WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Overall, what is your reaction to Zack's answers in part I
It improved my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm excited - now more than ever before. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I knew Snyder was doing a good job. 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
It didn't change my opinion, but I'm still on the fence about Snyder in general. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I still feel Snyder will deliver a poor adaptation. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
It lessened my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm more worried now that he's going to screw it up. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:03 pm 
The Watcher

Watchmen movie director answers fan questions in this exclusive WatchmenComicMovie.com feature.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/021108-zack-snyder-watchmen-interview.php

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:09 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

thank you ddc, snyder and WB! This is awesome!
He's given some great details here, and great in terms of what we want to see
I'm particularly interested in his response to ManOWar's question - the technique works really well in the GN, but I haven't seen it used in movies that much
also its great how hank_chinaski's question and Keith's one have answers that combine to give a really good idea of what Zack's gonna do with the alternate timeline

Can't wait for part II - thanks again!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm 
I DID IT!

wow...

You really hear the thought put into this.
I would expect none less then the one who makes the jump from panel to screen.
Truly an honor to be apart of this website!

Thank you Zack and DDC!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

You rock, DoomsdayClock. Thanks to you and Zack Snyder for doing this for the fans — we appreciate it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:19 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'd like to thank the Academy...

...and by "Academy" I mean DD, Curi and Zacky.

Thanks guys!

I hope that Zack uses symmetry in his shots "alot" as opposed to "whenever he can"...! :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

WOOO!!! one of my questions was asked, and answered by the main man himself. im happy. Thank you Soooo much ddc, zack, and curiosity. you guys made my day.

i think hes gonna do a great job on the movie. this only reinforces my hope.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:10 pm 
New Frontiersman

Quote:
Including showing Dr. Manhattan’s technology and what he's working on as far as world universal energy.

Judging by those official production stills from a while back, no obvious sign in the movie of the electric cars of the comic made possible by Manhattan's synthesis of lithium to mass-produce the necessary polyacetylene batteries.

I'm not aware of there being any other reference to Dr Manhattan manufactured energy sources in the comic, certainly not on a "world universal" scale.

I do know a previous script draft featured a joint venture between Manhattan and Veidt to produce a global energy source, which Veidt then went on to pervert by using the technology as an energy weapon to attack New York instead of a fake alien creature. If I remember correctly, did one of the movie's extras leaking details not see a prop magazine cover depicting Manhattan and Veidt together (again, not appearing in the comic), perhaps promoting a joint venture created for the movie?

And 'No Comment' from the director on the very subject of the alien plot.

There are more Q than A...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 pm 
New Frontiersman

I'm John P! I'm John P! That was a great Q & A DD. It really did bring out a lot of smaller details on the movie we'll be seeing. Also, thank you so much Zack for taking the time to talk with a few fans. It really means a lot. I look forward to part two.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Thanks so much. BTW, I just made a Watchmen movie quiz at http://apps.facebook.com/flixster/quiz?q=773996&lsrc= it features data from this interview and photos from this site. I can strike it if you think it is inappropriate, DD-- just let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:31 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

meh. :|

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:31 pm 
The Watcher

Mannie Bothans wrote:
Thanks so much. BTW, I just made a Watchmen movie quiz at http://apps.facebook.com/flixster/quiz?q=773996&lsrc= it features data from this interview and photos from this site. I can strike it if you think it is inappropriate, DD-- just let me know.

No problem. It looks cool. I got 100%. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:40 pm 
Tired of Earth.

To be honest, I was expecting these questions to be Part II. Trust me, guys: The juiciest is yet to come.

I'm very happy with JDsGirlBev's question. I'm sure there's a ton of history Snyder couldn't mention, but he had a great response all the same. I guess it was all just a combination of time and luck.

The response to hank_chinaski's question shows just how deeply Snyder understands the stakes. His respect for the source material and desire to make it into a great movie are palpable.

The approach toward electric cars, etc. is an interesting one. It is a tricky balancing act to show that this is 1985, but not the 1985 of twenty years ago. And yes, the comment on "world universal energy" is definitely hurm-worthy after all the previous screenplay drafts we've seen.

Great to see that Snyder is making an effort to keep the visual and textual quirks of the graphic novel. He obviously wants to put them in the movie and I can't wait to see how he does it.

It's going to take a lot of cinematic know-how to create the apocalyptic atmosphere without beating the audience over the head about it. Snyder acknowledges that he doesn't want to overstate how the book was written, and I respect that. Still, the book didn't have to overstate the threat of nuclear Armageddon because of the time in which the book was published. Again, it goes back to creating a tangible and believable 1985 that never really existed.

This was every bit the article I'd been anticipating for two-and-a-half months. And like I said, the best questions are still ahead. Stay tuned, my friends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:46 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I'd take seeing a single finished shot of Rorschach or the Comedian over the answers to any of these questions. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:47 pm 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
To be honest, I was expecting these questions to be Part II. Trust me, guys: The juiciest is yet to come.

Yes, I had to figure out how to break the article up, and all of these questions were general enough about the movie making process that they fit well together. The next batch are very specific.

Plus, if I was going to do two parts (and you can see how much I had in part I, so it had to be two parts) I'd need to leave the best for last.

t3cii wrote:
Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I'd take seeing a single finished shot of Rorschach or the Comedian over the answers to any of these questions. Sorry.

I am working on getting some photos to accompany the articles...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Thanks for giving us all this opportunity DD. And thanks to Zack for answering. May I link this article to my forum?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:29 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

I think the source material lends to the whole "impending doom" atmosphere by itself quite well. Once Doc Manhattan leaves Earth, all hell starts to break loose. I mean look at the chaos of Rorschach's prison escape scene and the surrounding chapters, it's all very hectic and tense... and I just read this for the first time last year. I'm only 21, so I don't have any past memories of how the Cold War felt either.

Looks like Thursday's Q & A's will be bean-juicetastic.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:30 pm 
The Watcher

JDsgirlBev wrote:
Thanks for giving us all this opportunity DD. And thanks to Zack for answering. May I link this article to my forum?

No problem. Sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:43 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Great to see how passionate and focused Zack is on the presentation. I agree that the audience will have to be eased into this alternate timeline as far as throwing flying cars and tobacco crackpipes at us. Great questions, people. Can't wait to see some of these "specifics." And yes, a picture of any character would be the perfect cherry on top.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:01 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I am working on getting some photos to accompany the articles...

Now we're talkin' :) !

Too be fair to you and everyone else, I don't have a problem with the questions asked. It just takes seeing stuff from the set to get me amped up. Remember how exciting it was when we saw those first set photos?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:06 pm 
New Frontiersman

Good questions, great answers. Thanks to Zack, Curiosity, and DD (with extra thanks if you really can get a picture to accompany the article).

This is definitely my favorite part:

Quote:
It seemed most important to tell the story of the advent of the Minutemen and later Dr. Manhattan.

It supports a couple of things I was hoping might show up in the film, namely:

- The Minutemen being called the Minutemen. None of that Watchmen/New Watchmen crap, please.
- The Minutemen being shown as important. Though most members of the team are deceased by the end of the story, each one is important to both the plot and the general deconstruction of the superhero that the graphic novel focuses on. To cut out the tiny bits of information we are given on all of them (including those that barely got any lines in the story - I'm looking at you, Dollar Bill) may ruin the Watchmen universe.