covers, after all. But it's hard to say which is the worst. The Jon cover is dull. The Nite Owl II cover is drawn well, but that's really more of a Rorschach type of cover, I think. The Comedian could be better. We've seen a pretty cool image of him lighting his cigar with a molotov cocktail. This is just a closeup of his mask.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:49 pm 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:
The Comedian could be better. We've seen a pretty cool image of him lighting his cigar with a molotov cocktail. This is just a closeup of his mask.

And smiling maniacally.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:
First of all, The Comedian's isn't the least bit confusing.

It sucks, it looks rushed and roughly finished with CGI coloring.

Godziller66 wrote:
Second, what the hell are Jon and Laurie doing on that cover? Why is he holding her? Why does she look shocked?

Just what the hell?

Maybe he is showing her something ? Like he actually does in the comic when he asks her to see things as he sees them ?

I don't know how you got through the original comic if you found that cover to be confusing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Indestructible Man

Godziller66 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:
Rorschach ones look like fan-art/bad jokes (tough guy Rorschach inside the mask?? Shudderr).

Seriously? That's one of the best ones.

I think it's one of the worst. It's a bit fan poster-y to me. When the Watchmen movie was in pre production, I came up with a poster idea where it was a closeup of Rorschach's mask with the ink blots forming the other characters in the story. Here his blots form...himself? That's stupid. Rorschach's blots often made distinct images such as the Hiroshima Lovers, or a butterfly. They could used any number of images relevant to watchmen. The execution is also off.

I don't think it's supposed to be literal. It's like the Ozy cover, he's not actually going to levitate.

AYB, you need to back me up here since we fangasmed all over this.

AYB in.
I don't know if I was the only one, but I didn't notice it at first. All I thought it was going for was Rorschach realism and a not-so-subtle hint of ultraviolence.
Then I shat bricks and couldn't unsee it. I half-suspect that was the desired effect, that people glance at it in a comics shop and then brainsplode.
Sure, it could be fan art, but as I was saying to RJ yesterday, we've already gotten some pretty great fan art out of this.
As for criticisms of the concept (or even the pose!!), consider this:
The inner image(s) match that main one. In which case the image is playing with time using perspective. It's done occasionally in comics, given its nature, but I've never seen it like this. Watchmen was, in contrast, highly formal. This signals a break. And given what you quoted yesterday, t3cii, I think it's pretty cool that there's (hopefully) ambition and experimentation going into how these stories are told.
Anywho, as a potential reading of the image, let's say we've taken the POV of a victim. Rorschach is terrifying and there's no escape (see: claustrophobia of whole image filled). Maybe that's your blood, maybe not. You knew this moment was coming, as soon as you saw him. During that long, dreadful walk towards you, time stood still. And now it keeps replaying in your mind as you await the inevitable.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a pretty damn cool non-linear representation. Or just fantastic fan art, and there's nothing wrong with that.
The Doctor Manhattan one, on the other hand... now that's just baffling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:07 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I don't know if I was the only one, but I didn't notice it at first. All I thought it was going for was Rorschach realism and a not-so-subtle hint of ultraviolence.
Then I shat bricks and couldn't unsee it. I half-suspect that was the desired effect, that people glance at it in a comics shop and then brainsplode.

See, I think it's hard not to see it. It looks like they plopped Rorschach in the middle of the mask.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
This signals a break. And given what you quoted yesterday, t3cii, I think it's pretty cool that there's (hopefully) ambition and experimentation going into how these stories are told.
Anywho, as a potential reading of the image, let's say we've taken the POV of a victim. Rorschach is terrifying and there's no escape (see: claustrophobia of whole image filled). Maybe that's your blood, maybe not. You knew this moment was coming, as soon as you saw him. During that long, dreadful walk towards you, time stood still. And now it keeps replaying in your mind as you await the inevitable.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a pretty damn cool non-linear representation.

That's definitely an interesting interpretation, but since this is a cover, I just suspect they thought it would look cool. The opportunity to play around with Rorschach's mask would be too great to pass up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:
I just suspect they thought it would look cool. The opportunity to play around with Rorschach's mask would be too great to pass up.

That too; there's no denying that. But I don't think the matching poses are without significance.

Isn't it ironic that we're debating what we see in Rorschach blots?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:29 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

AYBGerrardo wrote:
t3cii wrote:
I just suspect they thought it would look cool. The opportunity to play around with Rorschach's mask would be too great to pass up.

That too; there's no denying that. But I don't think the matching poses are without significance.

These new Watchmen stories just may breathe some new life into this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 pm 
Indestructible Man

t3cii wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
t3cii wrote:

These new Watchmen stories just may breathe some new life into this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etyzsrLhChM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
It's in the article.

yes you are right, it's the Minutemen one missing from the article, and the Nite Owl one missing from the forum post.

Fixed in both places. Thanks for catching that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Godziller66 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Silk Spectre cover is probably the best.

It actually is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 pm 
Indestructible Man

Smutty wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

It actually is.

Then again, you're the only Watchmen fan who likes Laurie :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I do like the covers. Silk Spectre and Comedian are my favorites.

I guess my main objection to more Watchmen stories is that I always liked how Watchmen was a single complete story, unlike Spider-Man or Batman which just refuse to end. It seems like more stories will spoil the purity of the original.

It's also clearly a shameless cash-in, not genuine inspiration. The movie brought Watchmen back into the spotlight and that is why these prequels are being made now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:25 pm 
Indestructible Man

I think the only one I want to read is Crimson Corsair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:53 pm 
Indestructible Man

feliciano182 wrote:
Smutty wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
t3cii wrote:

It actually is.

Then again, you're the only Watchmen fan who likes Laurie :lol:

Since when was laurie hated?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next