WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

What do you think of MCR's "Desolation Row" Cover?
Love it. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Ehhh. 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
Hate it. 38%  38%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 pm 
The Watcher

It seems like a lot of fans hate the MCR cover version of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" which will be used for the movie's end credits. I wanted to put this poll up to get a quick read of what everyone thinks.

In case you haven't heard it yet, listen here.

[Mods: Don't merge this with another thread. Merging kills the poll, and I had that happen once before. Thanks.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:02 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It's just not my kind of music. It's a good song, I think, but I'm not wowed by it simply because I don't really dig MCR or any of their music to begin with. Look at all the YouTube comments, and you can tell that the people who like this sort of thing are just smitten by it, which tells me it's a good song even though I don't see the hoopla.

As for how it works in the movie . . . March 6th isn't that far off, so I'd rather wait and see.

Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

As long as seeing the end credit sequence doesn't leave a sour taste in my mouth like it did for Slumdog Millionaire...

That being said I don't think their cover captures any relatively close to a Watchmen vibe. I don't think it'll work very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Listening to it a second time, I admit that it's starting to grow on me.

However, just going from Rorschach's Journal to this won't possibly work. If the film ends with a fade to black, the song starts out slow and soft, then gradually escalates to what we're listening here, then that could actually be pretty cool.

I won't hold my breath, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:07 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

What's with these shite options?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

I don't particularly like the song (but I don't hate it). I just can't see this at the end of a Watchmen movie. The mood...doesn't fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Alot of the comments from the mcr fans makes it seem as if they don't know it's a dylan song.
A sad time for music, is it not?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
Vigilante

Well, it doesn't make me want to stab my eardrums out, but it's definitely not the sort of thing I'd listen to by choice.

I'll also agree that it really doesn't have the vibe I was expecting for this, but then again, neither do most of the other songs said to be on the soundtrack. So, even though I don't really like it, I'm gonna keep an open mind and hope that it ends up being more fitting than I currently imagine it to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:40 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

I was trying to keep an open mind about it, but after listening to it . . . I fucking hate it. Where is the artistry or soul that Dylan brought to it? It's nothing but a bad, mostly-screamed version of a classic song. Even if you disagree with me, surely you will agree it doesn't belong in anything Watchmen-related. And that's my opinionated rant of the day. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 pm 
Crimebuster

I'd really prefer something else. Something simple yet powerful. "Analyse" by Thom Yorke would work great especially with the lyrics but it's already been done flawlessly by "The Prestige" already... Oh well.

That said, I won't mind it as long as end credit is just credit bills and doesn't have any footage accompanying with it. That way, I can quickly leave :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 pm 
New Frontiersman

Crap!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

As I said in the other thread, I don't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Okay... I think some of you are being a little harsh.
Do I want to listen to the song 24/7 until it's top played on my ipod? No.
Do I want to draw and quarter My Chemical Romance for recording it? No.
The track somewhat decently replicates that classic Punk sound... and it does have some great lyrics. ;) Anyways, the fact is, we could be getting a lot worse. When I first heard that My Chemical Romance would be doing a Bob Dylan cover for the end credits... I cringed a little. But admit it, we could definitely have been stuck with something worse. Also, we don't know exactly how it's being used yet. Will it immediately cut to the track? Will we start to hear it in the background during the final scene? Nobody knows yet. The mood of the song is not exactly what I would imagine for the end of Watchmen, but, like someone else said, I might be so excited by the awesomeness of the Watchmen movie that I'll want to hear something upbeat.

We're lucky that our favorite GN is getting this incredible treatment. Watch any of the behind the scenes journals, cast and crew interviews, and even the interview with Gerard Way, and you know that every single person involved in the Watchmen movie is giving 110% to make it the best it can be. Snyder has made this movie closer to the GN than anyone before him dared to, and we should all be thankful. Can we really nitpick about what song they're going to be playing at the end credits... when we almost had Slingshot instead of Silk Spectre? Don't love it, don't hate it, don't have a right to complain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:09 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I actually like it, and I am no fan of music today. I do think the original should've been played at the end, but I think this will work just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:22 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Like I said in the other thread, cutting from black after Rorschach's journal possibly getting picked up, to black, and then this song turned up to 11... great work. And I have done a bunch of soundtracks/song sequencing for documentary and short film, so this is my professional opinion (sorry if that sounds like I'm being egotistical, not intentional. I just mean this is definitely one move that I know works). Regardless of the fact I love loud, fast, energetic music (at least as much as I love Erik Satie), It's good to follow a visual/story surprise like that one with a sonic echo or counterpart. And as far as it not being in tune with the other themes and threads from the film, isn't this what a Top-knot'd listen to?

Last edited by Mister Pain on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Eh. Sounds stupid and sort of meh for the credits. Oh well. I'm over it.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:39 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

AT LEAST it doesn't sound "now". I can imagine knots blasting this from their boom-boxes, as Mister Pain brings up. It belongs to the era, sonically.

Could be much, much worse. I'll take this over Muse or Smashing Pumpkins any day.

of life to the decoding of the undulation of things."
-Nabokov, "Signs and Symbols"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:02 am 
A pretty butterfly.

T.V. wrote:
AT LEAST it doesn't sound "now". I can imagine knots blasting this from their boom-boxes, as Mister Pain brings up. It belongs to the era, sonically.

It would be cool if in the context of the film the song was done by Pale Horse. Then I could totally get behind it's inclusion in the film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

If they have hundreds of thousands of knot-tops rockin' out to Pale Horse just as the "event" overtakes New York, I couldn't care less if the new ending was an invasion of giant hamsters, because that would be the coolest thing since Sam Elliot's mustache.

Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Sasso wrote:
T.V. wrote:

It would be cool if in the context of the film the song was done by Pale Horse. Then I could totally get behind it's inclusion in the film.

Well apparently that's how it's being played out in the music video is being shot and directed by Mr. Snyder. Yes it would be good if it was contextualised in the movie that way. Even a poster in the background or something...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next